• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Dealer Add On Head Rests

RacingFan

I picked up a NOS set of dealer installed headrests for the GT/CS. They are the two post headrests that mount to the back of the seat, utilizing two chrome runners on the back of each bucket with a small black adjustment knob. I have the original box and instructions for the install. ( I will put some pics here if anyone would like to see what the kit looks like). I hadn't seen these installed on any other Mustangs, but the Ford instructions say that they are correct for all passenger cars and trucks for 1967-1968 (Except Ranchero). They look large when they are in the box, but when I put them on the backs of the seats, they look great. Anyone else had any expirience with these things? Seen them installed on other Mustangs? The headrest itself, looking from the front back looks to be about 7 inches tall and extends to almost the width of the seat!

StraightSix

I am soooooo jealous! :eek:

The pre-'70 Mustangs are whiplash city witht the stock seats. It's one of my main concerns with driving the car. However, I don't want to wreck it's originality by putting in different seats, so these would fit the bill perfectly. Do they make reproductions?

-Winston

Have not seen any but I have heard about them. Looking forward to the pics. Where did you find them?

68sunlitgold

RacingFan,
I have seen a couple cars, not any GT/CS's, with headrest and they do look great. They really make the interior look "special". I would, and have been looking, to put them on any of my cars. I attached a pic of how they should be attached (if it helps you).
Doug

Attachments

• headrest.jpg
    headrest.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
R

RacingFan

Doug,

These aren't your normal type headrests. Take a look at the pics below. I will email you and Winston (and whoever else is interested) the complete package so you can take a look at them.

Dave

OP
OP
R

RacingFan

Sorry, couldn't post the install instructions. I will email them to you. Let me know what you guys think, is it worth installing? Thanks.

Dave

Jayscal

Those look great, I only wish I had a set. Being a dealer option, I would defininitely install them, especially for safety.

I only wish someone would make a trunk divider out of strong diamond plate, instead of the thin sheet metal ones that are offered. I would rather have that drop-in gas tank sealed in the trunk in the event of a rear collision.

rjw

I think they look great! And having been hit from behind once, I would think they could come in REAL handy if the unfortunate happens. If you are not going to put them on, I'm sure one of us may be interested in taking them off your hands...

68sunlitgold

Dave,
I am thinking about putting '69 headrest in mine, here is a picture. Has anyone had any experience in putting this type of headrest in? ??? Thanks
Doug

Attachments

• i-1.jpg
    i-1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 19

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I looked at putting the '69 ones in, but then just decided it was easier to recover '69 seats in '68 skins (since they needed them anyway)

They're not as fancy-smancy as RacingFan's ;) but they look good.

One of my 1968 Mustangs (not a GT/CS, but from San Jose) has headrests that appear to be original optional equipment. The car has the deluxe interior (65B) and the headrest has the Ford part number C8AB62611AO 8BKWZ-F220. The plastic trim moulding also has Fomoco on the part. The headrests are one piece moulded plastic and foam. The Mustang is an early 1968 (17M for production date), and the seats do not appear to have been tampered with. I've looked in various parts books and can't find a listing, but I thought this would be an interesting discussion item.

x-codegtcs

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=169;start=0#688 date=1042258172]
Dave,
I am thinking about putting '69 headrest in mine, here is a picture. Has anyone had any experience in putting this type of headrest in? ??? Thanks
Doug
[/quote]

It is really easy. I put them in my 68 Cougar. It is easy to do and only minor hardware transfer is necessary. If you find a complete 69 back you can remove all of the hardware and it will assemle into your 68 no problems.

68sunlitgold

x-codegtcs,
thanks for the reply, I was hoping that I did not have to do any major reconstruction of the seat back, I know that 68 is a bolt on and was hoping the 69 was also. Again thanks
Doug