• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The GT/CS perspective vs. the resto-mod hype

P

PNewitt

Where does one with a 1968 1/2 GT/California Special stand in today's world of Mustang enthusiasm?

As I look at the current issues of Mustang Monthly, and Mustangs and Fords, it seems that this era of "RestoMod" has dominated the pages of these magazines. It seems that if you don't own a modified, high HP pony with Eleanor (or "Foose") looks, that you're out of the loop on the street.

They want you to think that even having a Shelby isn't enough, and it needs some suspension mods, or a blower, or some new 17-20" wheels.

Just what is all this hype--and how does this affect the perceptions of the original owner, and the stock, (un)restored Mustangs?

Well--this must have been like how Hot Rods, made from '32 Fords made people in the 1950's cringe. It's not that mods and hot rodding is "bad", or "wrong".....it's just that the hype, and the perception of that this is the direction is not reality.

The California Special really IS a special Mustang (and I'm including HCS, too). It's primarily an appearance package, but then again, the automotive market has always been about 80% marketing and 20% Detroit iron. We, as a group have stood our ground, and through this website, formed a community (or sorts) of Mustangers. Look at how folks at the Grass Valley show thought that group was "some sort of club". We are organized, and we work together to solve problems, but more importantly, we support each other's enthusuasm.

I would go so far as to say as a marque of Mustang, we as more aligned (no pun) than most clubs. Some of us are "lone wolves", and some of us are part of a loose-knit regional group of friends that get together. It's important to know that we, as a group are quite strong, and have an impressive background when we show up at shows, etc. Other Mustang marques aren't quite as solid as the GT/CS folks. Yes, the Boss and Shelby groups are strong, but have you seen any other Mustang registry/group of enthusiasts as well centered on a common goal--and have as much fun--as we do?

As a side note, I would like to see us--as a group for a type of consortium in our restorations, armed with the best information possible to "make a statement" at any car show anywhere in the country.

The point I wish to make is to ignore the hype of what the magazines are saying. Advertisers, and editors need something to stir sales--and it can slant the tone of the publication. Restored, or daily driver GT/CS Mustangs don't need to fall into any kind of conformity of higher HP, or fender flares, or resto-mod parts. "IF" you wish to go that route--great!, but it's to each their own. Besides, I feel that a complete Little Red, or Green Hornet would pale an Eleanor clone any day. The folks with that six-cylinder CS, out on a Sunday drive to a local drive in is as much fun, and gets a lot of attention. You're driving a part of history--and it's a part of the (Southern) California car culture of the 1960's. You have a strong heritage, that needs no mods to justify today.

I'm keeping this marque of Mustang in perspective as I'm doing the book. We need to remember what this car is all about, and not be (too) influenced by what the media, auctions, or print media tells us. it will be interesting when the '07 Owners encounter a '68 version on the street. I predict a sense of awe and humility will occur at that moment towards the senior CS.

Paul M. Newitt

Mustanglvr

My car gets alot of respect from owners of the newer and brand new Mustangs. A guy just the other day tried to trade me straight across for his 3 year old Mustang. It was an awesome car but I still like my old girl best. I don`t care very much for any new cars, even the Mustang. I always feel that they will never, ever make them again like they used too.

Redwingrobb

Paul, I'm glad that you addressed this. Oddly enough, I've been thinking about this issue on and off over the past few months, but not in relation to my GT/CS, but my Barracuda. I was seriously considering whether or not to sell my other car--a 68 Barracuda convertible as a down payment towards a big block investment. I sort of felt that I was missing the boat on the current trend towards higher return on investment on a bigger muscle car. I know my story has nothing to do with my GT/CS, but the bottom line is that just like my antique collecting, you collect what you love instead of what you think the latest hot trend is--I know people who have collected whole rooms full of of now worthless beanie babies. Sometimes you end up getting burned when the market turns and you then you have something that you didn't even want. If a 390 or 428 GT/CS turns up cheap then good for me, but I'm happy as a clam with my non-restomod 289 GT/CS Mustang and 318 non-restomod Barracuda.....Robb

BroadwayBlue

Interesting thoughts. I experienced this first hand a few weeks ago at a show.
It was a Mustang, Viper, Vette only show and participant judged.

They broke down the classes by years and then you also had to vote for best Mustang.

The one that won Best Mustang was a 67 restomod with the trunk filled with stereo equipment, amps, subwoofers, etc. The interior was also from later Mustangs. 80's, 90's etc.
The engine was fully modded out.
And it had fender flares and ground effects all the way around
The car was nice but didn't look like a professional job but well done.

I talked to the guy and he said the Grille and Headlight buckets were about the only original parts on the exterior.

The car was nice, don't get me wrong but I was floored by the selection. There were 2 nice Shelby's there and a 26,000 original mile, original interior Sprint coupe. And a 390 GTA Fastback that was also very nice.

I respect that the guy won but was shocked that is got that many votes for Best Mustang.

I think cars like ours and other special Mustangs deserve to be left as close to original or able to be returned to original.

For a rusted out car with no hopes of restoration I have no problem with the resto mod craze.

The job of the magazines are to sell copies and if that's selling them now then that's what they will cover. Eventually it will come back or they will spur a new Mustang mag specializing on RestoMods.

Mustang isn't the #1 searched word on eBay for nothing!

And I agree with the comments on our "club". Ok I'm done :cool:

Rich

Mosesatm

Just looking at the popular TV shows seems to pretty well explain what's happening. Pimp my ride (when did being a pimp become a good thing?), Overhaulin', Monster Garage, etc. That's what the kids and others are watching.

So Paul, I guess it's safe to say that you don't want you and your GT/CS to end up on Overhaulin'!!!!

Mustang68Mx

Hi, I must say I agree with the care of the old school mustangs.. Here in Mexico only a few people love the original look, as it was, mostly all the times here reach to the Hp and never to the incredible look of the original car, or the nice engineering of the 60's.. I love my car with the technology of its time, I also have a new car, That I do like though but never as my mustang, 'cause it's history or whatever you want to call it. I had show with my club the father's day, and the car that got all the congratulations of the ppl it was incredibly a 67 mustang Hardtop with 22'' wheels and 347 stroker and we had 2 shelby's and 1 Boss 302 second owner with original interior and painting :undecided incredible don't you think?. And the magazines we got in here "Curvas Mustang" and "RPM Mustang" are just a lot of craaaap!, with restomod cars or HT that was made a convertible or the new interior, or the not original painting color... I'm not saying this is not nice, but It is what most of the people like.. wrong or not, not me to decide, but I say that you have to choose your car the way you like it but never think that just because you have an old school car does need any aftermarket things, we got a lot of items to improve, like the pertronix, headers, bla bla.
Anyways I always recommend that everyone must learn about his/her and never get lost the with whims of the merchandice

John McGilvary

Paul, I am new at this, but I will tell you one thing , and that is tha t my first car was a California Special. And just because it is a CJ and it was the first CJ produced at the San Jose plant, dosen't mean nothing. I love California Specials and if someone else likes " modifiedes" and that stuff its up to them, but I like origional, and thats the way my CS will stay! John

Midnight Special

...Very nice post here Paul. We owe alot to you & Jon for the GT/CS attributes you describe. Not to mention the incredible resource and fellowship you facilitate! Thank you!!

As an owner (past & present) of flared fendered, fire breathing, psyco-painted to the immaculate stock GT/CSs, I've been fortunate to enjoy all sides. My bottom line is that we'll all get along fine as individuals who love our cars however their manifest... I am reminded EVERY time I go out that the GT/CS in any form commands respect and dignity and I don't worry about its future as long as we're supportive to all owners.

GOD bless the "purists" - but when extreme, they sometimes are too nitpicky and annoying. The "restmodders" have alot of fun, but they can show too much disrespect when chopping up a great car... 'Same thing happens in classic aviation where the purists complain when a WWII fighter is modified for air racing. Yet thousands of people see the races w/some going to the jungles to retrieve & restore planes that would've otherwise rotted away. The warbird population is much larger now because of this exposure. I think we are too, but we shouldn't create a "wedge"...

I don't subscribe to any car mags & don't belong to any clubs. I love and enjoy the GT/CS for my own reasons. I'm not a conformnist and and don't want the pressure of making anyone mad by pretending to be one. My cars are Gods cars... I pay for the privilage owning and sharing them with ultimate hopes (like so many '32 Fords) I'll be a good enough steward that they'll be around long after I'm gone. Any other belief would only reduce my appeurture.

Last edited:

390cs68rcode

I love California Specials and if someone else likes " modifiedes" and that stuff its up to them, but I like origional, and thats the way my CS will stay! John

Count me in the same boat as John.

Modified cars will get more attention at cars shows by non car people because bling attracts attention to the non informed.

68gt390

I have to admit, even with all the show's I attend here in the Columbus, Ohio and surrounding areas, there are a lot of restomods popping up everywhere. But, every show it's my GT/CS that seems to draw the crowd regardless. I have people all the time walk up to me and say man we've seen pictures in magazines but, this is the first real GT/CS we've ever seen. I've had car show organizers even comeup and thank me for bringing the car out to their show. Trophies, plaques and what ever else, I don't need those. The fact that I have possibly one of the rarest cars in the world is enough for me. The fact that it just happens to be a big block is an added plus. I have to admit, I actually enjoy my time here on our website sometimes more than I do an outing with my local Mustang Club. A big thanks to Jon and Paul for their hard work.

Don :wink:

gt bandit

I am all for originality and heck if your happy with your ride then don't change it.
but if your hankering to improve certain aspects like Drive Train , wheels etc without altering dramatically the appearance of the original theme.

Then go for it , I can almost guarantee that if Joe's Supercharged CS was up for grabs most of us on this site would grab it with open arms if we could afford it.

also after a fun Limited driving weekend in my resto BB , i can tell you i would not swap it back to a J code unless the J code was equipped with a compressor!!

For me its style first (Original metal and interior) then performance of the ride and if it can be improved then its highly likely it will be.

I agree with Paul on this site and the solidarity it has created in a sometimes strange Mustangworld.

Pity i live in the wrong country to enjoy it more!!

case12

As I have said before - I get more people coming over to see my CS than the Shelbys surrounding it. In the midwest most have not seen a CS, and they are very interested.
BTW, is it true that some Bosses were just appearance packages too? If so, then the CS should be as desirable - 428CJs, 390s, 302s, 289s and sixes were all available. Possibly we just have so few in number CS's that the marketing and clubs have not been the same as larger number of Bosses and Shelbys? Casey

Mustanger

case12 said:
As I have said before - I get more people coming over to see my CS than the Shelbys surrounding it. In the midwest most have not seen a CS, and they are very interested.
BTW, is it true that some Bosses were just appearance packages too? If so, then the CS should be as desirable - 428CJs, 390s, 302s, 289s and sixes were all available. Possibly we just have so few in number CS's that the marketing and clubs have not been the same as larger number of Bosses and Shelbys? Casey

The Bosses were more than appearance packages - they had unique high performance engines which only came in those Mustang models: Boss 302 ('69, '70), Boss 429 ('69, '70), and later Boss 351 (only in '71) (although these powerplants may have been found in a rare Torino or Cougar model also) ...

case12

just to clarify ....every Boss had a high performance engine?

also...I do believe it is true that Mach's could be just an appearance package - is that correct?

Casey

Mustanger

case12 said:
just to clarify ....every Boss had a high performance engine?

also...I do believe it is true that Mach's could be just an appearance package - is that correct?

Casey

On the Boss question: Yes, all Bosses had a factory high performance engine in those Mustang models.

On the Mach 1 question: Yes, and no - yes it was primarily an appearance package, but only with the higher performing factory engines ... in '69 it had 351W (2v or 4v), 390, or 428CJ, in '70 it had 351W (2v), 351C (2v or 4v), or 428CJ. The '71 - '73 models also had 351C variants, and a 429CJ and SCJ option.

As you can see, no 302's (in '69 and '70), and no 6 cylinder engines were offered in a Mach 1 (at least not until the Mustang II came along).

Last edited:

still looking for one

I enjoy the unrestored originals the best, especially when accompanied with an enthusiastic owner, or, a keeper a custodian of the car, who can tell about it's history, with stories!!

Those are the coolest! The Calif. Specials are so old now, most of them are on 3rd and 4th tier owners, at least- so the stories are harder come by.

To me that makes them much more desireable than any equivalent "new" or near new car.

Jim B.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks for all the supportive comments...

As I believe that anyone can do what they want with their GT/CS, there is something to be said about originality. Original-looking CS cars get more attention.

For example, I saw a mint-looking Nash Metro ('58?) the other day, and mixed in the jellybean cars of today, it really stuck out. I bit my tonque from saying out loud "how cute", but it stood on it's own--and it was rolling history that spoke for itself!!

I've attached a color photo of the dealer night (Feb 15, 1968)--with a very early CS on the turntable. it's a low-rez photo, but look at how impressive it is in it's stock form. Pretty impressive. Now think if that was on today's roads...

I like the idea of internal mods--engine, etc..."what you can't see", and of course, I like the vintage Shelby stuff, too.

Paul.

Attachments

• mustanggtcs.jpg
    mustanggtcs.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 38

MoonHawk

While I am an owner of the new 2007 GT/CS, I love the older Mustangs. The original CS is a one of a kind car , and those fortunate enough to own one, I am extrememly envious!! I also agree with the clean lines and original bodywork (I have never been one to add "bling bling" to my cars). While the modifides are great to look at, they are not the original intent of the car, I will take a restored original Mustang anyday over the modified.

TheBlkPearl

It takes a real man to cut one up........

Great lunch hour reading - I like to think that the GT/CS was one of the nicest styled cars to ever come from an American factory. Just think how much better it will look after being chopped, channeled, sectioned, louvered and painted metal flake gold ....................... just kidding!!!!!!!!