• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Close up pictures of Deluxe steering wheel grain

mustang.biz

Does anyone have detailed pictures of the steering wheel grain on the 68 deluxe wheel? Preferably an original wheel. I'm looking for depth and length of the grain.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on the proper paint codes for the light and dark browns, I'd like to hear it.

I have a bunch of these wheels in various states of disrepair and I am going to kill some time trying to restore one. :icon_pani

Ruppstang

I just sent ours of to Mustang Masters in FL. It was in pretty rough shape. Mustang Masters and Bill Herdon's Pony Warehouse both have restored ones on Ebay. I have been concerned wih the different wood grain colors for the dash and how that will match the steering wheel. The wood grain on the wheel seems to be darker than the dash and door panels. I have all ready restored the wood grain on the over head console and horn pad center, that's why I just sent the wheel in to see how that comes back before I do any more. I would also like to hear others thoughts on this as well. Marty

admin

Staff member
Administrator
These weren't real wood, correct? They were a plastic wood grain?

If so I'm pretty sure the Mustang deluxe wheel was the same as the 67-78 Cougar XR-7 wheel. (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) Here are pics of a nice original Cougar wheel I sold a while back.

Attachments

• cougar wheel 2 004.jpg
    cougar wheel 2 004.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 55
  • cougar wheel 008 (Large).jpg
    cougar wheel 008 (Large).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 49
  • cougar wheel 006 (Large).jpg
    cougar wheel 006 (Large).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 60
  • cougar wheel 2 016.jpg
    cougar wheel 2 016.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 52
  • cougar wheel 2 012.jpg
    cougar wheel 2 012.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 47
  • cougar wheel 2 011.jpg
    cougar wheel 2 011.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 54
  • cougar wheel 2 010.jpg
    cougar wheel 2 010.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 51
  • cougar wheel 2 007.jpg
    cougar wheel 2 007.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
M

mustang.biz

They are plastic and the same wheel. Those pictures are very helpful, thanks!

Ruppstang

Looks like to me that many that are restored are too dark and the grain too deep by the looks of your wheels. Thanks Marty

OP
OP
M

mustang.biz

Hey 390 I hate to be a pest, but any chance you could try another pic with better focus? That wheel you have is awesome. You might have a macro setting on your camera that does closeups.

Like Marty, I'm surprised at how shallow the grain is. I have a couple of wheels that I thought were worn when in fact they might be much more correct than the restored ones I've seen.

Oh, and you wanna sell that wheel?

390cs68rcode

here are some macro shots. Hope they help. I picked this up on Ebay about 2 months ago for $400. I was tickled when I got it for that price. sorry, it's going on my CS when I get a chance to put it on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• noswheel.jpg
    noswheel.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 161
  • noswheel1.jpg
    noswheel1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 159

Ruppstang

Boy you were very lucky to get a NOS wheel for 400 It costs that to restore one. Thanks for the nice details. Marty