• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

MSD Ignition Problems

davidathans

I'm having car trouble again. I believe the problem is that im losing my spark. I have my MSD 6AL box mounted on the shock tower inside the engine compartment. When i'm accelerating slowly, sometimes the rpm on the tach will fluxuate (drop and rise) and at this time it is clear the engine is losing power, but will continue to run and won't stall out.

When im accelerating hard, sometimes the engine will cut out right away. After this happens i open the hood and feel the MSD box. It is very hot! The box is about 3 years old.

I believe the problem might have something to due with vibration also. This is because the car cut out on me and when i hit a bump it came back on by itself?! I checked all the connections and tightened them, so i know it is not an external loose connection.

This is an intermittent problem, it does not always due this, but it is doing it more frequently now.

Is having the MSD box inside the engine compartment a bad idea? Im thinking about buying a new one, and mounting it inside the car, where it will be cooler.

Has anyone had any similar problems to my situation?

Thanks,
David

carvensno

yes, when i had my CS, i had a 6A box in my engine compartment also w/msd blaster coil, same problem exactly, i would suggest this time if you get a new box get the rubber insulators to help with the vibrations ;). hope this help you ???, i finally got tired of it and just put my point setup back in the dist. :mad: and actrully thru the box down the street, because i was so pissed, my 6A box was only about 6months old.