• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Grass Valley CA Mustang show a success

still looking for one

It was held tonight from 7-10 pm, by Nevada County Mustangers, LOTS of Mustangs of every description from 1964 1/2 through 1973, and a few of the really new ones (200-2006) plus lots of FoMoCo cars of interest, such as Cobras, Carroll Shelby cars, a '64 Falcon Sprint, '40 truck (Best of Show),
'57 Sunliner, Model A, Model T, and of course Tim and Sharon's GT CS collection, plus their new Gulfstream aqua clone (Very convincing) clone, their '69 GT fastfack and Sharon's '66 yellow notchback daily driver, with Displays of the GT/CS shirts - and Jon's shirts too....

I finally got to meet Tim "Midnight Special" and Sharon, GREAT FOLKS, who came, with the whole family - so convoying was no problem - what an awesome sight to see the parade of GT/CS cars, leave, all in a row!!- and I got to meet Mike "Something Special" and his wife too - really good folks, and got a quick update on the Resto project of Mike's Highland Green '68, the very car Tim owned back in High School, now to soon rise respendent as a fully restored GT/CS in his friend Mike's hands.

I'm getting really educated, I wish all of you here could have been at the show. A great time had by all who came.

Maybe Tim and Mike had some pictures to post, The Cal Specials generated huge interest with the crowd. I wore the Calif Special polo shirt made by Tim and Sharon, and it prompted conversations (flying the colors, so to speak) about the Specials.

I hope another show comes again!!!

Jim B.

marie68csmustangs

Yeah Jim, I wish there was another show But, I remember that there was another car show at the farigrounds Tim I'm sure will let me know. I wish that I was there at the show also... But, I had to work that day.. Yeah, Tim did tell me about that car - that He owned in HS, It was one bad beast! The cars that Tim has today can't compare to that one!!

Marie

Midnight Special

...Pictures...

Mustang68Mx said:
:grin: Pictures???

...The day started off w/ my son T.J. & I polishing, prepping & making ready for "pilots" Sean & Cathy O'Brien, Sharon & Tom Lykins, Rachel O'Brien, and the famous Mike & Robinette. My wife Frances & I drove Sharon's neat li'l '66 coup (as lead car) with it's zippy 289 4v! The 8-mile drive to Grass Valley was in parade fashion, all together and lights on. We arrived to the delight of everyone there... They thought we were from a club. ;-)

Attachments

• g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 51
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 40
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 42
  • g7.jpg
    g7.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 32
  • g8.jpg
    g8.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 30
  • g9.jpg
    g9.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 41

Midnight Special

More pics...

...There were indeed alot of cars there! Good attendance and perfect weather!

Attachments

• g27.jpg
    g27.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 23
  • g25.jpg
    g25.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 28
  • g21.jpg
    g21.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 27
  • g20.jpg
    g20.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 33
  • g17.jpg
    g17.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 25
  • g14.jpg
    g14.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 26
  • g11.jpg
    g11.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Midnight Special

More...

There was one other GT/CS clone (Dearborn const.#) and this immaculate '68 GT500 convertible that the owner paid $4,500 for about 20 years ago... 'Says all he did was a few minor repairs and replace the soft top. The car sits in storage most of the time. I also loved this Cougar with a 429! There was an R code 4-spd. Mach I and alot of Cobras as well...

Attachments

• g22.jpg
    g22.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 22
  • g28.jpg
    g28.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 27
  • g12.jpg
    g12.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 29
  • g16.jpg
    g16.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 31
  • g18.jpg
    g18.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 25
  • g19.jpg
    g19.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 27
  • g30.jpg
    g30.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 31

Midnight Special

More...

...All in all, a fun & relaxing event! It was very nice to meet Jim (Still looking for one) and share stories w/ he and other owners. Sharon & Tom (w/ straw hats) sittin' back w/ my oldest son Tom who brought his '69 coup, as well as older brother Sean & wife Cathy taking in some evening rays... Mike and Robinette were hard to keep up with for all the fellowship they bring to everyone at these shows...

Attachments

• M&R.jpg
    M&R.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 39
  • g26.jpg
    g26.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 33
  • g24.jpg
    g24.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 29
  • g23.jpg
    g23.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 27
  • g13.jpg
    g13.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 39
  • C&S.jpg
    C&S.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 28

Midnight Special

Then finally...

...the rather expensive trip home. 'Bad enough topping one of these off w/ premium these days - Try seven! When I went up to the counter - the guy was on the phone to someone saying "Dude - like, a whole #### load of classic Mustangs just pulled into my station, MAN!!!"

Attachments

• g33.jpg
    g33.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 31
  • g34.jpg
    g34.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Midnight Special

...My pleasure Paul (& to all). I read Terry's post as well re; Fathers Day Show & Shine and like him, we didn't win any awards either & didn't care... We did have a great time promoting and educating with enthusiasm & class thanks to Mike, Jim B. and all the drivers in Jon's polo shirts. Mike even had a card table set up w/ virtually anything you would want to know about the cars, this site and GT/CS history... We have three more "deployments" planned thru August & will continue to update w/ pictures.

PFSlim

Zach (my son) and I attended a car show on Sunday as well here in Missouri. We went last year and was skunked out. We went back for another dose, since the first one didn't stick. We got shut out again.

After I got home, I was still amazed. I registered the car in the Original class. After giving it more thought, maybe I can't win in the original class because our car is restored. All other cars that have taken home awards, for both years, have been original - non restored.

So, maybe I learned something new.

Paul

Midnight Special

...I can see that... You know I really didn't pay that much attention when I registered mine. 'Just filled in the "make, model & year" in a hurry so I could take my family to a nearby resturaunt for dinner... I guess what I'm saying is I have ALOT to learn re; car shows. I'm at peace for not winning for the fact this is my first year of car shows and my preparation has been more of a production line of polishing cars as opposed to you and so many others here who have really paid the price ie; 100% correct parts, fasteners, attention to detail and just plain hard work! I know mine are very appealing, but not original enough to win "original" and not radical enough to win "Best Resto-mod" etc... Tho I will always do my best to make a great presentation, I vow never to get too up tight if I don't place 1rst among 100 - 300 other very beautiful cars. I'm simply spread too thin for that kind of dedication.

The approval of those who stop by and admire is much more fun for me ;-)

Midnight Special

marie68csmustangs said:
Tim - What year was that Mach 1?

Marie, there were two other Machs there besides mine. A white '69 R code 4-speed and another '69 w/ a pumped 351 Windsor (hoodless)...

Attachments

• g10.jpg
    g10.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 25
  • g15.jpg
    g15.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 22

BroadwayBlue

Love your attitudes on the approach to shows. Same here!

I love telling people about the car and I also have a binder I put together with scanned copies of the original postcard, ad's, history, etc ...

Some of the best stuff is over hearing comments people say as they walk by and don't realize you're the owner or don't think you can hear. All has been good. A few young guys and gals were walking by Friday night at a cruise and said this is a nice car. I also love to watch the people that take the long walk to the back and check out the rear ... then the conversation usually starts and the education class begins :wink:

First show and cruise this year I didn't get anything but had a great time none the less!

Great job guys and great pics!

Mustanglvr

I was at a car show last year and a couple of 18 yr old boys looked at my car and one said to the other "Hey a California Special!" The other one said back to him "Yeah there`s one in Cottonwood, that I`d like to get my hands on." Well he did`nt realize that my car was most probably the car he`d seen in Cottonwood, a little town about 30 miles from here. I used to live there and I go there every once in awhile to cruise around.
It was quite a compliment. As far as I can tell there are probably only 3 GT/CS`s in the state of Minnesota. Does anybody know of more here in this state?

Diesel Donna

I am very much on the same track as BroadwayBlue and Tim, my car needs paint but I still show it and get a great reaction. I even still gather trophies and we are talking SoCal here! Endless supply of perfect classic cars here.It's like sports, I like playing them but I don't have to win every time. And the remarks are funny like BroadwayBlue said, and they really never expect that it could possibly be a woman that owns the car. It's even funnier when I drive and show my ambulance. It's really not a bad thing to have firemen and paramedics chasing you down, pointing, waving and taking pictures!! WOOOOHOOOO! Some ambulance drivers whoop their sirens at me. Okay so I got caught up in rambling on :icon_pacm blah blah blah blah blah.

OP
OP
S

still looking for one

Diesel Donna said:
I am very much on the same track as BroadwayBlue and Tim, my car needs paint but I still show it and get a great reaction. I even still gather trophies and we are talking SoCal here! Endless supply of perfect classic cars here.It's like sports, I like playing them but I don't have to win every time. And the remarks are funny like BroadwayBlue said, and they really never expect that it could possibly be a woman that owns the car. It's even funnier when I drive and show my ambulance. It's really not a bad thing to have firemen and paramedics chasing you down, pointing, waving and taking pictures!! WOOOOHOOOO! Some ambulance drivers whoop their sirens at me. Okay so I got caught up in rambling on :icon_pacm blah blah blah blah blah.

Did you whoop BACK? (sorry, couldn't resist):cheesy:

Diesel Donna

still looking for one said:
Did you whoop BACK? (sorry, couldn't resist):cheesy:

After taking a fast look around for any county mounties, yes I did!

Mustanglvr

Speaking of county mounties. My speedometer does`nt work and so I keep up with traffic pretty good in my GT/CS, or well, traffic tries to keep up with me, I guess. :) (Thats my story and I`m sticking to it.) Anyway, whenever a police car is coming towards me from the other direction, they never pull me over. I think they are too busy focusing in on my car to figure out what it is and they don`t see that I am speeding. :) Has anybody experienced this?
Really, it does`nt matter whether its a cop or the average person driving past me, 90 percent of them have their eyes bugged out and their mouths open when they see my car coming towards them, LOL.