• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tell Ford SVT what you think of the '07 GT/CS

hicountrybob

390cs68rcode said:
you got dibs on them already?
Jason, it's like the Bible says "ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE". I've asked!!! I would hope that Paul N. would honor my request for #1, #2 and #3 as I have 3 cars and 3 grown children (boys) who will each get a car when we die and I would like each of them to have the '89 and '96 (signed) books I have, as well as this late book. It's up to Paul N.

Canuck CSter

PNewitt said:
I'm considering having a limited number (1,000 to 1,500) of hardbound cover, signed and numbered 180 page versions for $90-100 each. And then a softcover (unsigned) version for considerably less, without the registry.

Paul N.

Count me in for 1 of the signed and hardbound.

If it wasn't for paul, doubt the CS at BJ's would have brought down 49 K, not to mention ebays spike.

DR in Ottawa

mikegtcs1968

I seriously doubt that you will sell 1500 of the booklets for $90. But it's wise to start the price at a ridiculous premium as such and then lower your price as demand drops off. My advice to all buyers is to hold out on the $90 price unless you just have to have one immediately and buy one when they reach an acceptable $30-35 range, or just download a .pdf of it like I did for his first 2 booklets.

rvrtrash

Oh come on Mike! What difference should it be to you how we choose to spend our money? Let it go man. You offended some people by your words and they called you to task for it. Either take responsiblity, apologize and move on or drop it. You're credibility is suffering by posting these "sour grapes" responses.
Steve

CJ 56

HI Paul, May Video and Copy of Marti and CD of pictures should be with you about now. If we are lining up for books and the first ones are gone am I able to joint the list and request number 68. I percieve $90-$100USD for the bound and signed as good value.
CJ56 in New Zealand
Chris

Mosesatm

I'm thrilled with the price. The way Paul was talking I was expecting $200-$250. That's why I asked the question.

Jayscal

Mosesatm said:
The way Paul was talking I was expecting $200-$250.

Oh give me a break, I can understand $90.00 for a hard cover special signed edition for those who want it. But there should also be a reasonable priced book with the info/registry and picture DVD that we the dedicated owners, and active website participants sent the info in to help update this registry. If this book is priced too high, it won't sell to the average Mustang person who is interested in this special car we have. Why push this car into obscurity by limiting the info to only the people who can pay an extremely high price for the book. Yes those people are out there, but they are few and far between. So a GT/CS sold for $49,000 at Barrett-Jackson, that is wonderful. But I still don't believe the prices on all GT/CS cars will sell for this on E-bay cause one guy with way too much money, got caught up in a bidding war with some Saudi Arabian guy.

Why don't the dealers just price this new GT/CS at $75,000 because this might be what the price will reflect in 38 years, that way they can make money if they only sell 25 units. I recently sold a 65 Mustang thunderjet slot car for $45.00 on E-bay, does that give slot car makers the right to charge $45.00 for new slot cars because they will be possibly more valuable in the future...NO it doesn't. Please be realistic here.

I am not trying to piss anyone off here, but as a owner of one of these unusual cars for almost 22 years I feel I have a valid point. E-bay prices on the original 1988 book reflect the fact that the book is indeed 18 years old, was produced in limited quantities, and no longer in production. When I bought my 88 book back in 1988, I didn't buy two copies, because I thought $20.00 was a high price for a small book. Paul please take my opinion into consideration, and I think you will have more book sales and get the word out to more Mustangers in general. Isn't getting the info out to the general public what this site and the book is for? Think about it, that other Mustang site stated "I just can't recall anybody saying "I'm going to wait until they resurrect the California Special." That just shows the car is already obscure to the general Mustang people.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

There is also going to be a softcover (unsigned) version for considerably less, without the registry.

Paul why will the softcover book not have the registry? Will the registry be available for purchase separately?

case12

mikegtcs1968 said:
I seriously doubt that you will sell 1500 of the booklets for $90. But it's wise to start the price at a ridiculous premium as such and then lower your price as demand drops off. My advice to all buyers is to hold out on the $90 price unless you just have to have one immediately and buy one when they reach an acceptable $30-35 range, or just download a .pdf of it like I did for his first 2 booklets.

Just a note - downloading copyright information without the author's permission (in this case Paul Newitt) is illegal. In this case someone had to purposefully scan the information with intent to distribute as the books were all originally hardcopy.

Also, any hard back Mustang book I have picked up at the book store, that is not just a coffee table book, runs at least $35-$60 bucks. Paul's hard back book is a Mustang specialty book, with a registry, on the order of the SAAC registry (though shorter). $90 sounds fair to me, and it is awfully nice of Paul to offer a soft bound version for a lower price. If new GT/CS owners get wind of the book (as they will want to one day register their cars), they may create a new market as well.

Lastly, Mike - you make some interesting points regarding business modeling, marketing, product pricing, market segmentation, NPV (net present value), IRR (internal rate of return) etc - I get what you are saying. This site likes a lively debate on the issues. It's just the tone with which you are making the points that is bothersome.

NPV's and IRR's aside, Paul's credentials speak for themselves. I don't know anyone else who has put as much time, money, and passion into the GTCS as Paul has over the decades. And I don't know anyone else published as often, and in as many publications as Paul has been quoted, or has authored. Are we mixing hobby and business terms? - maybe you are right on that. But Paul has earned his credentials - they were not self-appointed.

Thanks for hearing me out. Casey

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Casey, and others for your comments in support.

I don't expect everyone to "like" the $90-100 price. My admission to that was a direct answer to Arlie. When I do my mailer, it will explain how the registry cars will be in color, and that I'm including an extra, like a dash plaque or something "neat" and exclusive to the registry members.

Doing the deluxe edition with YOUR car in color is like saying: "Here is your car, in this book". The softcover edition is for the average person that wants to know about the car, it's history, and restoration. There are a lot of Mustang collectors that aren't into seeing 800 cars on 30 or more pages.

No one "has to" buy a copy. I'll do the 1000, or 1,500 deluxe copies, and then sell them until they are sold out. This might sound greedy to some, but remember how I only charged $12.95 for the 1988 book. If I don't get what I think is worth my time, I can guarantee you that they would go for at least $100 a copy on EBAY, if I only asked something like $20. This is just business. If I was doing like 20,000 copies or something, that would be different, but this is a very special, limited edition high quality book for a small group of GT/CS (HCS) enthusiasts.

As for the DVD, that is down the road, and will not be in the book.

Paul N.

Perkchiro

I've read through this thread and noted some lively conversation, but I have also noted some verbal abuse and personal insults to Paul. That is inappropriate. I have no ax to grind with Mike, but I do take issue with his arrogant attitude, superior tone and tenor toward Paul. He doesn't deserve such anal discharge. Paul has been nothing but a helpful friend on this website. I have personally gleaned helpful information from him, Don Potter, Paul Stevenson, Brian Beatty, Cory (Hook) and many others here on this site. I fail to see the motive behind Mike's criticisms and I do take issue with those who don't like Paul's book pricing. I can't imagine how much time it takes to compile the information for a book of this magnitude. This is a free market and Paul doesn't owe any of us a "favor" by selling it cheaply. A nice, hardbound book with color illustrations at $90 to $100 certainly doesn't sound expensive to me, and I'll sign up for one today.

Mike, calm yourself and enjoy the camaraderie on this site. Be helpful and not so critical. You'll live longer.

Steve

Mosesatm

Perkchiro said:
I've read through this thread and noted some lively conversation, but I have also noted some verbal abuse and personal insults to Paul. That is inappropriate. I have no ax to grind with Mike, but I do take issue with his arrogant attitude, superior tone and tenor toward Paul. He doesn't deserve such anal discharge. Paul has been nothing but a helpful friend on this website. I have personally gleaned helpful information from him, Don Potter, Paul Stevenson, Brian Beatty, Cory (Hook) and many others here on this site. I fail to see the motive behind Mike's criticisms and I do take issue with those who don't like Paul's book pricing. I can't imagine how much time it takes to compile the information for a book of this magnitude. This is a free market and Paul doesn't owe any of us a "favor" by selling it cheaply. A nice, hardbound book with color illustrations at $90 to $100 certainly doesn't sound expensive to me, and I'll sign up for one today.

Mike, calm yourself and enjoy the camaraderie on this site. Be helpful and not so critical. You'll live longer.

Steve

143.gif

I agree

Cool, it worked. thanks Jason

...anal discharge....that's an interesting way to phrase it.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Weeellll....At least I don't call elections in Florida....

I just got a side message from someone (whom I don't know yet) that tells me they are DEFINATELY doing the '07 GT/CS, and to WATCH the Super Bowl!

He also tells me that SVT didn't do the car.

In any case, tape the Super Bowl anyway, and we'll see for sure. If it's true, you wouldn't want to miss it (and be P'O'd at me--LOL).

Right now, it's difficult to know if I'm getting my leg pulled, or not--so check it out, and tape it.

Stay Tuned!

Paul N.

PFSlim

Perkchiro said:

Steve

I started to read this thread and said, "boy am I glad I am not involved in this thread". Then it happened, I pushed a button and here I am typing away.

I have always felt this site was the most helpful to all GT/CS and HCS owners because of the knowledge. Without the knowledge of the owners, it would be very difficult (or in our case, impossible) to restore these cars. And, without Paul's book, we would have struggled even more. Before we came to the site and before we found Paul's book, we really did not know what a GT/CS was!!!

Therefore, I find it difficult to swallow when someone "outside" makes foolish remarks about Paul or any other member of the site. We can agree to disagree, which is commonly done by nonresponses to threads, but to blast someone (anyone), I am not sure what is to gain.

I am proud to be a member of this site sharing thoughts, ideas, and advise about how to make our cars better. If I don't agree with a topic or a post, I move on with other interesting threads.

Paul N. - I look forward to being a proud owner of the new hardcover book and I look forward to seeing the cars and information that others from this site have provided.

Paul

texascanuck

PNewitt said:
As a consequence of these "spy photos" of (what may be the pilot car for) the '07 GT/CS, I will be writing a letter to SVT to explain who I am, and to (politely) point out some of the things we have discussed here. I think with the advent of these boards, it would be amiss to not take advantage of your immediate comments, and compile them to let SVT know what we think. After all, we are closer to the GT/CS than anyone else on the planet!

Here will be some of my comments:

1. Front Fascia: Should look more likethe Shelby GT-500. At least the same "mouth" under the bumper as the Shelby. The grille should be sans running horse. Rectangular fog lights placed in the grille would be more appropiate than the GT Fogs. The '05 "Pony" (and Ford GT) fog lights would be better (but without horse and chrome trim). This would make the '07 CS more discinctive.

2. Side Stripe: Try to use the "GT/CS" logo on the side scoop, instead of the forward door area. Since the '04 Mach 1 used the original font, please use the same, 1968 font for the logo

3. Side Scoop: the side scoop should be wide enough in proportion to accept the striped GT/CS logo. No upper side scoop. This will allow greater "blind spot" visibility, as well as continue the "lower scoop only for the CS" for the convertible version (so it looks consistent).

4. Ducktail spoiler only--no wing. Please use similar striping on the back of the spoiler to (at least) mimick the original 1968 decklid stripes.

5. A distinctive taillight panel, between the taillights could mimick the '65 T-Bird lights, as well as include a center section (around the faux gas cap) that would include the words "CALIFORNIA SPECIAL" in chrome that ran across the bottom. At least the lettering: "GT/CS" placed in the middle of the gas cap (similar to the "CE" already in use in No. California).

ANY other comments--ideas?? Please write them here on this thread ASAP. My letter goes out on Monday (Jan 30th).

Thanks!

Paul Newitt

Just one more thing you didn't catch. Where are the hood locks on this thing? They have hood scoop now which is probably non-functional and is going to help pull up the hood at high speeds so even more of a need for hood locks (hood locking pins) than before!

tc