• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Paint Code, Blue Bonnet?

hookedtrout

Have a guy looking at purchasing a 67 with this code, wants to know if the color is possibly a Blue Bonnet. I know there was some interest in the B.B. here so I thought I'd see what you guys thought.

65A C 2B 23C 615036 0 1

Cory

Mosesatm

Was the Blue Bonnet offered in '67 or was it only in '68?

68 special

According to the April 05 Mustang Monthly the Blue Bonnet Special was only offered in 1967 and had a DSO of 61 followed by the digits 5160. The color code is left blank.
Hope this helps.

Bret

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=68 special link=board=1;threadid=2145;start=0#msg14519 date=1126888242]
According to the April 05 Mustang Monthly the Blue Bonnet Special was only offered in 1967 and had a DSO of 61 followed by the digits 5160. The color code is left blank.
Hope this helps.

Bret
[/quote]

Thanks Bret, I'll pass the info along.

Cory

Mosesatm

It looks like we have an even bigger mystery now. If the Blue Bonnet code is 61 5160 then what does the 61 5036 represent?

Last edited:
OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Here is what Virgil wrote me back.

P.S. I put in a good word for Jason that if he wants to sell the car if it turns out to be a Bluebonnet let me know as I know someone interested in purchasing a Bluebonnet.

Cory

Yeah, I read that article. That's where I found the "Bluebonnet Special" in the first place. The car I am talking about was (I'm pretty sure) painted that same color blue originally. It was also for sure a special order car. It is a 1967, has a DSO of 61 but is followed by 5036 instead of 5160. I got a VIN report from Marti Auto Works and the option list is very similar to the car featured in the Mustang Monthly article, (Sports Sprint, F70-14 Wide Oval Tires, 3- speed transmission, Rocker Panel Moulding, AM Radio, Tinted Glass, Wheel Covers). I called Vic Lea (one of the guys mentioned in the
article) and he said the car could very well be a bluebonnet special and he would try to determine without a doubt with a source he has in Detroit. At any rate, if it turns out to be a bluebonnet special, I plan to restore it to like new status, if not, I plan to make a resto-mod out of it. We'll see. Thanks for your help!

Virgil

Curtis1213

Lone Star Limited

Hey guys,
I own a Lone Star Limited "blue bonnet special", one of VERY few left. It has a DSO of 615160. However, my car has the letter "C" under paint. If you check the paint codes for 1967, there is no "C" available. Interesting bit of information. Any questions please contact me at turquoisetexan@yahoo.com
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Curtis

Mosesatm

Jason, are you still upside down on the other side of the world?

My wife and I are trying to figure out where to go for our 15th next year and were thinking about that area. We may need to meet up at one of the local car haunts one of these weekends and talk about it.

390cs68rcode

yep still in NZ until 12-28. I would be happy to tell you about NZ, just send me a email or pm and I will make some time when i get back.

rvrtrash

Curtis1213 said:
Hey guys,
I own a Lone Star Limited "blue bonnet special", one of VERY few left. It has a DSO of 615160. However, my car has the letter "C" under paint. If you check the paint codes for 1967, there is no "C" available. Interesting bit of information. Any questions please contact me at turquoisetexan@yahoo.com
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Curtis

My book shows "C" as being used for "Dark Grey Metallic" on T-Birds in '67. Probably doesn't have any bearing, but offered for information anyway.
Steve

Mosesatm

Could be they just randomly picked a code that wasn't used on Mustangs or picked "C" for "Custom" or something similar.

On a related suject, sort of....Since all this work was done by people in a hurry I wonder how many data code plates were punched incorrectly and left on the cars because it would have too much trouble to fix them?

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

In the classicmustang group on Yahoo Virgil that I asked this original question for is now signing as Virgil Blue Bonnet Special so he must have purchased the car. You could go hound him for a sale, I think everything is for sale, you just have to get there.

Cory

Curtis1213

Went to Dallas Mustang today and was somewhat disappointed....they really don't have a clue about specialty Mustangs. Trying to pick up the correct color dash.

I wasn't aware about "Virgil" on yahoo, who claims to have a Bluebonnet Special....I'll try to run him down! Thanks

V

Virgil

My bluebonnet

Hey guys, I just found my name mentioned on this group.

Yes, I did buy that car. There are some interesting things about this car though...

The DSO is 61-5036 not 61-5160 like all the other known Blue Bonnets
My car is a 289 with a 3-speed transmission, NO air. The other cars I know about are autos with A/C.

My car is without a doubt a Blue Bonnet Special Painted Blue, Ford # MX70001297 as per the Deluxe Marti Auto Works report.

My serial number is 180XXX and the others are 202XXX and 203XXX. My car is apparently a very early example. That could explain the different DSO number.

If anyone has any questions, e-mail me at vb7602@hotmail (I tried to subscribe, but I guess hotmail address are banned).

Virgil