• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 oil change gone bad

mbsf1970

This story doesn't involve my mustang but rather a routine oil change on my Subaru......its just a comedy of errors!!

First of all, my Subaru was low on oil so even though I changed it in March instead of waiting another 3 months, I decided that I'd change it early.
Fair enough....got everything I needed and weather was just warm enough so away I went.

Drain plus is on a 45* angle so I placed pan a short distance away from due vertical. I removed oil cap and dipstick so air could enter. I then removed drain plug and oil came out in a gush and promptly overshot the pan! it landed half in pan and half on cardboard I had layed down......which immediately spilled onto driveway. FINE I thought....actually it was worse than that but what could I do at that point?.....I moved pan and continued to drain. I proceeded to unscrew filter which was easily done because I had installed it at last oil change...did it with hand only.
Oil drained out of it and down my long glove and onto my jacket! At this point I may have sworn a little bit. I decided to crawl out of under car to wipe off excess oil from sleeve......as I did I ended up swinging my head through the draining oil from filter!! I may have sworn even more at this point!! luckily it was only a cool hot..

Finished change without any ADDITIONAL issues.

Learned a lot about patience and where to place pan and cardboard as well as turning the end of my glove inside out to make an effective oil block thus saving my sleeve...sigh!!

Stephen

68 special

I got one for you.....

On my Ridgeline I use a funnel to channel the fluid into my oil pan, because it always seems to overshoot the pan, so hold the funnel, unscrew the plug. good plan, but.....

I always put an old rag in my funnel to keep fluid from running out when I store it.

So, grab the funnel, unscrew the plug and oh crap, forgot to remove the rag... funnel fills up and over, down the sleeve and on to the driveway. I KNOW I said some foul words.

Should have just thrown rags on the ground first and pulled the plug.

The Mustang is so much easier.

Bret