• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What is a '68 GT/CS Worth?

RedGTvert

I love my CS/CJ, but its not worth my left one or the right one.

John

Guys, when you start getting up there in age, they don't work so well any more without medical stimulus, so it may be worth my left one to have a nice '68.5 coupe. Bet it will make it get harder than a 17 year old hard body who wouldn't even give me a second glance.

Plus, they are twins, so I still have another.

nates68

Worth

THESE COMMENTS LEAD ME TO BELIEVE OUR CARS ARE WORTH ONLY WHAT
THE RIGHT OR LEFT PERSON FEELS IN PAYING.

NATES68:grin:

@Holmes

As far as value - I think that a good starting point is NADA average retail. Add or deduct from there. One option that does not get enough attention is disk brakes. To be up front I perfer 302s but would love a 428CJ. Ok so don't beat me up - I can't say what I'd sell for without seeing a car so theroreticly all options being equal this is what I would pay for an unrestored driver (no mecanical work required) disk brake 4spd / auto (NADA):
CJ 428 - 75 (28.3) / 70 (26.5) (Bob I'll pay WHAT YOU SAY! put me on list)
s 390 - 25 (22.8) / 24 (21) (to low)
x 390 - 19 (21.9)/18 (20.1) (loved the black e-bay highway cruser)
j 302 - 19 (21.9) / 18 (20.1) (just noticed they have same NADA price)
c 289 - 15 (20.1) / 14 (18.3) (bias - rather have a 302)
t 200 - 10 (16.4)/ 9 (14.6) (I do have a secret desire to drive a 200 4spd)

The one option I love is a bench seat. If you owned a 68 bench Tu Sabes. I put my numbers down before looking up NADA. Humm.

CougarCJ

As far as value - I think that a good starting point is NADA average retail. Add or deduct from there. One option that does not get enough attention is disk brakes. To be up front I perfer 302s but would love a 428CJ. Ok so don't beat me up - I can't say what I'd sell for without seeing a car so theroreticly all options being equal this is what I would pay for an unrestored driver (no mecanical work required) disk brake 4spd / auto (NADA):
CJ 428 - 75 (28.3) / 70 (26.5) (Bob I'll pay WHAT YOU SAY! put me on list)
s 390 - 25 (22.8) / 24 (21) (to low)
x 390 - 19 (21.9)/18 (20.1) (loved the black e-bay highway cruser)
j 302 - 19 (21.9) / 18 (20.1) (just noticed they have same NADA price)
c 289 - 15 (20.1) / 14 (18.3) (bias - rather have a 302)
t 200 - 10 (16.4)/ 9 (14.6) (I do have a secret desire to drive a 200 4spd)

The one option I love is a bench seat. If you owned a 68 bench Tu Sabes. I put my numbers down before looking up NADA. Humm.

Holmes, you brought up a couple of good points without even realizing. Tu sabes? LOL I read right through that the first time and didn't catch the spanish phrase.

Check Applicable Options and Equipment:
302/230 HP V8 Engine
390/265 HP V8 Engine
390/315 HP V8 Engine
4 Speed Transmission
428/340 HP V8 Engine
428/360 HP CJ V8 Engine
429/360 HP V8 Engine
6 Cylinder Engine
Air Conditioning
Mustang Pony Interior
Ram Air

The above is a C&P from NADA Classic Cars for both the HCS and GT/CS. That information is too general and leads folks to believe some falsehoods.

All 1968 R code 428CJ's are Ram Air. Ram Air was not an option with any other engine in 1968. (Q code, non-ram air engines came out in 1969)

429/360Hp that engine never came in a 1968 Mustang.

4 speed transmission only available factory on V-8's.

Holmes, the disc brake thing is what got me to thinking. NADA incorrectly assumes that all GT/CS's in 1968 received the GT package which I believe included disc brakes.

They also left off the C code 289 engine too. Horsepower ratings mostly incorrect too.

What, no automatics? 3 speed manuals were standard on all but the R code 428CJ.

Mustang Pony interior? Please, not since 1966. Can I get a Deluxe or Sports Woodgrain trim?

This exactly illustrates what I mentioned way early on this thread.
NADA needs help to get it right. I am sure that they strive to get it right, maybe they need some one of us to gently suggest that their "Applicable Options and Equipment" check off boxes aren't as correct and accurate as they could be for any 1968 Mustang let alone the GT/CS and HCS's.

Additionally to value these cars, certain other options add value; tilt-swing steering column, console, convenience control panel, AM/FM or AM/8track stereos, disc brakes, tinted glass, vinyl roof, GT package, locking axle, power steering, cruise control, headrests, tachometer, and clock. And the bench seat.

If I could suggest a change to NADA, it might look something like this:
200-1V/115Hp 6 cylinder engine
289-2V/195Hp V8 engine
302-4V/230HP V8 engine
390-2V/280Hp V8 engine
390-4V/325Hp V8 engine
428CJ/Ram Air 340Hp V8 engine

Automatic transmission.
4 speed transmission.
GT suspension package.
Air conditioning.
Power steering.
Disc brakes.
Deluxe interior.
Deluxe woodgrain interior.
Tachometer.
Console.
Tilt-swing steering column.
Cruise control.
Headrest seats.
Factory AM/FM or AM/8 track stereo.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Excellent, excellent information--and very good points!!!!!

Thank you for posting that information!!!!

We need to "educate" NADA. Perhaps some letters and e-mail to them would help us all around...

Paul.

johnsgottwo

Yup - NADA needs refining

You're right on Cougar. We know that the NADA guide beigns with what they consider a base car and then add or subtract for their listed options. In the case of the 68 Mustang they start with a C289, but are unclear on the transmission choice. They have no deduction for a 3-speed manual nor addition for an automatic.

The option list errors are even more frustrating for me. While you can select several things that were not offered in your year, you cannot get values for many options that were offered and are considered valuable to owners and collectors.

I have searched for another guide to use, but with no luck. any one else in the forum know fo a good classic car value guide that is actually updated regularly?