CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 06/01/2005, 07:50 PM   #16
PNewitt

Re:2005 Registry Update Thread

I got over a MAJOR hurdle today towards time to work on the NEW Registry... My other (Model RR) book was taken into the printer; which was 2 1/2 years of hard work.

Now I can concentrate on getting both the 1988 and 1996 editions compiled (and OCR scanned) into my Mac.

Question: Should I "this time" reveal ALL of the things to look for to authenticate a true GT/CS (HCS?)??

I also have some very cool "goodies" planned for buyers of the book.

thanks for your support!
- Paul N.
Old 06/01/2005, 09:07 PM   #17
luisa2552

He bought it, look who got it!

Being a newbie, I don't know what might be invloved in listing everthing, but I think it would be great. Escpecially with the apparent ease of making a clone.
Sara
luisa2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2005, 09:42 PM   #18
PNewitt

I think it's time to "tell all" (as it were), since it's been so long now.

Besides, with the advent of the "Marti Report" clones can be revealed more easily (that is, if one wishes to know or not).

Paul N.
Old 06/01/2005, 10:06 PM   #19
Mosesatm

A perfect clone is very, very difficult to make. The hood pin attachment hardware alone would be a nightmare to reproduce and the trunk wiring harness would be nearly impossible. On the flip side it is easy to make a clone that will fool most non-experts. That said, I agree with Sara in that the more information we have the better equipped we are to spot the fakes.

Give us the truth Paul, we can handle it!
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 06:03 AM   #20
quicknick
My Car Details

eBay: gtcslover

Send a message via MSN to quicknick
My Garage

Oh boy....maybe one of the goodies will be that darn window sticker I have been pestering Paul about for the last 5 years! Just kidding Paul :P. Be on the lookout, my Mustangs info packet for the book will be heading your way sometime next week. Nicholas
quicknick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 08:10 AM   #21
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Question: Should I "this time" reveal ALL of the things to look for to authenticate a true GT/CS (HCS?)??

Paul: My answer to this question is a solid "YES". I know that your book may not be a restoration book, but as one who is in the middle of a restoration, having that reference (I have your old addition) has really helped a lot. My car required a complete change of the front grille and fog light brackets and fender emblems to return it to original. This was due to prior front end damage and replacement with 68 mustang parts instead of GT/CS parts. Having the information to return it to it's original status was invaluable. Don't know where I would have gone with this website and your book. Thanks for your dedication and I will be looking forward to your newest edition.

By the by, I have digital photographs of my restoration to date. Shows various pictures of disassembly, engine rebuild, post media blasting, sheet metal repair, etc. I know that there are many such pictures in the gallery pages on this site, but if you need anything from me, just let me know.
Steve
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 08:43 AM   #22
PNewitt

Thanks, Steve! I appreciate your comments. It has always been my hope to help folks restoring their GT/CS with good information.

Definately send me a few photos of your restoration. I want to include that in the book to encourage others to do the same, since these cars are nearing in age for complete restorations.

IF you could--also send video of the restoration, too. This is all very inspiring to others that are considering doing the same.

I invite everyone to send in some sort of photos and/or video of your restorations. I do have a ground-up resto (a famous one here) that I will document.

As for one of those "secrets", look at your rear quarters without the script. if you look along the side from the rear, you'll see the slightest "dimpling" of the sheet metal for the holes. The script holes were punched, not drilled at the factory.

-Paul N.
Old 06/02/2005, 09:02 AM   #23
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

I agree with those on the thread. All the secrets can now be told now that we have the Marti Report. This will put more emphasis on the Marti Report being the only way to authenticate a vehicle (unlike Shelbys that were numbered and records kept). This is what I was told and we tell people all along - get the Marti Report as the only way to authenticate. After that, we need the secrets to properly restore. Thanks Paul! Casey
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 03:01 PM   #24
19HCS68

FORD, the heartbreak of today's Chevrolet.

Paul,
Please "reveal all" as enquiring minds need to know.

Signed,
Enquiring Mind ;)
19HCS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2005, 12:33 AM   #25
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

Paul N.~

You should include that newspaper ad for GT/CS that you found when you were looking in your Dad's things....remember?

I heard that one true way to tell if you have an authentic CS is that when you turn the key to open the trunk, it lifts by itself instead of manually lifting it. Is that true?

~~~~Donna
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2005, 04:18 AM   #26
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage

[quote author=Diesel Donna link=board=1;threadid=1688;start=15#msg13774 date=1124782409]
Paul N.~

You should include that newspaper ad for GT/CS that you found when you were looking in your Dad's things....remember?

I heard that one true way to tell if you have an authentic CS is that when you turn the key to open the trunk, it lifts by itself instead of manually lifting it. Is that true?

~~~~Donna
[/quote]

not a good way to tell. One of mine does not lift (I replaced the weatherstrip).
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2005, 09:26 AM   #27
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage

If you have a very large set of "Channellock" type pliers (we used to call them pump pliers on the farm) you can adjust the trunk lid tensioners and it should open on it's own.
Steve
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2005, 09:35 AM   #28
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

I've replaced my trunk weatherstripping too (and not very well either, it sags) But the trunk still lifts on it's own. Oh well, just an urban myth I heard I guess.
Old 08/23/2005, 10:10 AM   #29
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

The trunk lid is notorious for popping up quickly because it is fiberglass, where the non-GTCS were metal. The lower weight of the fiberglass lets the springs push hard and fast. Not a determination of a GTCS, but certainly a possible symptom that many have. Casey
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2005, 10:12 AM   #30
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

I'll buy that !

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions