• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Who has a hood tachometer on their GT/CS?

classicsguy

In a Mustang Monthly magazine I saw one featured Cal Spec with one that was dealer installed and it looked cool!!! I do not know if this hood tach was available for 1968 but I know that 1969 Mach 1's had them for an option. Has anyone installed any on their car either factory or dealer or aftermarket???

hcsstang

Dave Spencer put one on. I think that it was 68 model. He belongs to this website but I haven't anything from him in some time. I emailed him a few months ago but haven't heard from him.He has a 289.

P

PNewitt

There is one documented on a CS installed by a Ford dealer in Monterey, CA., in the registry.

Some of the '69 parts overallaped with the '68 model year, and that was one of them.

They do look pretty cool.

Paul.

PFSlim

Look through the large (old) gallery. You can see Spencer's car there and I believe Norman's is in the car show or additional pictures on the first page. I remember wanting one of these when I did my restoration.

Paul

P

PNewitt

I keep forgetting to tell this story....

In my 1988 interview with Lee Grey (So. Calif. Sales Mgr. in 1968), he told me that they originally wanted to include the in-dash tach as part of the GT/CS package.

In fact, the pilot cars on the floor of the Century Plaza Hotel (promo night, Feb 15, 1968) all had in-dash tachs, regardless of engine type or trans type. It was part of that "looks like a Shelby" idea (since all Shelbys had in-dash tachs) I can't say if they were all 6 grand or 8 grand type..

Unfortunately, it didn't become a production item.

More about it in the book.

Paul N.

sam

what does it look like...............any pictures out there?
Sam

68 special

there are 2 on ebay made by Dixco around the $300 mark.
item # 140042585594 and 220037762728

I have one on my GT/CS in the gallery. look under Brets GT/CS on the last page. Not a very good picture, but gives you an idea. Not sure if my is a Dixco or not. It has the Ford logo on the face. I paid $80 at a swap meet.

Bret