• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

tachometer

karolscali

i have seen on some gallery pictures of the small tach you could place where clock goes, does anyone know where one could be found who sells them? thanx merry x-mas to one and all

Mosesatm

karolscali said:
i have seen on some gallery pictures of the small tach you could place where clock goes, does anyone know where one could be found who sells them? thanx merry x-mas to one and all

Here is a post from the guy in Australia who makes and sells the tachs.

G'day fellas,

One of your members mentioned to me that he'd come across a posting of the Mustang mini-tach on this forum so of course, I just had to check it out

As this is my first post, I'd better introduce myself. My name is Mike Brand and I manufacture the Retrogauge Mini-Tach here in Australia. It's great to see it being put to good use in some of the finest examples of Mustangs ever produced. Co-incidentally, I was just chatting with an owner of a GTCS over here in West Oz, who claims it's one of three in the state. He emailed me asking if he should buy a 6000 or an 8000 RPM tach.

For the record, I sell a lot more 8k units than sixes. I think much of the reason that people buy an 8K is that they're of the perception that they will damage a 6K tach if it exceeds the 6000 mark. This is not true (at least with our tachs). We utilize a moving coil movement, which simply comes to an end stop - over revving cannot damage it. The 6k unit also has the advantage of an expanded (less condensed) scale so is also a little easier to read. If you are not regularly going to thrash the gas, I'd say go for the 6000 unit.

I read the above posts thoroughly and you may also be interested to know that the correct paint to use for restoring the needles (or pointers) is Model Master (by Testor Corporation) Fluorescent Red # FS28915. We use a PMS equivalent to this for colouring the Mini-Tach pointers so it will be a perfect match.

You can always PM me or email me at info@retrogauge.com if you have any questions.

On a personal note, I've just commenced my 67 fastback restomod project. The car is being converted to right-hand drive and will be heavily modified. I've always had original and/or restored Stangs but this time I'm going out on a limb (and no it's not and Eleanor replica). The finished car will also feature some very special instrumentation, the likes of which I'm building especially for the project which will also be a prototype for a new range.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Cheers, Mike B.

Perkchiro

I wanted to give my vote of satisfaction on this product. I've installed it in my car and it works great. If you decide to buy it, I think you'll be pleased.

PFSlim

Just as a side note, I installed a different one from a Jeep CJ tach bought from Ebay. It works fine, however, you need to make the hole larger on the back of the instrument panel. It is my understanding that the one Casey put in does not require any extra modifications. Therefore, I would go with there recommendations.

Paul

case12

PFSlim said:
It is my understanding that the one Casey put in does not require any extra modifications.
Paul

Right - no modifications for the tach on ebay. Remove the plate and screw the tach right in place (of course, you need to wire it per the instructions). Casey