• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Would you trade your 1968 GT/CS for a Fastback of same year?

classicsguy

Given the popularity os Fastbacks thanks to Eleonor: If someone offered you their 1968 Fastback with the same drivetrain as your GT/CS, Would you trade? Please let us know why would you or would not trade?

rjw

Remember that some people have termed the Cal Special as a "poor man's (or woman's!) Shelby." Since Shelbys are such objects of desire and ever increasing values, my opinion is that the Cal Special has benefitted and is poised to benefit even more from the astronomical prices. Despite the fact that the fastbacks have a certain allure and are gaining value, I feel the rarity and distinctiveness of the GT/CS has as much, if not more. When you drive it and get the attention that we do, you know you have something "special."
Richard

68gt390

Would I trade my GT/CS for a Fastback? NOPE!! ;D
Since buying my CS back in Feb 04 and the fact that it is a 390 "S" code with 4 spd that makes it pretty rare. Also, with the car being in Central Ohio, not many people here have ever seen one other than pictures. At almost every show I've been to this year I have to carry extra towels with me to wipe off the drool. Add in the factor that from my point of view the fastbacks are kinda like cameros, everybody has one. Not everybody has a GT/CS and to me I like that. There has only been 1 show I've been to this year were we actually had 2 CS's at the same show and they both took 1st and 2nd place. That was my car and a concourse restored small block at our all Mustang show in September 04.

rjw said it very well, "rarity and distinctiveness" of these cars will only raise the bar for them. I have had so many people tell me they wish my car was for sale.

Don 8)

Attachments

• Potter5.jpg
    Potter5.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 18

dbeal

I would say no. I used to have a 67 fastback. It was "cool" looking but I hated driving it. Horrible blind spots because of the fastback. Even with mirrors I almost hit some one when changing lanes. I had to be extra careful when driving that car. For the "cool" factor though the fastbacks are it.

I can hardly wait until I am able to drive my GT/CS..oh well another year or so....

-=MUSTANG=-

If money was the object sure, fastbacks sell for more. However, as a keeper I'll stick with my GT/CS.

BTW, fastback mustangs were popular long before 'eleanor' was a hit in the movies.

CJ

There is no way I would trade my GT/CS for another car, let alone a fast back. I agree with RJW. Plus, very few people can boast that they are an orginal owner.

CJ

mmarsalone

No, I wouldn't trade either. In fact, I've never been a fan of the early fastbacks. The 69 and 70 sports roofs were the only ones I drool over.

CalPaul

Nope. Part of the reason I bought my GT/CS was due to the Shelby connection/appearance/rarity of the car. A fastback is a type of mustang, but a GT/CS is a breed apart. ;D

BrandonB

The real reason I got Lucy was becuase she looked "Bad ass!" and now that i found out how rare and unique she is she will not leave my hands I mean that. (had 2 people offer 20 Gs for her already)

CobraMan

No go on the trade. I attended the Carroll Shelby show in Dallas, the factory of the Eleanors and spoke to the guys who build them. They explained that manufacturing of the 67 and 68's are going to start again. I don't know the specifics, but I understand some company, Perhaps a Shelby company, purchased all the proper Dies. Again no specifics but understood clearly that the 67-68 fastbacks will be reproduced again for the Eleanors. There are backorders of over 300 vehicles and they don't have enough cars in their warehouse to fill the orders. Additionally, the quality of the cars they are aquiring are getting worse. Total rust buckets ... The VINs will be in the years they manufacture sililar to the VINS that are being provided once the car is turned into an Eleanor minus the original VIN. Crazy story...So based on this information, I would gather from an investment point of view, the CS's will have a higher value.

Cheers

-=MUSTANG=-

Maybe they just bought the stamping dies for the parts they keep finding are rusted out. Anyone who is familiar with how unit bodies are produced will tell you just going out and purchasing old stamping presses does not a mustang make. And I won't even get into the liability issues FORD will have if they ever sell the presses they have kept. Pop riveting together repro aces and properly setting up 35 year old stamping presses and spot welding unit bodies together are light years apart. Fun to ruminate on though.

rvrtrash

I wouldn't trade mine for a fastback even if cash was thrown in unless it said GT500K on the side. The CS is something that not everyone has. (By the way, mine is now officially in the paint shop). As a side note, the "poor man's Shelby" moniker is usually applied to the Sunbeam Tiger. You can trust me on this.
Steve

rvrtrash

Oops! Typed to fast and didn't hit the R key hard enough. The would be GT500KR in the last post. I should reread before I hit send.
Steve

19HCS68

As a side note, the "poor man's Shelby" moniker is usually applied to the Sunbeam Tiger.
Steve, what is a Sunbeam Tiger? ???

To answer the original question, I would trade for a very nice original 4-speed, GT, "R"code fastback. :eek:

Gary

rvrtrash

In short, it's a British sports car about the size of an MG with a Ford V-8 and toploader 4 speed in it, that is styled roughly along the lines of a '57 T-bird. It was designed by Carrol Shelby's co. for road racing and 7000 were built by Sunbeam (actually subcontracted out to Jensen to build them) between 1964 1/2 and 1967. The project was cancelled then because Sunbeam was bought out by Chrysler who had fits about selling something with a Ford engine and nothing they had would work. Since Shelby did the original concept and the car was thousands less than the Cobra, it was billed officially as the worlds fastest sports car for under $3500.00 and unofficially as the poor mans Cobra or poor mans Shelby. It was even featured on some opening shots of a show called "Get Smart" (which I never saw) in the mid 60's. Do an internet search for Sunbeam Tiger and you can get a whole lot more info if you want.
Steve

rvrtrash

Here's a picture of mine taken with my POS antique camera. Never mind the mess in the shop, I've been busy getting the CS ready for paint and cleaning the shop was low on my to do list.

Attachments

• tiger.jpg
    tiger.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 18

TT

Only if the fastback was an original big block car,
Gotta love those cubic's!! :)

hookedtrout

[quote author=TT link=board=1;threadid=1160;start=15#msg6430 date=1099974431]
Only if the fastback was an original big block car,
Gotta love those cubic's!! :)
[/quote]

Never was big on the engine and power. Had too many friends in school big on the HP and big blocks and they spent all their time in the shop working on the car because of all their modifications. Had one friend with a big block in a Torino the would foul plugs constantly and he had to lift the motor to get out the plugs. Me, I like appearance. Never did have to burn rubber to impress the girls in my 65 Mustang 289 in high school I just kept it shined up and looking awesome and it worked like a charm and it always ran excellent, just did the slow cruise and look cool ;D. When my buds would try to talk me into dropping in a big block I just laughed and headed out on a date while they got greasy trying to get their hopped up modified motors to run.

Hook

rvrtrash

Hey Hook, some of us here ain't so pretty and needed help in the impress the girls department, hence the souped up cars. ;D
Steve