• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

wanted-1968 Seats

cmacias24

Hello, I was at a junk yard this weekend and saw some 68 seats with headrests for 125 a piece and thought it was too much for seats. What do you guys think. I'm looking for a pair and with a headrest. (blue if avaliable. )

email cmacias24@hotmail.com

68sunlitgold

You did say "$125 a piece"? I think that is alittle high. I have seen just the head rests on ebay go for around $125 (for a pair and including hardware), but I have seen some go higher. The rare part here is the headrests not the seats, they will fit on any 68 seat. Did you ask him how much for just the headrests, he may not know what he has? They are a rare option. Another possiblity is to look for 68 Cougar seats, it seems the headrest option on cougars was taken more on them so make sure you look at 68 cougars too.
Doug

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

well, the ones I saw were out a car and they were the solid wide bar headrests. I know that in 1968 there was some seats that came with headrests and they were the double round bar headrests. I know that if I was to locate the rare double bar headrest that they would cost an arm and a leg but for now I think these will do. So are they over priced. It's the pair of seats with the headrests on them. What do you guys think? that's 250 for the pair.

Calspecialdreamer

Depends how bad you want them. Doesn't sound awful to me. Would you still have to re-cover them? I would just ask his bottom dollar and either give it to him or make him an offer. Around here (Arkansas) that is a fair price.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Those are the '69 seats, which aren't technically correct, but still look good. They aren't really that hard to find so I wouldn't pay any extra for the "rare" factor.

68sunlitgold

cmacia24,
I paid $15 for a pair of 69 headrests (actually I have 2 sets) to include the hardware, the only problem is they do not fit correctly in a 68 seat so I will need to get the backs. That being said I have seen 69 seats on ebay and vintage mustang forum sell for under $50 (yes they needed to be recovered but I planned on doing that anyway). I would not pay $125 a piece ($250 for the pair) for 69 seats and headrests.

And Jon is right that they are not correct for a 68 but when they are in the "down" position you can not tell they are 69 headrests.

Doug

66joej

I'm a little confused about 1968 front seats not being available with headrests. My GTCS came with builtin headrests. I have both the Ford CAC and build sheet and they sat front bucket seats with headrests.

68sunlitgold

66joej,
We are not saying the 68 seats with headrests where not available just a very rare option. .You are one of the lucky ones that have a 68 with headrests.
Doug

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yes, the headrests I was referring to were the ones in the auction posted, which are '69's with the single wide support bar. I was trying to help cmacias24 identify if the seats he was asking about really had '68 factory headrests or were just '69 seats that someone put in a '68 Mustang.

Some nice pics that might help:

http://www.californiaspecial.com/photogallery/album07