• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Pony Carburetors Closing

CougarCJ

I was sent this message as an FYI. Sad stuff, another business catering to the vintage car crowd has closed its doors.

Pony Carbs has closed their doors. It is my understanding that they are
finishing any carbs in process and will be returning those that were not
yet started.

Jon Miles Enyeart died from brain cancer on Monday, August 29th. He was
only 59, and was regarded by many as an expert on Ford carburetors.
Knowing his condition was serious, he took steps to keep his company up
and running in spite of his failing health. Apparently, this is not
working out the way he desired.

Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot

Mosesatm

There is a semi-retired guy in Bremerton who I trust with my carbs, but he doesn't charge enough.

Last edited:

robert campbell

Arlie/Scott,
This is sad. I saw alot of their carbs on e-bay and they were always very professionally done. Saw some bad ink at times, but the ability to set up an engine and a carb is nearly impossible from far away. So many variables. Timing, camshafts and such. Air leaks...

I need to step into the anodizing process to match their like new restorations. Their carbs were expensive, but to restore to that level of look takes many hours. And I guess the amount of people beating down the door is small.

I do it more as a hobby than anything else. And I get to pick and choose who I help! That way it is not about the money!!

Rob

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Arlie/Scott,
This is sad. I saw a lot of their carbs on e-bay and they were always very professionally done. Saw some bad ink at times, but the ability to set up an engine and a carb is nearly impossible from far away. So many variables. Timing, camshafts and such. Air leaks...

Rob

From my recollections, the key culprit for the bad press is the Autolite 4300 carburetor. Those carbs, have design flaws and coupled with today's low octane fuel with ethanol, it's no surprise that folks are disappointed. Plus we all are spoiled with modern fuel injection cars that idle on cold mornings, even after laying dormant for a month or more.

Mosesatm

<snip>

I need to step into the anodizing process to match their like new restorations. Their carbs were expensive, but to restore to that level of look takes many hours.
<snip>

That's what air cleaners are for!!!