• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Adding a Tachometer

GTCSNJ

Does anyone know if a dash or steering column tach was available as a Dealer option? I would like to install somthing that is period correct.

Thanks, Gary

Mosesatm

There was a large dash tach that went in the right hand bezel. It replaced whatever gauges are in that pod and warning lights were used instead of those gauges. Whenever they show up on eBay they sell for around $500 or more. Or are you asking about auxillary tachs?

I bought a large Cougar tach off eBay and hope to some day install it in the Highland Green 4-speed car I don't yet have. It doesn't look exactly like the Mustang tach but it's if you're not too picky that may be a route to take.

OP
OP
G

GTCSNJ

I guess I am looking for an auxillary tach? I did not want to disassemble the dash. I was thinking about somthing like the 66 shelby dash tach.

Gary

PFSlim

Gary

I know this is something it appears you do not want to do, but this is what we did.

Our car did not have a clock. Therefore, I ordered a Jeep CJ tach and placed it in place of the clock. I had to do alittle modification on the dash support, but with the cover installed, you can not tell the difference. As well, the numbers on the tach look very close to the mustang numbers on speedo. Most people can not even tell the difference and allows us to have a tach and utilize an area not utilized.

I know what you are asking about but can not help you as we decided to go this other route.

Paul

GTCSTexan

PFSlim said:
Gary

I know this is something it appears you do not want to do, but this is what we did.

Our car did not have a clock. Therefore, I ordered a Jeep CJ tach and placed it in place of the clock. I had to do alittle modification on the dash support, but with the cover installed, you can not tell the difference. As well, the numbers on the tach look very close to the mustang numbers on speedo. Most people can not even tell the difference and allows us to have a tach and utilize an area not utilized.

I know what you are asking about but can not help you as we decided to go this other route.

Paul

Gary,

Can you give more details on the tach you bought. Do you have a link to it online?

Thanks.

PFSlim

Arlie

That tach looks interesting. It is not the tach we put in but looks like one that would not require any extra modifications.

I really like ours and the spot that it is in.

Paul

CalPaul

I purchased a circa 1966 Cobra dash mount tach that I plan to install on my steering column. I plan to have it off to the left side at about a 45 degree angle so it doesn't block the gauges to much. I wanted to stay period correct so I chose this route. Just going to use hose clamps (covered in black electrical tape) to hold it down.