• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Side scoop inside grille ... stainless or chromed?

GT/CS S Code

Greetings all,
When our GT/CS was repainted about 10 years ago, the inside grilles on the side scoops were painted over in the body colour (red). We'll remove them and put them back to bright metal, but were these inserts originally polished stainless steel, or just chromed?
If they are made of stainless we'll polish them again, and if they are steel we'll get them rechromed. We just haven't stripped them yet to have a look .....
Thanks in advance for the help!
GT/CS S Code

rvrtrash

They're stainless, and not particularily polished. They're flatter looking than something like hood trim.

Steve

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Side scoop grilles ....

OK, much appreciated Steve. We'll strip these ones of their paint and see how they look right now, and then see what we can do to "tune them up" to stock appearance ....

We drove down the Washington & Oregon coast last summer, then headed out through Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and back up to Canada. Beautiful country down there, we enjoyed the trip very much. Met a ton of wonderful folks along the way too. We put on 5500 kms in two weeks, driving our camper van. Your gas down there is about 25% cheaper than ours up here by the way. The Super Premium I'll have to use in our 390 4V "S" code will run us about $5.50 + per gallon equivalent, and they say it's going to go much higher by this summer.

Al

Midnight Special

OK, much appreciated Steve. We'll strip these ones of their paint and see how they look right now, and then see what we can do to "tune them up" to stock appearance ....

... The Super Premium I'll have to use in our 390 4V "S" code will run us about $5.50 + per gallon equivalent, and they say it's going to go much higher by this summer.

Al

Ouch! ...and we're only good for +/- 150 miles per fill up! 'Good thing Starbucks is pretty close by ;-)

Al, 'can't wait to see pics of yours complete w/ stripes. I have the kit for mine, but haven't decided whether or not to put them on the red car yet.
Nice photos in your gallery thus far!

rvrtrash

We drove down the Washington & Oregon coast last summer, then headed out through Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and back up to Canada. Beautiful country down there, we enjoyed the trip very much. Met a ton of wonderful folks along the way too. We put on 5500 kms in two weeks, driving our camper van. Your gas down there is about 25% cheaper than ours up here by the way. The Super Premium I'll have to use in our 390 4V "S" code will run us about $5.50 + per gallon equivalent, and they say it's going to go much higher by this summer.

Al

Well next time, stop by and say Hi! First time I filled up my tank in Canada ('72 Mach 1) I wasn't thinking in terms of liters and was just watching the dollar signs spin by. After a bit I was thinking "What the ....." and started looking under the car because I thought I must have a hole in the tank or something. :grin:

Steve

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Many thanks ... that's a kind offer. If you get up to the Canadian West Coast come and see us. We'll touch base if we're going to drive down your way again. (I'll have to check MapQuest and see where you're located.) I doubt if we would be driving the GT/CS (aka "Fuel Hog") though, but it might be possible with the 65 Fastback since it'll have the 5 speed and be a bit more "long haul" friendly on fuel!
Actually, this year we're contemplating going the other direction (North) and touring the Yukon and NWT, and then swinging even further West to touch base with relatives in Alaska. That'd be another camper van trip for sure, as the gravel roads up there would be brutal on paint and glass for a show and shine car .....