• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A sister website for the 2007-2009 GT/CSs?

P

PNewitt

Not that I want to break up owners between the '68 and late models, but I was wondering if we needed a "sister" website, seriously dedicated to the late model (2007-2009) GT/CS Mustangs.

There are other late model sites, that I know suit those owners better, but I thought by some forward-thinking, we could set up a separate, but connected site. It's apparent that in about a year, the late model GT/CS owners will be more aware, and interested in forming a dedicated group, and I (we) want to be in the forefront of it. We could see something like 8-12K total GT/CS cars by the end of 2010.

Your thoughts? Do the other late model sites sucessfully provide the information that these owners need?

Thanks, Paul.
(and I'd be curious of what Jon, the webmaster thinks of this idea).

BroadwayBlue

IMO I wouldn't create a different site - that's too difficult for the common info to get communicated (like Knotts for example)

My thought is, if you feel it will need some separation, than separate forums or discussion groups on this site makes sense.

That's what most sites do. The Vintage site has discussion threads based on groups of years and even the sites that cover classic and late models do the same thing. Even the new Team Shelby does that.

Take a look at some other sites like the Vintage Mustang Forums and Team Shelby and look at their organization. THey're all doing it so it must be somewhat succesful. For example under classified we could have another level for early models and late models. That would help people looking for something specific. Could even have an HCS group ... it's up to Jon of course

VMF: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/fusionbb.php?

Team Shelby: http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/

Brad Barnett: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/

(not sure if you need to be logged in to see these)

A separate site would cause too much division of owners. There is a cost associated with the software and hosting of a forum too who is going to fund that? Jon is very generous to us. This is free to us but not to Jon. Other forums have Paypal options for members to donate. I've asked Jon and he has yet to feel it's warranted.

There are discussions on other forums that are GT/CS specific and they're pretty active. But at least you can check out other threads and info on the same site.

As I mentioned in another thread, someone that decided to leave this site started their own GT/CS site aimed at late models and it's not verty active at all ... less than 20 members maybe less than 15.

We've come a long way in bringing the old and new owners together ... why split them apart now?

Just my thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Then, my question is why don't we get more late model owners than we already have? Maybe the late model owners here can answer that....because of the heavy influence of the original version--does that put off the late model owners? I don't wish to bring back the earlier discussion about the differences--but, does this site seem "dated" to the more contemporary Mustang owners?

I just thought that a closely-connected, yet appealing site for the late model owners would help keep us together, than over at the other sites you listed, Rich.

How do we do this? I just want us to be connected, if it means some new ideas. There are too many late model GT/CS owners that aren't staying here, or know about us.

That's what I'm saying.

Paul N.

chewyz_me

Heres an idea that fits in between a new sight and where we are right now.

It will have to be worked out w/ the webmaster here tho - a sort of "Remap" of the website.

Splash screen intro page to select between classics and late-year mustangs, within the website its still possible to access all teh same info, but its more directed towards whichever model year(s) you chose. (its hard to explain, but Magnaflow had a great example of what i'm trying to explain.

http://magnaflow.com/

just an idea to add to the pool

wally05

I would say that a revamp would be nice... a little flash and stuff... but you have to have someone that knows what they're doing when you get a site going into flash...

J.Bart

Paul
i have both a 68 and now an 08, i think this is where i want to be. we talk about all the car shows around the country so we can meet up when the opportunities permit. simplicity is always the best answer. maybe an 07-08 q and a section here might be good. but lets keep things together.

66hcs-conv

Hi Gang,

I own a 66 HCS. Yes its old, but so am I!

I would like to see this site stay the same. I can keep up with the newer cars, and the owners: somewhat stay up to date on wass happin'.

THANKS, Dave

aemoo28

I agree with Broadway Blue. Since I plan on acquiring a '68 some time later, I want to be up to par on both '68 and my '08. Keep it together is my vote. I enjoy hearing the many issues/concerns/stories of the '68s. My only issue is that my '08 is NOT ENOUGH like the original '68, meaning the tail end of the new Twister could've been put on the later CS models to look like the '68, and the side tape could've been put on over the side scoop, as well as on the tail/trunk end like hotrodgranny has done to her '07. THEN the later models wouldn't look so much like "modified GT" as I've argued in the class judging division threads. Remember those? I want to be more like you '68 folks!

aemoo28

AND I'm staying HERE, Paul! You all have become my "family", since my genetic family doesn't care/doesn't want to hear my talk about my fab car. And my Mustang club has only 2 '68 CS + my '08. Don't un-adopt me now please!

BroadwayBlue

Then, my question is why don't we get more late model owners than we already have? Maybe the late model owners here can answer that....because of the heavy influence of the original version--does that put off the late model owners? I don't wish to bring back the earlier discussion about the differences--but, does this site seem "dated" to the more contemporary Mustang owners?

I just thought that a closely-connected, yet appealing site for the late model owners would help keep us together, than over at the other sites you listed, Rich.

How do we do this? I just want us to be connected, if it means some new ideas. There are too many late model GT/CS owners that aren't staying here, or know about us.

That's what I'm saying.

Paul N.

I hear you Paul, and as much as I hate to say it, I think the majority of late model CS owners don't care about registries or forums.

I have someone that works with me with a late model CS and just has no interest in getting involved like we have. By "we" I mean the late and early models that are on this site. I've asked him a number times if he checked it out and registered his car. I think I become annoying to him so I stopped.

I've talked to so many people with new GT/CS cars and didn't even know a 68 existed. They bought it because they liked the look and because it was something different from the regular GT. Also because the Ford Dealers told them is was a 1 year only (2007) car. They're not happy about the continuation of the model at all. THey feel they were lied to and their investment decreased.

If I didn't know about the 68 or if the 68 didn't exist, I would look to the current GT/CS if I was in the market based on looks and other things.

In my opinion, flash and fancy graphics and changing pictures and articles are great and look nice, but bottom line people come to a forum for the info that's posted. Again this is just my opinion. You can have all the fancy things you want but if the info is lacking then it doesn't matter how fancy it is.

I'm not trying to get on my soapbox here (I know too late right?) ... but I like keeping up on the late model cars. I may consider one in the future. If I had to go to another site, I wouldn't go ... I go to this site more than anyother forum. I check the other ones once a month maybe twice a month or so. I try to check this site everyday if I get a break at work or on my lunch hour. I know I'm obsessed with it! :grin:

Keep in mind adding all that changing content and flashy stuff takes time to maintain and keep up to date. I know the IT guy in me is coming out now :grin: . Good thing my clients aren't reading this!

We're small in comparison to other sites. Other sites need multiple people to maintain it.

Brad Barnett (Mustang Source) has over 17,500 members and over 1 million posts!

Vintage Mustang has 16,500 members
I can't keep up on that site. 9 times out of 10 I just mark the new posts as read because I can't possibly read them all.

We have 2,300 members and just under 50,000 posts. Of the 2,300 only 266 are active. Just because they aren't posting doesn't mean they don't read and visit. I do that on other sites where I just read and don't post.

The beauty of this site is the size and comraderie (spelling?) that we've built. The smaller size makes it that way. I read every post that is made on the site. Once a week I try to catch up on the unread posts.

I'm not sure why more late model people don't come here but maybe (and this is just my opinion) they might not be like the late model owners here that are passionate and in for the long haul of CS ownership.

I'm not trying to sway opinions one way or another just speaking my mind and the thoughts I have.

I'd be curious to hear what other late model owners think. Why did they buy their car, why are they here?

Ok, my fingers are tired of typing! :grin:

Maybe it's time for a poll!

Z28ZL1

My thought is, if you feel it will need some separation, than separate forums or discussion groups on this site makes sense.

I agree with the above comment in creating a separate forum on this site. There are other sites exclusive to 07-08 GT/CS, but here you have the mix of the old and new together to find in one site...just my opinion.:smile: I think there should be a separation anyways regarding the old and new on this site...so that discussions exclusive to 07-08 owners can be found readily instead of searching throughout the site and not mixed in.

somethingspecial

A Cs Is A Cs Is A Cs.

Let's all stay together. We all purchased these cars because they were unique, old and new. We already lost one '07 owner from this site for unknown reasons, and that is one to many. The name of the site is "CaliforniaSpecial.com". Welcome All JMHO. Mike

koronen

As a late model owner, I do not think that a separate website would be benificial. I like this website, and I don't think that a different website would appeal to me as much as this one has. Not to mention, I am looking at trying to find a 68 CS project, and will need info =P If you were to do anything you could make a separate forum, but I doubt it would be used as much as the regular forum is.

miller511

I say keep it together. As a CS owner who has both a '68 and an '07, in one sense it's one stop shopping...er, reading.
I've heard some folks upset that Ford went forward and made '08...and '09 CSs... but hey it's all about selling cars, and it's still only 5K or so built per year. Still pretty rare AND You don't see the newer CSs everyday out there on the road.
I have a feeling there is going to be a LOT more folks joining in the next few years. At which point, maybe having sub sections would make sense. But right now it seems very managable to keep up with reading the posts.

My .02 cents

-Jeff...perhaps a bit too immersed in CS Mustangs ;-)

digiddy

Let's all stay together. We all purchased these cars because they were unique, old and new. We already lost one '07 owner from this site for unknown reasons, and that is one to many. The name of the site is "CaliforniaSpecial.com". Welcome All JMHO. Mike
I have been comming to cal. spec. site for 1 year now. I'm the proud owner of a 08 cal special and I'm what you all call a sleeper [ read & don't post] When I read the posts about dividing I was chocked. DON'T un-adopt us now quote from Aemoo28. I dropped a '71 cougar for my cs and I think this site ROCKS !!!!!!:icon_ecst

stang68cs

K.I.S. I'm another sleeper that doesn't post much and I also like both styles of cars. I think we need to keep it simple and be one family. I think it would be easier for all with information flow.

Ladystang

I come to this site and read almost everyday. I usually do not post. Being a member that owns a newer cs, I do not have knowledge of the older cs. I never heard of it until I researched for info on the new '07' that was coming out. That is when I found this site. I was really excited to find that there was a web site for the cs. After being here awhile, I felt that some of the members here did not want the newer cars included. That was their right. I have seven friends with CS's, all new. We go to shows together and talk about our cars. We love them for what they are. We, most of us, are doing small mods to our cars. Some of them have come here and looked the site over. Some stay, and read like I do, but some have left because they felt unwanted. There are too many other sites that welcome everyone. The other sites have a seperate area for the people with new cars to post on with each other. Maybe that would help here.
I have registered my car with Mr. Newitt and have ordered his book. I am looking forward to receiving. it and reading about the CS. Old & new.

I am also one of those people that ordered the '07' because it was different from the other cars out, and it was a limited edition vehicle. Everything I researched on the internet said it was to be a limited edition. Now it is being produced until they can't squeeze anymore money from it. So be it. I still love this car. I will be keeping it and my '02' because I like them. Whether of not it will increase in value is of no concern to me. Not sure how many more years the man upstairs will give me here, but I will be cruising around in my Mustang convertibles. Have never been pulled over by an officer in the 46 years I have been driving, until I bought the CS. Now I am pulled over every so often because they want to know what kind of car it is.

As for the site, I don't think you need flash to get new members. If they feel that the people are friendly, they will join.
Thank you for reading, and I don't mean to offend anyone. Please forgive me if I have. I'll go back to reading now.

Diesel Donna

<~~~~~What Rich said. Keep the newer cars on this site but give them their own section so they don't have to weed through the 68's to get to the information they want and the 68's don't have to weed through their newer info that we can't use either. If you have both cars then it is the best of both worlds. I've felt that way from the beginning when the 07's started showing up, only because I started out reading a post about something specific to a 68, only to end up reading about 07's. It lost all meaning to me and I found myself not coming to the site as often.

Reddog

Greetings from a member of Mustang Canada.We were featured in the Dec 07 Mustangs & Fast Fords. I have always being interested in the Mustang and with the introduction of the S197, purchasing one happened in Nov06. I started to check out the Mustang sites for information and chose MC because of the broad range of Mustangs and acceptance of the new generation Mustang. While their are some die hard Mustangers of the vintage models, there has being a lot of support for the newer Mustangs. As one member said, it dosen't matter if someone has a four cylinder Fox or a Snake. Because of the inclusion of all with threads addressing specific Mustang problems, modifications or general discussion, Mustang Canada has grown from 200 members in 06 to 2700 members. Last week I purchased a near new GT/CS and started to check out the history of the 68 GT/CS and found California Special .com. It's being a lot of reading and some very interesting points of view. Aemoo28 comments have being of special interest to me concerning a car show only recognizing the 68GT/CS, ignoring the 07&08 GT/CS. Reminds me of the story Sneeches on the Beaches by Dr. Suess. Also mentioned was disappointment that the GT/CS didn't live up to the expectations of the 68. Their are a lot of new GT/CS owners like myself who are very proud to own this Mustang and like the appearance and performance of this Stang. When I get home to Nanaimo BC this April, winter in AZ, our Mustang club Pacific Coast Mustang Association is hosting a show and shine on the first Sunday of May. They've asked me to have my 07GT/CS there to show along side with a 68GT/CS. I think the GT/CS has a special place in the coral and would hope that Mustang clubs would embrace the new with the old. My vote would be to keep your site together. Regards Reddog.