• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Firewall Hole ID

franklinair

Richard; I rechecked my A/C cars: The firewall holes for a NON A/C are as Arlie described.

p51: Be SURE to purchase a copper heater core. And leak check it before installing.

Neil

franklinair

The #1 area (dimpled for non A/C cars) is the location for the Heater vacuum control.

Neil

Attachments

• DSC00384.jpg
    DSC00384.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 34

Ruppstang

Some of the top black circles are for mounting the speed control bracket.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

LH front Apron

LH Front Apron Holes
1 – Shock Tower/Spring Cover
2 – Washer bottle
3 – Wire harness /Washer hoses (#376756 strap)
4 – Fuel line grommet
5 – Rubber Plug (#377901)
6 – Rubber Plug (#376966)
7 – Rubber Plug (#377977)
8 – Rubber Plug (#377901)
9 – PS Hose Strap (289)

Grey squares are PO "additions" that were fixed...

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

And the LH Rear....

LH Rear Apron Holes
2 – Hood Hinge
3 – Rubber Plug (#376966)
4 – Rubber Plug (#??????)
5 – Brake Distribution Block
6 - ???
7 – Speedometer Cable Clip (#???????)
8 – Wiring Harness Clip (barb clip wrapped into harness)
9 - Wire harness/Washer Hose retainer (#376756 strap)
10 - Wire harness/Washer Hose retainer(#376756 strap)
11/12/13 – Clutch Z Bar support (different holes for big block vs small block)
14 – Speedometer cable/E brake cable clip (#381821 metal clip)
15 – Rubber Plug (#378770)
16 – Steering Box

Also one more Wire harness/Washer Hose retainer (#376756 strap) on the rear face of the tower above the brake line.
HTH

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks! Feel free to use it or adapt it elsewhere....

I can't figure out #6 on the rear apron... the hole is on my GTCS but in the same location my San Jose S code convertible and S GT coupe don't have it.... but my Dearborn X code does... it is very clean and looks factory, but not sure why it would be on one and not the others... maybe they got welded up on the two. Thinking a rubber plug...

One more here....

2 – Hood Hinge
3 – Rubber Plug (#376966)
4 – Idler Arm
5 – Brake Line Clip (#370431)
6 – Upper Control Arm (lowered holes in pic, originals welded up)
7 – Starter Solenoid
8 - Wiring Harness “D” clip (#382184)
9 – Battery Tray (J clip and bolt)378680 J clip on tray, 378178 Bolt w/Washer)
10 – Brake line and grommet
11- TBD - May vary with disc/drum brakes
12 – TBD - May vary with disc/drum brakes
13 – TBD - May vary with disc/drum brakes
14 – Bumper arms
15 – Not used, probably indexing hole for fabrication jig
16 - Rubber Plug (#376966)
17 – Dimples for AC canister
18 - ? Dimples for…
19 - ? Dimples for…

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

... and since I found this shot too, one more for good measure...

2 – Washer Bottle
3 – Wire harness /Washer hoses (#376756 strap)
4 – Fuel line / Grommett
5 – Bumper Arms (2 palces, one shown)
6 - ???
7 – Rubber Plug (#376966)
8 - Not used, probably indexing hole for fabrication jig
9 - Upper Control Arm (lowered holes in pic, originals welded up)
10 – PS hose strap (289)
11 – Fuel Line Clip (#354663)
12 - TBD - May vary with disc/drum brakes
13 - TBD - May vary with disc/drum brakes
14 - TBD - May vary with disc/drum brakes
15 - Brake Line Clip (#370431)
16 – Steering Box
17 – PS Ram Bracket
18 – Hood Hinges
19 - Rubber Plug (#376966)
20 - Wire Harness /Washer hoses (#376756 strap)
21 – Wiring Harness Clip (barb clip wrapped into harness)
22 – Brake Distribution Block
23 - ???
24 - Rubber Plug (#376966)
25 - Rubber Plug (#??????)

Maybe next week the radiator support!!!:smile:

J_Speegle

Thanks! Feel free to use it or adapt it elsewhere....

I can't figure out #6 on the rear apron... the hole is on my GTCS but in the same location my San Jose S code convertible and S GT coupe don't have it.... but my Dearborn X code does... it is very clean and looks factory, but not sure why it would be on one and not the others... maybe they got welded up on the two. Thinking a rubber plug...

Yes normally a rubber plug that often gets (on the wheel side) covered/hidden with sound deadener.

Likely there for the same reason the one on the passenger rear inner panel (your number 23 in that picture) is there ;)

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks Jeff, on that note I am thinking all of the plugs were installed from the outside, better water protection, which was the point, not looks in the engine bay.

Would that be correct....???

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Just learned something new and an item I never noticed before.... on the '67 convertibles the power top wiring feed was routed from the LH side of the firewall. Not the RH as on '65, '66 and '68. If you look at the pic of the LH rear apron you'll see a rectangular flat spot with a dimple dead center, just to the outside of the washer/speedo/clutch/main harness holes. A 1.25" hole was drilled here and the feed ran along the main harness, hand taped on the line....

Just an item I found interesting as I'm continuing the work on the convertible top book and yet another new detail to document... amazing, to me, that I've been doing this research on and off for almost a decade... on only the differences in 65-68 convertible tops and systems.... and its still "in process"... every new small item like this is hours to document in writing... then backcheck... some day it may be done...

J_Speegle

Thanks Jeff, on that note I am thinking all of the plugs were installed from the outside, better water protection, which was the point, not looks in the engine bay.

Would that be correct....???

Looking at 68 San Jose cars all four (or more) of those plugs for the unused holes have the plugs installed from the wheel side into the engine compartment as you thought

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

In doing a bit more work on "the book" I think 19 may be for the convertible top junction block. Not GT/CS related, for sure, but wondering if anyone may be able to confirm...

???

19 - Convertible Top Feed Junction Block

whodat

A under hood bolt guide would be great too. What the bolt looks like as to where it goes and what
it's for.

franklinair

I think an AMK catalog would have those listings for under hood hardware (nuts/bolts/etc.)

Neil

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

And that will be nother days project. I am working on my convertible top "bible" (a far a more tedious and time consuming effort than one would imagine, 4 hours today just documenting the solenoid ar and breaker/fusible link difernces from '65-68...multiply that by all the other aprts and I get 10 year in and still the drafdt is "almost done"...).

I guess you could start with the 289 GT/CS, most common (or maybe the 302), and then you drift into the 302 vs the 390 vs the 428... it spins out really, relaly fast, not a simple task... attached is an Excel I srated long ago, for my 390 convertible. Another never-ending-tale type event... it lists more them bolt (which will be the next step, what paint/color/finish..). I copied it and started a GT/Cs but it is woefully incomplete.

There is a link I saw a while ago on the Concours forum to an incredibly impressive laisitng of bolts and locations, can't find it right now but if you go looking there you may find it. Not sure if it covers year/plant/time as the matrix gets large fast...

if anyone want to add info for the spread sheet, feel free to provide it and I'll update the masters... or take it copy it, morph it and make something better...