• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

brake booster

imported_tree

Guys. was checking on the classified section on nos parts amd came upon brake booster. they want 175.00 u.s of course .my question to all is .this part is almost 40 years old. do you think that all the rubber gaskets and seals would still be good.i talked to a parts lady and she told me that this is origional part with no box but slight self ware.open to all replies. thanks terry..................

68gt390

Terry;
Don't know about anyone else but, I have always thought that if something sits for a long period of time without being used/lubricated it tends to dry rot or crack. That's been my experience with several cars I had stored for several years while overseas. Carbs, valve cover gaskets etc. Once I started driving them again, had to replace a lot of seals. That's my take on it.
If I'm buying a original piece that contains seals I usually try to find one that's at least been rebuilt with all new seals.

Are they willing to give you a refund if part is found to be defective?

Don

PFSlim

I think good advise from Don on the seals. However, consider this. If it can be rebuilt (and I have no clue if it can), you may be miles ahead instead of buying one from your aftermarket store.

It took us 3 units (on, off, on, off, then on) before we finally found a booster that worked. Not only the install is a pain, but the time involved in bleeding and checking only to find out the booster was bad.

Bottom line is that it is understood that brake boosters (aftermarket) have a bad cloud above them. Several of those on the site have had the same problem.

Just a heads up.

Paul

PB GT/CS

I personally would not take a part that has been sitting for 40 years. The correct parts are available at the popular parts stores as rebuilds. As I remember it, the correct one has the bolt, not the crimp. Paul and I did go through 3, but at least now, we have a good one and can tell you we absolutely know how to bleed brakes. Paul's 11 yr old now as one leg much stronger than the other one from running the brake pedal. It is a good story he likes to tell while at the shows. So, not all problems are bad ones. That gave Zach some ownership to our build.

Brian