• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Axle Bumper

gazrox

Has anyone seen this before? The centre axle bumper mounting has been closed off with a plate - it looks original, but I have never seen this before. Removal of the plate has revealed the correct mounting plate that is welded to the cross member. I don't believe there is or should be a bumper mounted on the diff housing. I'm thinking that I should have the bumper in place and not a plate - just doesn't seem right.

Attachments

• IMGP1066B.jpg
    IMGP1066B.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 54

Ruppstang

There were two styles of axel bumpers, the push in type and what you have is the base of the bolt on type. The rubber has come off the metal. Marty

OP
OP
gazrox

gazrox

Thanks Marty - much appreciated. Just so people know - if you purchase a complete replacement trunk floor and cross-member, you dont get the option of a bolt on bumper, it only comes with a push-on bumper.

Ruppstang

I think I saw that NPD has the bolt on style. They were mounted with self tapping bolts so all you would have to do is drill the holes. Marty