• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Radio Install Question

Gregpet

I bought an original (from what I was told) 1968 Mustang AM Radio off Ebay. It came with the bezel and seems to be as advertised. The problem is when I attempted to install it it seems to be hitting up against the AC duct. The bezel won't sit flush due to the duct forcing the radio to sit at an angle...

See picture, does this look like an original '68 Mustang radio? I found part# 7TPZ 167995 stamped on the side.

Is the radio different in a factory AC car?

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

• DSCF1431.JPG
    DSCF1431.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 32

Ruppstang

Sorry to say that is a 1967 radio. You can tell by the part #7TPZ 167995 the 7 = 67 but a easy way to tell the differance is 67 has chrome push buttons and the 68 has black plastic push buttons. The good news is that they are the same size. There also should be a metal support strap to hold the radio up in the back. There must be a problem with the AC duct. I know it is tough but can you shoot a couple of pictures of that aeria under the dash? Marty

franklinair

I've seen this problem before. The ducting behind the radio settles/sags, interfering with the rear of the radio. You'll have to play with the ducting to get it up and out of the way so as not to interfere with the radio. Also, as Marty said - a metal support strap attaches to the radio housing to support it @ the rear.
If you want a '68 AM radio, I'll be removing mine next month when I re-do the interior (adding an AM/FM).

Neil

OP
OP
Gregpet

Gregpet

Marty/Neil - Thanks so much for your guideance. Yep, it fits. I just wasn't expecting it to be as snug as it was.

Neil - I would love a '68 AM radio. PM me when your ready to remove it and we can work out the details...Thanks!

Attachments

• Installed Radio.jpg
    Installed Radio.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 32