• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Instrument panel install

nfrntau

Trying to install an after market instrument panel bezel today and ran into a small problem. I couldn't get the original nut to twist onto the screw post located on the right hand side of the bezel.
It didn't have a nut on it when I got it.
Does anyone know if it was supposed to have a nut and if so what size? My bucket of assorted nuts had nothing that fit. The bezel is already on the car with all the wiring attached so I really don't want to remove it if I don't have to.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Instrument55.jpg
    Instrument55.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 47

franklinair

I never have re-installed those bezel nuts for the instrument cluster. (I do put them on the panel above the glove box)The cluster is such a tight fit, I put the 2 upper & lower screws in, and have never had a problem. (The bezel is secure to the cluster by the screws on the backside.)

Neil

Last edited:

@Holmes

Its probably metric. Take the bezel to the auto store and use there little plastic nut sizer ---- thing --- dosen't sound right. Anyway you will be able to get the correct nut
L

franklinair

Sorry - I don't agree with trying to install that nut, be it metric or SAE. It's virtually non functional. (The bezel is secured to the cluster by the 8 screws on the back, and the cluster is secured to the dash by the four screws - 2 top & 2 bottom.) Twelve fasteners ought to do the trick (without skinning your knuckles and frustrating yourself). I consider that threaded stud no more than a guide pin for putting the cluster into place.

Neil

clubpro

Our family member from Texas is correct. About 15 years ago I learned this lesson the hard way and ended up breaking the stud off. I sent my original to Mr. G's in Ft. Worth Texas and had it rechromed and painted and it came back good as new. I can't say that for everything that I've sent to Mr. G's, but the instrument bezel came back like new. Current cost is $80 plus shipping.

The bezel in question is metric, but I agree with Neil there is no need to try and put a nut on it.

Cheers,

Ron

rvrtrash

I think there is a need for the nut--if you have air conditioning. My vent piece was pushing everything out until I tightened that nut down. If you just have a blank piece in the middle of the dash, it's probably not a big deal.

Steve

franklinair

:smile: All of mine (6) had factory A/C with the center register. Never had a problem leaving the superfluous nut off. But, "to each his own".

Neil

Last edited:
OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

I picked a #5 metric nut up yesterday but havn't had a chance to see if it fits yet, I'll let y'all know how it works out.
Stay tuned