• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What would you do?? (assemble now or restore?)

Matstng

I'm not sure what to do and am looking for input. I picked up a 68 GT/CS project with all the pieces but it's been taken apart for paint. Should I reassemble the car with the old pieces and enjoy driving it or spend the money and restore it?

More detail:
The paint isn't great, about a 6-7 of 10. It'd been moved several times after paint and has several chips.
I'm cash poor right now with too many other projects so reassembling it with the pieces I have will put it on the road much sooner.
Restoring it will take me several years.

I'm leaning toward reassembling and enjoying it now and do a rolling restoration in a year or two.

Comments?

BigJim

For me it really depends on the current condition. If the condition is good enough that putting it back together and driving it will not result in damage to the car I would put it together and drive it until I could restore it. If however, there is cancer which will get worse and consume parts or the bearings are going out and driving could damage the engine then I would get the work done before driving it.

rvrtrash

I would reassemble and drive it. If nothing else, you'll find out what parts might be missing so you can look for them over a longer period of time and find better deals.

Steve

somethingspecial

Having Concours restored my GT/CS at the tune of 25K just in parts, not including the cost of the car, and I doing the labor, If I was to do it again, I would reassemble to drive. Do it right. Make it safe, and make it yours. JMHO

robert campbell

Drive drive drive!!! A no brainer for me. Trailer queens are for.... well.... I guess people who like queens!!

Rob!!!

OP
OP
Matstng

Matstng

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to assemble and drive.

The car is in very good condition and was even painted about 5 years ago although I have found a small rust issue which I will fix and is luckly not going to affect the paint.
I should be able to redo the drivetrain (rebuild motor and trans) so that will be good and it looks like I have 95% of what I'll need to reassemble.
I am worried that I'll have to continue to keep myself in check as I have a tendency to restore and replace as I go which not only takes time, as somthingspecial said, it cost a lot more $$$$.

Thanks again, I'll post pics as it progresses...

Matt

OP
OP
Matstng

Matstng

I'm not sure I'll be able to keep myself from working on the car before I've agreed to with my wife. I moved some of the parts into the shop from the trunk and found more original parts including the remote mirror, air cleaner, starter, front bumper braces, and the carb which looks to be a recently rebuilt. I may have to sneak in some minor restoration like blasting and coating some of these braces.
The rear quarters look to be original and undamaged. I'll start a reassembly thread shortly.

robert campbell

Crap, they are all rolling restorations unless you put them on a coffee table and trailer them around...... My cars have had minor rust (bottom front of doors and a couple of rear quarter to wheel house) issues. Comes with the territory!!

Drive it!!! Enjoy it!!! Love it!!! Go to cruise nights!! Drive it to work!!!

Anything else is a waste of true Ford Detroit iron!! Built in America!! American steel!!! American sweat to build it and preserve it!!!

I hear the Star Spangled Banner and it is Memorial Day weekend!!!

Rob

Midnight Special

Crap, they are all rolling restorations unless you put them on a coffee table and trailer them around...... My cars have had minor rust (bottom front of doors and a couple of rear quarter to wheel house) issues. Comes with the territory!!

Drive it!!! Enjoy it!!! Love it!!! Go to cruise nights!! Drive it to work!!!

Rob

...That's where it's at for me! And if you have more than one, invite your friends to drive, enjoy and experience them as well. Nothin' pisses me off more than to replace sets of tires with cracked sidewalls and plenty of tread left on them! And damned if I'm going to grow old (like some I purchased from who waited until their knees were too bad to climb in & out...) looking back and wishing we did WAY more than stand around looking and talking, but afraid of driving!

You have something that appeals the same as Carroll's finest (except to insatiable know-it-alls who are a waste of your time anyway) ! Real people love them, and they'll come to love the GT/CS history when it is freely conveyed without the postulating ego trip. And they love everything you do with them, especially a ride. ...All for about 1/10th of the investment.

We're in a good place! Make a difference where it matters most! Your delight in ownership and corresponding exposure will keep $$ values up in the long run as well, or better than "proper FoMoCo fan belts"... :)

Attachments

• DSC_3950.jpg
    DSC_3950.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0563.jpg
    DSC_0563.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: