• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Dash components

franklinair

1.) The dashpad in my CS is a repro (incorrect grain), and is a terrible fit.
2.) The cluster bezel needs to be replaced (due to condition).
I'm going to replace them.

What is the best available dashpad? I know the grain won't be right, but I'm concerned about fitment.
What is the best available woodgrain cluster bezel & right side dash panel for a factory A/C dash? I want to be sure the woodgrain matches for both pieces.

As this will probably be my last resto (I'm not getting any younger) I'm doing the car to MY taste: black Deluxe interior, upper & lower consoles, black vinyl top, chrome SS wheels. It already has A/T, P/S, PDB, factory A/C (which I'm going to upgrade to a rotary compressor & R-134).

Neil

dalorzo_f

On the dash pad I am only familair with the Dashes Direct, not sure if there are others. The fit is average and the material and grain are so far off I'm unsure what blind person designed them. (no offense to the sight imparied, just a comment on how off they are... actually a blind person might do better as if they can read braille they could easily feel the difference!)

So on that front I'd suggest finding a good used OEM. I just picked one up for $120, which I thought was a great price. Needs a bit of touch up and dying, but will work fine.

On the dash cluster/panel I've used NPD's "best" and the are pretty good.

None of the stick on appliques I have seen are worth buiyng, terrible fit so restoring an OEM is an issue I have not sorted, other than the custom real wood veneer one I am making...

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Thanks- I bought it this evening after communicating with the seller.

Neil

68sunlitgold

Neil,
GREAT! I saw it and first thing that came to mind was you needing one, happy it worked out!
Doug

robert campbell

Just a hair off this thread!

Has anyone ever tried to put the stick on wood grain deluxe stuff on a standard dash? even lazier, have you done it with the dash installed and just stuck it on?

I have a 68 Coupe that has standard interior with A/C. He purchased deluxe door panels, bottom grills, (yippee, that will be fun to drill and file fit 6 plastic inserts on each door) and all the goods to put them on.

He also bought the dash stuff, but in my experience it only sticks to non-standard smooth interior pieces....

Rob

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

The textured surface of the cluster bezel & upper dash panel is not conducive for the woodgrain applique's. You're much better off to buy the quality Scott Drake panels.

Neil

Attachments

• ALL PHOTOS 023.jpg
    ALL PHOTOS 023.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 20

Mosesatm

Neil,
If you're comfortable using spot putty and primer you can fill in the texture. I've done it a few times with standard-to-deluxe AC controls.

Ruppstang

[
I have a 68 Coupe that has standard interior with A/C. He purchased deluxe door panels, bottom grills, (yippee, that will be fun to drill and file fit 6 plastic inserts on each door) and all the goods to put them on.

Rob[/QUOTE]

Rob I have pattern for the door bottom grill and light. If that would help you.
Marty

dalorzo_f

I did not try, but looked at it. I came the to conclusoin that unless you used a thick layer of "filler" first I think it would be very diffucult, and my not stick well to the "bumps".

I just checked the 5 I have, all the standard ones (camera case) are a -A or -C engineering suffix. The one Deluxe I have is a -B, but I did not peel off the OEM applique to check if it is flat surface below.

The same appers to be the case for 67's, based on the one Deluxe '67 I have as a -B suffix and no camera case under the inserts.

Not a comprehensive analysis, but FWIW...

robert campbell

Marty,
I would be interested in a template. Is it mail-able? Looks like the wood grain thing to standard needs the pieces out and a bit of attention to fill the textures. I would think that a quality piece like Neil suggests is in order for this customer. I do not want to do anything that is not first rate.

If he wants the deluxe dash he needs to buck up!!

Rob

Ruppstang

Marty,
I would be interested in a template. Is it mail-able? Looks like the wood grain thing to standard needs the pieces out and a bit of attention to fill the textures. I would think that a quality piece like Neil suggests is in order for this customer. I do not want to do anything that is not first rate.

If he wants the deluxe dash he needs to buck up!!

Rob

Rob PM me your address and I'll get it on it's way to you. You are right about using the standard panels , it would be a lot of work for less than perfect results. If he is paying for the labor it might cost more than the new panels.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Yes, I sure do. Thanks Arlie.
I'll probably have to stick with a black standard steering wheel. The black deluxe wheels are a tough find.
Also: Marty tipped me off some time ago about the A/C control panel- they are PAINTED- not woodgrain. I'll post the brand & color. It's at work, and I've been laid low with a bad headcold this weekend

Neil

Mosesatm

I'll send you the best one I have, but it will be a few weeks before I can get it shipped.
You know why:wink:

68 special

Hey Marty or Rob, could you forward the grill pattern to me also???

Thanks,
Bret