• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Which GT/CS should I buy? Help needed!!!!

classicsguy

I have available these 2 California Specials for purchase now. I am going to give details on both so you have all the information needed IN ORDER TO GIVE THE BEST ADVISE.

1968 GT/CS (C-CODE) This car is here(PR) Its Candyapple Red with parchment standard interior. its in running condition. it has an auto transmission,console,p/s pdb,locking differential,deluxe belts,front seat headrests,remote left hand mirror,argent wheels.
The car will need probably quarter panel replacement and new driver door. engine compartment detailing and a new paint job to be perfect.Floors are solid.
Price:$9,500.00

1968 GT/CS (T-code) This car is in the US. Its Royal maroon with black standard interior. No p/s, and no p/b . the car has a 3 speed manual transmission,remote control left hand mirror and wheel covers.the car needs the following:
driver and passenger side floorboards
front inner panels,shock towers and torque boxes are solid
doors: rust on bottom of both(repairable)
passenger quarter rusted trough in front of wheelhouse
trunk:solid
hood and grille perfect with Lucas lights
engine started and running
needs interior restoration and AM radio missing
Price:less than 4k

Now based on the asking price of both cars, options and value when restored Which car is a better purchase and WHY???

One thing I won't do is change the originality on either car. What I love about the 6 cilinder GT/CS is the color and that a 3 speed is more fun to drive.
What I like about the Red car(dont like red color) is the V-8 and the options like console and p/s and pdb
Both cars are affordable and they will be restored in a Mustang specialized shop in the US.
I appreciate the time you take to read this post and value each and everyones opinion since I am really in doubt. I have never liked a mustang with a 6 cil engine but being a true Cal Spec might be worth the exemption.
Please let me know your thoughts. Purchase decision will be made next week.

Mustanglvr

Go with your gut feeling. Which one do you see yourself driving? Which one makes you the happiest?

Mustanger

Mustanglvr said:
Go with your gut feeling. Which one do you see yourself driving? Which one makes you the happiest?

... I agree, if you're trying to keep the car original and are not going to change it to your ideal, then you need to decide which one makes you happiest ... of course the premise is you're planning to keep the car; now if you plan on selling it, then you may consider what "joe public" or "joe collector" may like better ...

Midnight Special

Mustanglvr said:

I agree! You're the one who will be driving it... I could tell you what I like, but what good would that do you? I'm sure David Athans could tell you what he would do with it, but you would have a long way to go to get the T code ready for 12 second 1/4 mile ;-)

Just do what you love & keep us posted w/ pictures! We'll all be thrilled to see another GT/CS come to immaculatus no matter what you choose.

Last edited:

case12

Sorta depends on how much money you want to spend too. The C code sounds like you are a few thousand away from having a nice GTCS. The T code sounds like it is going to take some work too, but it has a lower price to give you more room to do the floor work. I take it you dont want to paint the C code a different color, but I think red with parchment interior and all the goodies is a real nice combination - and likely will bring more if you do want to sell it some day. In the end it is what you like - it doesnt sound like you are wedded to a C code. The nice thing is it sounds like you have a pretty even choice, and it then is just up to what you like, and how much work you want to put into it. Either way, you will love your GTCS. Casey

68gt390

Although you can save some money on the "T" code car, your going to eat that up real quick on the floor pans and torque box's if they all need to be replaced. Having done that with my "S" code it's not cheap. If the frame rails and floors as say are solid in the "C" code, I'd go with the "C" code. WHY: Easy. Greater appreciation in the long run, more fun to drive being a true V-8 and more potential buyers in the long run should you ever opt to sell. Of course I'm partial to the V-8 cars anyway. Bottom line: What do you want? Your the one that has to be happy with what ever you buy and restore. Since you've been trying to hold out for an "S" code car personally I don't think you'll be happy with a "T" code car myself. That's just me.

Don :cool:

Mustanglvr

It should`nt matter cuz it`ll be a California Special no matter what engine.

lunker

Buy them both! You can always sell one and probably do ok if you need to. I would like to see a photo of the front seat headrests if you end up with the red one.