• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS Misconceptions

dalorzo_f

Popular car, a lot of anecdotal "facts" get generated.... a couple favourites of mine, not GT/CS specific are "GT Hood" (louvered) or "GT Dash" (meaning a tach to many...).... :wink:

sam

I heard a "fact " that the Mustang was not named after the 4 legged Mustang, but the P 51 Mustang. I hope that's true because I am a WW11 fan of bombers ( B-17, B-25, P-38 and the P-51 and Corsairs). I figure someone on the website would know.

Thanks/Sam

green56

GT/CS Misconception

I heard the same thing years ago that the Mustang was named after the P51 fighter

p51

I heard a "fact " that the Mustang was not named after the 4 legged Mustang, but the P 51 Mustang. I hope that's true because I am a WW11 fan of bombers ( B-17, B-25, P-38 and the P-51 and Corsairs). I figure someone on the website would know.

Thanks/Sam

It's probably a bit of both. This seems like the most plausible theory, given that Najjar was one of the lead designers of the Ford Mustang...

In his book “Mustang Genesis,” author Bob Fria quotes designer John Najjar:

R.H. Bob Maguire, my boss, and I were looking through a list of names for the car. I had been reading about the P-51 Mustang airplane and suggested the name Mustang in remembrance of the P-51, but Bob thought the name as associated with the airplane was too ‘airplaney’ and rejected that idea. I again suggested the same name Mustang, but this time with a horse association because it seemed more romantic. He agreed and we together selected that name right on the spot, and that’s how it got its name.

From “Mustang Genesis: The Creation of the Pony Car” by Robert A. Fria

Of course, the P-51 was originally named for the horse so...

One of the best P-51 movie scenes ever... "Horsepower!"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RszxM_SDMzU

Last edited:

Midnight Special

Excellent and thanks for the clarification !

...The P-51 connection was also pointed out in some detailed Mustang documentaries we'd seen years ago, adding they also felt the "horse" would be better marketing for the original "secretaries car" concept as the Mustang was intended.

All I will add is being around P-51s became my ultimate inspiration...>

Attachments

• _DSC1180.jpg
    _DSC1180.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 21
  • _DSC1187.jpg
    _DSC1187.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 26
  • _DSC0926.jpg
    _DSC0926.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 20

sam

...The P-51 connection was also pointed out in some detailed Mustang documentaries we'd seen years ago, adding they also felt the "horse" would be better marketing for the original "secretaries car" concept as the Mustang was intended.

All I will add is being around P-51s became my ultimate inspiration...>

Tim, great picture with your car and the P-51, I have a picture 0f 2 P-51's above my desk. Great inspiration for sure.
Sam

Midnight Special

Tim, great picture with your car and the P-51, I have a picture 0f 2 P-51's above my desk. Great inspiration for sure.
Sam

...Very nice, Sam :)
The blue car in the earlier post is Renee "PonyGal"'s car. She often works with me here in Grass Valley and Reno to unite these magnificent Mustangs wherever possible ;-)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 24

sam

...Very nice, Sam :)
The blue car in the earlier post is Renee "PonyGal"'s car. She often works with me here in Grass Valley and Reno to unite these magnificent Mustangs wherever possible ;-)

Nothing better than P-51 engine noise ( Rolls Royce). In September we had a B-24, B-17, B-25 and P-51 come for a few days to our local airport. Was great to witness and see them fly. Our previous mayor owned a P-51 several years ago and used to fly over the neighborhood...........what a treat. He's no longer our mayor and I haven't heard or seen his P-51 in years............
Sam