• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 AOD Xmember for 68?

murf104

Anyone have photos or prints of an X-member for an AOD swap into a 68? Any hints or advice? Will the stock dual exhaust "H" pipe clear the AOD. Anyone use a Ron Morris X-member for this swap?

robert campbell

I have an AOD and the Ron Morris cross member. Fits great, but I have a custom exhaust. My gut says it will clear the h pipe.

I just did this swap. Do you have the throttle valve (TV) cabe and brackets yet. You will alos need to madify your linkage arm from the shiter to the tranny. I did mine and it works well with the stock shifter.

You will love the AOD!

Rob

OP
OP
M

murf104

Yes, I have the TV cable (LOKAR). Right now the whole thing is sitting on saw horses in the shop, and after some experimenting it appears that the stock shifter arm on the 68 will, with slight modification, be perfect for the AOD. I have a modified C6 shifter rod that will be used, perhaps more threads will need to be cut? The stroke of the shifter arm needed to be changed just a little bit in order to make the slector correct at each end of its operating range. By bending the angle and returning the bottom part parrellel with the top the actual working length of the arm can be changed and this worked very well in my mock up. Will use that arm in place of the stock arm now that it is the correct length pivot to hole. Needed the position changed by about 3/16 inch plus or minus a hair. The Xmember has me stumped, would like to use the original (with some modification of course) because it is stock appearing and I KNOW that the "H" pipe will not be in the way. The AOD is wider and not sure at this point if the stock "H" pipe will straddle the AOD. Trying to get all of the ducks in a row before starting this project, but it seems some parts can only be figured out with the trans in place. Wish someone else had crossed these bridges before and could let me know where the "surprises" await discovery. Will change the little shifter arm when the transmission is out as well as replacing the plastic bushings in the shifter and replace with the one that I modified that puts the detents in the right place. Still need to count the speedo output shaft gear to see how many teeth are on it. The AOD is from an 89 GT mustang if anyone knows the number of teeth they used on the outputshaft gear on that application. Still up in the air about using the "tube in a tube" driveshaft as opposed to using a one peice shaft and making it the correct length. Also questioning using the late model yoke versus the old style with no "flywheel" like the newer shafts found with the AOD. Any advice or suggestiions are welcome.