CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/27/2018, 05:40 PM   #1
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage
Thumbs up IT'S ALIVE! My '68 HCS is one step closer to being on the road again.

My '68 HCS moved under it's own power today for the first time in more than a decade! It's not road worthy yet, but I backed it out of the side yard and into the garage, where I can hopefully get some real work done on her.

I got the engine running 3 years ago (here's that thread) but then my progress kind of stalled.
  1. Brakes - These still need work. They stop the car, but barely. Certainly they aren't in any condition to head out on the road. I wasn't able to bleed the passenger rear tire, but haven't tried the other 3 wheels yet. Once in the garage I'll have more room to work. Trying to do anything under a car in a gravel side yard is just no fun.
  2. Transmission - I had to add 2 quarts of trans fluid (including one of Trans-X) to get the transmission to catch. But now it seems to be better.
  3. Engine - The tailpipe doesn't smoke nearly as much as when I first started it 3 years ago. But the engine is surging quite a bit on it's own. You can kind of hear it in the video, especially at the end from the exhaust. Not really sure what's going on there.

It's also a little tricky to get the ignition switch to work when it's in park. I'm assuming it's a problem with the neutral safety switch. My C-4 shifter is extremely loose, and when I put it in park it doesn't always start again. I have to jiggle the shifter handle and then the ignition will work.

Anyway, I didn't get a ton of work done on it today, but it does feel really good to have it actually move on it's own power after so many years.

Last edited by admin; 01/27/2018 at 08:25 PM..

admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2018, 08:59 PM   #2
somethingspecial

My Garage
Congrats

Sometimes just getting that first move is all it takes. Keep up the momentum and good work. Mike

Mike Jewell
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2018, 09:38 PM   #3
Ruppstang

My Garage
Congrats! Nothing like getting it running and moving on it's own. The fun runs out fast pushing it. Keep the progress reports coming.
Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2018, 09:47 PM   #4
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
The loose shifter needs new bushings (not a bad job). That may well cure the starting problem by assuring the neutral/safety switch is in the proper position.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2018, 10:28 PM   #5
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Jon,
Hard to tell if it is running bad or not. Did you address the fuel system? Drain the tank? New fuel pump? And of course a fuel filter before the carb.

Want a carb rebuild and a wet test? Send that two barrel to me!! I will dial it in and send it back. Shipping and parts.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2018, 06:40 PM   #6
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

My Garage
I was able to dust off the cob webs a bit today. Brief wash and vacuum. It was out in the driveway for maybe 2 hours and 4 different people stopped by to talk about it. One asking if I wanted to sell. I forgot how often that happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_172059.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	22027   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_180006.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	22028  

Old 01/28/2018, 08:14 PM   #7
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Jon,
Hard to tell if it is running bad or not. Did you address the fuel system? Drain the tank? New fuel pump? And of course a fuel filter before the carb.
Yes, I had drained and cleaned out the tank before, along with a new filter. Pump seems OK for now.

Quote:
Want a carb rebuild and a wet test? Send that two barrel to me!! I will dial it in and send it back. Shipping and parts.

Rob
Thank you Rob. Very generous as always. I may take you up on that offer. I'll send you a PM.

Old 01/28/2018, 08:17 PM   #8
Ruppstang

My Garage
Jon,
What are your plans for the car? May be we can help you with some things.
BTW I see it had the dog dish hub caps because the rims are green. Don't see that very often. I think it is cool.
Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2018, 08:34 PM   #9
Batgirl89

My Garage
Good Job Jon! Its great to see.
-Sheryl & John
Batgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2018, 10:31 PM   #10
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I was able to dust off the cob webs a bit today. Brief wash and vacuum. It was out in the driveway for maybe 2 hours and 4 different people stopped by to talk about it. One asking if I wanted to sell. I forgot how often that happens.
Check out the sunny day!! Raining cats a dogs up here..... And that must be your Bronco in the background??

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2018, 09:16 PM   #11
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
Jon,
What are your plans for the car? May be we can help you with some things.
BTW I see it had the dog dish hub caps because the rims are green. Don't see that very often. I think it is cool.
Marty
Not entirely sure of my ultimate plans for the HCS. Part of what's kept me from working on it is a bit of "big picture paralysis". A full resto is such an enormous job that it's tough to get started. So for now I'm just going to focus on getting it road worthy with my goal to bring it to Fab Fords Forever this April.

Yes, I like the dog dish caps too. I'm going to keep them. So many people replaced them over the years that it's pretty rare to see them at shows now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Check out the sunny day!! Raining cats a dogs up here..... And that must be your Bronco in the background??

Rob
Yeah, it was really rough this weekend working in mid-70's weather. And yes, that's my Bronco. It's in pretty good shape, so makes the Mustang look sad next to it in the garage. But I've put a lot more time and effort into the Bronco over the years. Now it's time for the HCS.

Old 01/29/2018, 09:28 PM   #12
Mosesatm

Lincoln in July?

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2018, 05:41 PM   #13
CALIF GIRL
My Car Details

Way to go Jon!
CALIF GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions