• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Steering Box advice

Firstmustang

I'm in the process of updating my GT/CS's steering and suspension. I've removed all steering linkage up to the pitman arm and steering box. I have all new parts, i.e. tie rods, control arms, control valve, slave cylinder, springs, sway bar, shocks front and rear.

The reason for replacing all of the steering equipment was that while driving I felt I had excessive play in the wheel, up to a half turn while straight and level (pilot term) as well as most of the rubber gaskets were cracked and in need of some TLC. Most of the car has been updated within the last 5-10 years except the steering and suspension.

My question really revolves around the steering box. I'm at the point of no return, should I go ahead and replace the steering box ($300-$500 part) and rag joint while I'm lying under the car or put it back together and hope that the excessive play in the wheel is cured by the replacement of all the other parts. I'm hesitant to tackle the steering box etc., because my engine is still in the car and there is not too much room for hands and wrenches. I'm very much a novice mechanic so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

CougarCJ

There is a procedure for adjusting the steering box in the shop manual. I would get it rebuilt, though.
Definitely inspect or replace the rag joint. Get a front wheel alignment done by a competent shop that knows vintage cars.

robert campbell

+1 on Scott.
If you have stock exhaust on this car the box will come out easily. Is it an automatic or a manual? If manual you will need to remove the clutch "Z" bar and engine support for the Z bar.

Many dealers offer rebuilt steering boxes. I have done several of them myself. There is a renowned dealer in the Northwest call "Red Head". They specialize in the rebuilding of your stock box or providing you a quality rebuilt one off their shelf. I have used them on some restorations and they are the best of the best. Make sure you keep the tag off your box. This tag is date coded to your car.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Rob

Last edited:
OP
OP
Firstmustang

Firstmustang

I have PS and stock exhaust on my car. So you don't think I'll have to remove my headers or exhaust in order to drop the steering box out?

Thanks for the input, looks like I'll grab some wrenches and take a crack at that steering box.

68 special

I replaced mine with the headers installed. hardest part was getting wrenches on the rag joint bolts working around the brake booster and brake lines.

Unfortunately the "rebuilt" box I got off Ebay was just as bad as the old one.

So, I bought a Borgeson unit, but haven't put it in yet.

Bret

robert campbell

I would have recommended the Borgeson for First Mustang, but he has already bought a lot of stock parts.

Bret,
I have installed about 5 of the Borgeson units. You will not be sorry!!

Rob

OP
OP
Firstmustang

Firstmustang

I ended up pulling the steering box and rag joint out yesterday after work. I had to drop the exhaust in order to work the steering box out, wasn't too bad of a project.

I've seen re-built boxes on CJ Pony Parts for around $350 and new boxes for around $500, and I was planning on giving a call to redheadsteeringgear.com to see about rebuilding my core. Will a Borgeson work for my application or do I need the other Borgeson kit parts??

Thanks.

OP
OP
Firstmustang

Firstmustang

Quick update: Red Head Steering Gear will rebuild my core for $286 within 24 hours!

Thanks for the recommendation Rob.

CougarCJ

Roger Rodes, of Rodes Restorations, told me that he will not accept Borgeson steering boxes as rebuildable cores. Says that the mold for casting was made from a badly worn Ford steering box and they are not good quality. Parts won't fit, they are beyond tolerances.

Mosesatm

That's odd because Borgeson boxes are GM units.

Never mind, the pumps are GM units. Carry on!

robert campbell

Scott,
Good information. I have had to send two Borgeson units back as they had a poor "feel". Your information might be why. They did stand behind them, but it was a bit of a hassle.

Rob

whodat

Stangersite rebuilt mine, but it wasn't overnight
522b4113dd91a778f7eb3ca73f966e99.jpg

Last edited: