• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear valance cut for dual exhaust? Was this an option?

franklinair

It is an option. If yours is not badly damaged, I'd say fix it. They are available aftermarket, but I'm not sure of quality/fit.
Neil Hoppe

case12

You are referring to a GT rear valance. They came on cars that got the GT option (mostly large block cars). As has been noted, the GT/CS did NOT necessarily come with the GT option. So, you will see some with the GT rear valance and others without. Since most GT/CS's were 289's, they would not have the GT rear valance (not offered as an option on 289). However, many owners like the look and have changed over anyway. I have not - BUT, I decided recently that I would. So, I just ordered last week the rear valance and the dual tip tail pipes from Mustangs Unlimited. It will give a more clean look to my rear exhaust instead of the "old school" chrome pipes protruding out of the back (see my gallery for how it currently looks). Just thought I would share some factoids, and my own plans. Casey

franklinair

Does your car presently have dual exhaust? The reason I ask is- be SURE it has the "H" pipe coming off the L & R exhaust manifolds. It equalizes the exhaust pressures, and gives a much better sound at the rear.
Neil

rvrtrash

I had to replace my rear valence and found the aftermarket ones (at least mine) don't fit to well. It took a bit of work with a Dremel to get the studs on the ends to even fit in the slots and then more to get everything to line up. Like everything else, original is better.

Steve

franklinair

Pippin- what about your car? Already have duals? "H" pipe? Its important.
Neil

robert campbell

All,
This, to my knowledge, is the proof of an original GT exhaust car. The rear frame rail (both sides) has a “spacer” in the frame rail to keep it from crushing when the rearward most exhaust hanger is bolted on to the frame rail. Very aft, almost to the very back of the car. Both my cars have this spacer in the frame rail. Just a bit more on the GT cars.

Rob

OP
OP
pippin

pippin

Hmm, more to research, my dual rear valence is original, but

My dual rear valence is original, but my car is a 289 2V with a single exhaust and a Y-pipe. I just canned the rusted out 'original' muffler last week and installed a 2.5 inch Flowie super 40 single exhaust for now.

Its dark out now and i could not confirm this frame spacer deal mentioned above... :undecided

My springs (especially the front) are somewhat stiffer than some other mustangs I have looked at, is it possible i got the (or part of) GT package?

What is in the GT package anyway? I have power steering, but i think its manual drums on all 4 corners.

No holes for a dual exhaust ever added or removed either.

BroadwayBlue

Pippin - was your car originally a 289 from the factory?

As Casey stated ...
The GT option was not available on a 289 car.
You had to have at least a 302 or higher for the GT option. You also had to have ordered Power Disc brakes with the 390 I believe to order the GT package.

Also - I don't think a 289 could come from the factory with a dual rear valance could it? (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
I'm not sure about that one but I'm not aware of that as a factory option. It could have been added by the dealer or owner afterwards.

Did you mean your rear valance was original to your car from the factory? Or that it's an original rear valance from a GT? Both of my non-GT CS's (a 289 and a 302) had dual exhaust added later in life and both without the rear valance.

Here is some more info on the GT option...
http://www.geocities.com/mustangs68.geo/gt.html

The GT option consisted of:

1968 Gt Package
Heavy Duty Suspension
Stiffer front and rear springs
Larger front and rear shock absorbers
Larger diameter front stabilizer
Dual exhausts with chrome "quad" outlets
GT "C" stripes (not on the GT/CS or HCS)
GT pop-open gas cap (not on the GT/CS or HCS - the running horse was used - although there are reports some of these got through on the GT/CS and HCS cars)
GT fender badges (not sure if this would have been on the CS or HCS)
F70-14 wide oval WSW tires
Slotted and painted 14-in Styled Steel wheels with GT hubcaps and trim rings
Fog Lamps (Lucas or Marchal specific to CS and HCS cars)

Optional for these engines:
All V8s except the 289-2V

NOTE: Chromed Styled Steel wheels optional,
still with GT hub caps. The 390-4V had the chrome
engine dress up kit. (I thought the 427 did as well)

Last edited:
OP
OP
pippin

pippin

I will do by best to verify and photograph

but i am about 95% sure my dual valence came on the car from the factory.