• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Head rests

gt bandit

Hi crew

can anyone tell me if Head rests on 68 model mustsangs (especially CS) were a factory option.

I see a few have them on E-bay , if the answer is yes to above can you convert the existing seats or do you need a totally different seat.

mmarsalone

GT,

Yes, headrests were an option in 68'. Be careful on Ebay because many people will list them for 68 and 69. They are different. The 68s I believe have two posts. Your seats can be used. Just make sure you get all of the mounting hardware. I think bbeaty has added the correct headrests to his car. Brian, can you confirm if I'm right.

Thanks,
Mike

HCS@CT

I spoke with BobTeets back when I first got my HCS about head rests. The ones I have are the wide slot type. I think those were put on at the dealership. They did not show up on my Marti report. But there were two types in "68 aside from the really ugly over the back kind and I think those were after market... New pic's in my gallery check em out.

p51

I believe in '68 headrests were an option. In '69 they were standard.

What I've seen is the following:

There were two types of headrests for '68.
(1) Dual post headrests where the posts actually go into the top of the seats and the brackets are installed inside the seat. These are very nice looking.
(2) The other type installed by attaching to the back - I think you attached runners on the back of the seat or something. I personally don't like the looks of these as much. I believe both of these were dealer options.

In '69 they had single post headrest that, again, came out of the top of the seat. The headrests look close to the '68s (#1 above) and the seat itself is identical to the '68. I actually have '69 headrests in my GT/CS since these are more easily found (and not as expensive) and I'm not a stickler for being completely authentic. I added headrests mainly for safety. Personally, I think they're a "must have" safety feature (after front disc brakes).

Note, on ebay sometimes '69 headrests are stated as being '68. Check the posts - '68 only had dual posts (or so I've been led to understand).

Cheers

James

bbeatty

GT,

The dual post headrests were a factory option in 1968, albeit an extremely rare option for some reason. However, IMHO, outside of Marchals, they are one of the sharpest looking options you can add to your car, as well as being an additional safety feature. :pimp:

I’ve only seen three or four 68 Mustangs with the correct headrests although I think Paul Newitt’s car has them. All 1968 Mustang seat frames and the top piece of seat foam were built to accommodate the necessary brackets and posts for the headrests. I have lots of pictures and diagrams if you want me to email them to you. I think the headrests may be a little more common on the 68 Cougars and as far as I know, they are the same.

The true dual post 68 headrests are on Ebay a couple of times a year. Figure on spending $350 for a beat up pair and up to $600 for a nice set if you can find them. :eek:Almost every set I have seen will have broken chrome tubes that the posts slide into and the foam will have some degree of separation from the metal base on the bottom of the headrest. None of the pieces of the 68 headrest pieces are in reproduction at this time.

Good luck!

OP
OP
gt bandit

gt bandit

looks like i will give it a miss, looks like in 2006 it is still a rare option !! especially at those ebay prices. I think it would also be difficult to match my current red interior.

thanks anyway for the info.