• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Preferred way to restore engine bay?

miller511

Hi all,

I'll be pulling the engine out of the CS tomorrow night.

Hmmm, probabaly would be a good time to detail the engine bay.

This got me to thinking about what approach to take regarding detailing it.

What I'd like to have for a finished product is a nice looking (doesn't have to be perfect) engine bay.

What have you guys/gals done to accomplish this?

Has anyone used media blasting to strip the old paint? Or chemical strippers? Or sand paper?

Thanks, Jeff

Mosesatm

If the bay hasn't been painted by anyone else you may want to consider leaving the factory paint. In general paint really doesn't like to stick to metal so that factory paint makes for a great base coat. If it's in good shape my advice is to just scuff it up with some 400 and spray over it. If you have some chips and scratches, feather them out and/or fill them with spot putty, spray a good primer surfacer over them, sand the primer, and apply the paint.

di81977

I went the media blast way when I pulled my engine. Very happy with the results. You need to keep in mind that if you do have the engine compartment media blasted, you never know what you might find (previously repaired damage, rust, etc) and repairs could add up.

Good luck with which ever way you go.

david

Attachments

• Media Blast Results.jpg
    Media Blast Results.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 393 Stroker.jpg
    393 Stroker.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 58

rvrtrash

I media blasted mine, primed, and then sprayed with NAPA Chassis Black. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Steve

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Arlie/David/Steve,

Thanks for the input. The engine bay has what looks like several layers of paint. It' s got quite a bit of orange peel texture.

For you guys that went with the media blasting- What media did you use?

Looks like there is a variety of blasting media from plastic beads to walnut shells to aluminum oxide.

Did you guys do this yourselves? If so, how many pounds (and what type) of media did you use?

-Jeff

patty.dilabio

howdy!hope all is well in tracy..just a few pointers if this is your first engine compartment restoration,if there are several layers of paint i would recommend chemical paint stripper.it will be something you can do yourself,and is much more controllable than blasting.if everything is removed it isnt that difficult,and unlike blasting the rest of the car is not at risk.it requires really good masking to prevent the sand from going everywhere!!the ultimate method is bakingsoda blasting,but that service may not be available to you.if you are doing it on your own..pace yourself,and remember the prep is the secret.use metal conditioner on all bare metal and i use ditzler epoxy primer .it is a fantastic base and any paint can be applied over it when cured.so to recap--step 1 remove everything.step 2 de grease.step 3 remove old paint.step 4 repair any metal cracks-tears-splits-fatigue cracks-then check to make sure it is all straight and aligned properly.then mask/or remask prior to metal conditioning.step 5 prime and allow to cure.use the best materials possible so you will have the most durable finish.good luck and have a great christmas!!

PFSlim

We used a media blaster. Then, we applied Por 15. It sticks great and will be there forever. However, it is a gloss shine and not the flat black it should be.

Good luck.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang01.JPG
    Stang01.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Stang025.JPG
    Stang025.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 48

rvrtrash

I have 2 different media blaster setups (for different size projects) but I had the engine compartment and underside done at a local shop, because it's such a huge, messy job and his diesel powered compressor does in 1 hour what it would take me all day to do with my puny 80 gal. elec. compressor. Well worth the money. Both he and I use alum. oxide on most metals. FYI, I use glass beads on soft parts like alum. intakes and valve covers.

Steve

P.S. Paul, you're not that far off. The engine compartment should be semi-gloss and for People's Choice awards at shows, the high gloss looks better. I painted one of my engine compartments flat black and it definitely doesn't look right.

Steve

PFSlim

I have to tell you that the Por 15 will stay on a media blasted engine bay for the life of the car. It will never come off and it is very easy to clean and make look very nice again.

I am not sorry I applied the Por 15. it was in great need of stopping the corrosion. We did that and made a nice finish as well.

Thanks Steve.

Paul

6t8-390gt

If this is a driver I would steam clean, scuff and re-paint. Remove as many small pieces as possible and strip those with what you have available (blaster, chemical). Mustang Monthly has done a few articles on engine and engine compartment detailing, you might be able to get a back issue for reference.
I would concentrate on the engine itself. Remove carb, belts, pullies, brackets, hoses, wiring, etc. and detail (paint). Replace gas lines, belts, hoses, and decals with the correct reproduction stuff. I think you will be surprised with the results.

IMO blasting the entire engine compartment will lead to the snow ball effect and you will find your car all apart in the garage for a few years.

rvrtrash

6t8-390gt said:
IMO blasting the entire engine compartment will lead to the snow ball effect and you will find your car all apart in the garage for a few years.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :grin:

Steve

Perkchiro

Ditto on that! I was not my first intention to dismantle my car when I got it. One thing led to another and then in no time it was in parts all over the garage. As it turned out, it was the BEST way for me to restore my car. Media blasting revealed body filler and rust in areas I hadn't expected. This gave me the opportunity to have it repaired correctly. But oh boy, what an experience!!!! I must say I enjoyed almost every aspect of it. In fact, I'm really getting the itch to restore another one:eek: .

6t8-390gt

Perkchiro said:
I'm really getting the itch to restore another one:eek: .

Yeah, I finished mine Labor Day 2005. This summer I bought a 428 Cobra Jet project that I hope to dive into after the Holidays.

My uncle was encouraging me to paint the backing plates when I was doing a brake job on my driver a few months ago, "just 3 bolts". I told him the LCA would then look bad, the springs, UCA, sway bar. The whole front suspension would have been out if I had listened to him.

Jayscal

Hey PFSLIM did you hire a midget to work on the engine compartment? I see two legs with boots in the second picture you posted. The POR 15 looks good.

PFSlim

Nope. Those are by boots and a pair of fake legs to make everything think I was working!!!

My son Zach was in the trunk doing Por 15 when we took that picture.

Paul