• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Naming convention confusion (Newbie Question)

CraigB

I am confused regarding the naming (and advertising of) California Specials. Every car I have seen advertised is advertised as a GT/CS yet many of them have C code VIN's. I would assume if standard mustang naming conventions were used that the GT could only be used on J,S,R and Q code cars?

Did all California Specials have the GT/CS on the striping or just the real GT models?

I am a little confused, any help would be appreciated.

CraigB

BrandonB

All GT/CS's have the striping regardless of the engine the GT/CS was a alternative package just like if you ordered a GT package. its got specific things it came with i.e. the striping and the end caps, lights and side scoops and hood locks. you could choose any size engine for the GT/CS ranging from I6 to 429 (not positive on the 429 but you get the point).
Anyways Im sure there will be others along the way to help you figure it out more clearly. I took cough meds and all that good junk that comes with being sick so I prolly forgot stuff. Everyone here will help you out, you couldnt be in better hands.

mach1baby390

The majority of your GT/CS cars were "C" code 289 cars, I believe and correct me if I'm wrong roughly 65% of the production were 289 cars, so really the vast majority are going to be "C" codes, all the GT/CS package was was an exterior package added to a Mustang whether it be a basic car to a dressed up GT .
Scott
Meadowlark Yellow

darb

The GT package was only available on vehicles with an engine package greater than a 289.

Brad

gtcsjcode

To be an actual GT, it would have had to come with a 4 barrel Carb. V8 The GT/CS is a model that was made specifically as a promotional car. Only certain DSO's got these cars to sell. It's almost like the 2001 Mustang "Bullitt Edition", that was a promotional car, or look at the 40th Anniversary edition of the Mustang. I saw a 40th edition of the convertible and it was sort of rare due to it's production, and the promotional aspect of that paticular model. All 2004 40th anniversary mustangs have the emblems, but there were only a few that were made specifically as promotional, ie...color, console options, color of interior, special emblems...etc...

The GT/CS was a promotional car for 1968 and certain dealers sold these cars. The fact that the GT on the GT/CS might make some confussed, the fact is that an actual GT had a V8 that was 4bbl, also the suspension was beefed up and then there were the wheel options. The regular mustang had a GT option that included a GT package that included the fog lights, GT emblems and gt options.

All California Specials had the GTCS on the side scoops, but what make it a real GT is that the GTCS had to have come with a 4bbl V8.

Like previuosly posted, Alot of the GTCS's came with the V8 289 2bbl, This would not be an actual GT, but the car is still a GTCS.

If you can find P Newitts recognition and owners manual, you will have a book with all the facts about the GTCS, it explains it's origin and the story about how this car came about.

Theres a registry that was started and is updated on this web site. If your not in the registry and do have one of these cars, it help to locate and keep track of these jewels.

IMOA, if you have a GTCS, and it's a C code or any other codes ie... J, S, X, Q, R, or even T code, you still have a GTCS and these are rare cars to me and others. The fact that these are rare and fun and eye catching. Just remember, California Made it Happen!

68sunlitgold

Actually, Darb is correct any engine above the 289 could have the GT package. I only say that because the X-code is a 2 bbl carbarator.

Doug

66joej

Actually the 390 2V engine would not qualify a car to be a GT in 1968. The car had to have a 4V engine as indicated in the Mustang Recognition Guide.
The best way to detemine if a GTCS car is a true GT is with a Ford 999 History sheet or a Kevin Marti report.

68gt390

66joej is correct. The 390 2V does not qualify as a true GT. An article I have from Mustang Monthly from 1991 titled "Mustang GT: Recognition" states the following
"The GT package was a performance and styling upgrade of existing base models. The GT's standard powertrain included the 225 horsepower 289-4V engine, and only four-barrel equipped Mustangs could receive the GT package. C-code two-barrel engines were never legitimate GT's."

Therefore, only A code, K code, J code, S code, R code, and a few W code cars were true GT's. If memory serves me correct there were no W code (427 sideoilers) mustangs produced in 1968 and the few that were produced prior to 1968 were sold only to those that had registered race credentials. In 1968 Ford dropped the A code 289 4V and adopted the 302 power plant although the C code 289 2v could still be ordered.

Although the GT Equipment Group was a factory installed option, all the items of this group could have been ordered separately as a dealer installed option. Fords idea was to allow folks to create their own GT by ordering dealer installed options. Many people today argue the legitimacy of "GT's" made from dealer-installed options for their base model mustangs saying that only factory assembled GT's are true GT's.

Don

deestix

Sorry guys, but a GT/CS with an 'X' code engine did in fact qualify for the GT package. I own a GT/CS, with the 390 2bbl 'X' code engine, and it has the GT package, and I have the Marti report to verify that the factory built it that way.
Seems strange, I know, but I've also seen a lot of misunderstanding about the 'X' code engine in general. For example, about 50% of the Mustang books I own do not even acknowledge that the 'X' code engine was available as a factory option in Mustangs!
In Nashville, I had a brief conversation with Kevin Marti himself on this subject. He said that 477 (I think) Mustangs were built in '68 with the 390 2 bbl engine.

68sunlitgold

deestix,
Thanks for confirming that, I was seconding guessing myself and had to look back in my books. As I said before....the only cars that did not qualify for the GT option in 68 where the "T" inline 6 and "C" 289 codes. All other engines including the "X" 390 2 bbl could have the GT option added to it.

66joej,
I understand the misunderstanding because the "Mustang Recognition Guide" does say 4V but the book was producted in 1989 before all the facts had been gathered and confirmed by Kevin Marti.

68gt390,
The article you reference I think is about 67 Mustangs. In 67 the 289 came with a 4v both "A" and "K" codes. And these along with the "W' code (as you mentioned) where not produced in 68. And a side note, in 67 the "C" code 289 with 2V could be a "GT".

Doug

66joej

deestix
Thanks for the info. Seems just when we think we have gospel info on Mustangs documentation proves us wrong.
66joej

68gt390

Doug;
The article I refer to is not about the 67, it is about all GT mustangs from 1965 through 1969. You are correct about the 67 289 C code being a GT. That was the only year the 289 C code, 200 HP was a GT. As a note, any V-8 in 67 could be ordered with the GT factory package.
1969 saw the demise of the GT Equipment group because of the competition with the Mach I which offered many of the GT options thus making a 69 GT a rare item. I'm just glad this forum is here, it has helped me learn some new things about the Mustang. Just goes to show your never too old to learn and that which is put into print is not always correct.

Don

68sunlitgold

Don,
I agree with you 100%....I could not have said it better. Thank goodness for this forum.

Doug