• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

ADMIN - New forums are here!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
As you've probably noticed I've upgraded to a new forum software; vBulletin.

Please bare with me as I work out all the kinks. Many little things need to be finessed, but it's a much more powerful software and I think everyone will be happier with it once you give it some time.

If you're having problems logging in please email me (webmaster@californiaspecial.com ) or post in this thread. I'm going to turn guest posting on for a while until everyone gets logged in OK.

The first place to start customizing your account is by clicking the "User CP" link in the upper left. This is your User Control Panel and lets you do things like chose an avatar , edit your email notification preferences, check your private messages, set your timezone, etc. Start there and if you have questions just ask!

Thanks!

nfrntau

My password didn't work either. Just followed the instructions given and was back and running in no time.
Looks like it's going to be really nice when it's finished and all the bugs are worked out.
Cheers Bill

U

Unregistered

Jon,
I had the same problem as Bill, but following the instructions fixed the problem. It's going to take a little to get used to the new forums but it looks great. I would like to give my overwhelming "Thanks" for all you do for the group.

Doug

68gt390

Jon;
Everything seems to work now after resetting my password. Will have to get used to new layout but, it looks much cleaner and easier to use.

Thanks for your hard work setting all this up.

Don

p51

Good looking Threads!!

Looks like everything is working great w/the new sw. Really like the looks of it. Now, the only thing to ckeck is if the smilies are working....

...H:eek::eek:TERS...

...yep, seems to be working ok :grin:

P

PNewitt

This looks a lot cleaner, as it gives everyone's words a lot more class....

I noticed something weird in the translation. I see "&quot" popping up here and there. is that some sort of Mac thing to PC-based web work?

Anyway, give it a look.

Thanks,
Paul N.

BTW--I had to re-do my password, too, to get in.

P

PNewitt

I'm gonna whine about one more thing, then say no more. The "downside" to upgrading something like a website, is that it ripples through things that are fine just as they are.

My message box, now, all of a sudden, is "too full" to accept mail, and I'm sure it has something also to do with how my new avatar (?) won't load.

NOW I need to carefully sort out my mail--all 109 pieces of it, so I don't lose important information. It's not as if I can just dump it all into a .php (or whatever it is) MS type file into my Mac--just like that.

OK. I said it. now back to sorting my mail....

Paul N.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
No need to delete important messages. I just bumped the max up to 200. Just let me know about stuff like this and I'll gladly adjust if I can. Remember, it's new software for me too, and much more advanced that what we had before. I tried to get all the settings the way they were before, but I'm sure I've missed a few.

The avatar problem should be unrelated to messages. What's the problem exactly? Walk me through it and maybe we can help others having the same problem.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
PNewitt said:
It's not as if I can just dump it all into a .php (or whatever it is) MS type file into my Mac--just like that.
Actually you can. If you go to your Private Messages and scroll all the way to the bottom right there's a section that says, "Download all Private Messages as:" If you select CSV (comma separated file) or Text you should then be able to insert that into a spreadsheet or text reader, MAC or PC based.

P

PNewitt

I'm probably the only person here with that many messages. It's just that most of these messages contain tidbits of info from owners, and I need to sort it out. Thanks for making a bigger mailbox for me.

I wasn't aware of the software being "new". An assumption on my part--sorry.

I just tried the avatar thingy, and I'll be danged...it works! hey- It's my car at the Marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge!

Don't let me say that I don't appreciate everything you're doing here, Jon. It's wonderful, and there are contacts and friendships--as well as great input to how I do my next book--all from this website.

It's pretty clear that we all appreciate your hard work. We just got caught off guard, and fell on our butts with the lights out, after the furniture got rearranged!

PAUL N.

68gt390

Jon;
I've noticed when I try and use one of the smilies it show's up in the "title" box rather than on my post. Not sure how to correct that. It's more than likely something simple I've overlooked or not doing right. See above example.

Don

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
68gt390, I think you're using the "post icons" instead of the smiles. The "Post icons" show up below the text input screen. The smilies that go into your actual message are down the right side of the screen.

If that's not what you meant let me know.

68gt390

Jon;
All I have on my screen are the Post Icons. Nothing on the right side of the screen? Is there something I need to set manually to get them to show up?

Don

68CaliSp

Don,
Go to your user cp, then edit options, scroll down to the end of the page. At the bottom is an option box titled miscellaneous options, once there change the setting to Standard Editor-Extra formating Controls, this should fix the problem