• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

390 motor

Herck

has any one ever had there 390 motor out of car my problem is im looking at serial number on engine can barely read it need a picture if any body has pictures of serial number they did a terrible job of stamp maybe ill go over stamp and also just finished prep on block got it sonic tested it was a good core for a over bore so i got machined to standerd 428 bore alighn honed decked etc need proper color for painting block slowly finishing car one day hope to go for a cruise

somethingspecial

Go to Ebay, and type in 7984463489, this is a block I purchased and it has a picture of the serial #. I hope this helps. Just type in the item # on the search line. Mike

OP
OP
H

Herck

does help i wonder why mine is so ureadable are all mustang blocks stamped with serial number from serial number on pink slip or just big blocks or is it all 1968 mustangs i was told in 67 engines werent stamped except for shelby

somethingspecial

I have no idea if all mustang motors were serialized. I never could find a # on the original block, the car is 156529, and this block is 158060, 2 DAYS apart. Maybe it depended on who was working the assembly line that day or shift? Don, do you have any thoughts? Mike

68gt390

[quote author=somethingspecial link=board=1;threadid=2037;start=0#msg13515 date=1124240082]
Go to Ebay, and type in 7984463489, this is a block I purchased and it has a picture of the serial #. I hope this helps. Just type in the item # on the search line. Mike
[/quote]

Mike;
Were exactly was the partial VIN stamped? Also, I noticed the seller stated the "X" code blocks didn't use casting #'s. I would have assumed all blocks used casting #'s. The 390 GT uses the same block and oil pump as the standard 390. Oil pans were stamped steel and some even received baffles, but no windage trays. The difference came in that the GT used the same camshaft as the 428 CJ from 1966-1968. All engines used a single point distributor. Crankshaft, rods and pistons were also carryovers from the standard 390. Heads were different from the standard 390. GT cylinder heads were cast and machined to accept the 14 bolt hole (per side) exhaust manifolds, while the typical 390 used only 2 bolt hole exhaust manifolds. Intake manifolds were also different in that they were a little taller and were stamped with a large "S" casting mark near the thermostat housing.

Specs: Hydraulic lifter 6.4 litre, 4.05" bore X 3.784" stroke, 10.6:1 compression, 325 hp @ 4800 RPM with 427 ft lbs torque @ 3200 rpm.

That could explain why on my buddies car we couldn't find a casting #. They used an "X" code block but, put the GT stuff on it. Strange. Ford never cease's to amaze me with how they did some things.

Don ;)

OP
OP
H

Herck

my block has a x casting in lifter valley supposed high nickel block got lucky i guess and mine has serial number stamped on it sort of like i siad cant read it the stamper must of had hang over that day o well u never now what u going to c when u look at motor as far as i was told from a fe guru ford used what they had and they didnt have what was needed at time some people got the bigger bore blocks with thicker cylinder walls then ford just bored cylinders to standerd 390 bore some of u people should have this option to do a over bore if u like for more power as long as there is no core shift on block thats what i did

somethingspecial

Don, Just talked to my engine builder, he told me the S/N is stamped on the back of the block, drivers side, just below the deck and just above the bell housing. It is on the back side of #8 Cyl. I read somewhere X code blocks are from Fords Muscle division. :D ??? Mike