• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Pertronix Coil

franklinair

Will a Pertronix Coil work OK with standard points & condensor(302)?

Neil

robert campbell

Neil,
I would think so. But it does have a difference in ohms of resistance. We need Steve!

Rob

teamlo

Neil,

I have a brand new Pertronix coil (oil filled version, black in color) that I am not using. I bought it but it's a bit too long to fit in the standard '68 coil location. Never used on a running engine. If you're interested, PM me.

Terry

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I've got a new one on my car. I'm going to re-install the points & condenser for troubleshooting purposes. Was just curious if the Pertronix coil is compatible. Otherwise I'll put the original coil back on as well.

Neil

rvrtrash

Neil,
I would think so. But it does have a difference in ohms of resistance. We need Steve!

Rob

There are a lot of variables here. If the resistance in the primary winding is lower in the Pertronix coil, which I believe it is, you will have more amperage going through your points, and if it's significantly lower, it will cause them to pit faster and they may even weld together over time. You may also exceed the rating of your condensor, causing it to fail. The next question is, "Is the Pertronix intended to run off 12V on the primary winding all the time or at 8V or so, like our stock units?" Just an FYI, the coil is basically a transformer and the points and condensor serve the purpose of generating an AC signal on a DC line, to make the transformer work. Long story short, I would GUESS it would work for a period of time, but the service life of your parts would be reduced. How much so, I can't say. If you're looking for a "hotter" spark, I would recommend finding a coil that accomplishes that with a higher winding ratio, rather that lower resistance in the primary winding. Hope that all makes sense.

Steve

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Got it. I'll just use the stock coil, points & condenser for my troubleshooting. Thanks.

Neil