• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Storage in enclosed trailer question

somethingspecial

Storage Question.

During it’s down time, my Concours GT/CS lives in an enclosed car trailer. (No garage to keep it in) We have average temperature ranges year round from 30 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I keep the car unchained and covered, but I do have problems sometimes from surface rust on un-protected parts, i.e. hood hinges and springs, rear leaf springs, etc. I try to wipe them with WD-40 before storage, but still have some problems just from the moisture in the air, Condensation.

Does anyone know how to reduce this problem? I was thinking about putting buckets of saw dust inside the trailer to try to pull moisture away from the car. Your feed back please.

RU_SPCL2

Thank you, after looking at this option, it may be just what I am looking for. Different from others I have seen, which I feel wouldn't work. Mike

If you are thinking of using the bag inside the trailer (presumably both for security and physical damage avoidance) it may be a bit challenging depending on the freedom of interior access when the car is inside. I would imagine that zipping the bag requires full walk around access.

The ad mentions that a desiccant container is included to pull moisture from within the bag. This is probably no different than the off-the-shelf products that can be purchased from most marine or RV supply stores, so I wouldn't rely on this as the main criteria for purchasing the bag. I would examine the material that the bag is made of both outside and inside to determine if it will provide an effective barrier against interior condensation.

The issue of condensation (and hence a source of rust issues) is a fairly common one in the marine environment. The key to minimizing the problem is to keep air circulating continuously while using some form of de-humidification. On my boat I leave a forward hatch and a side vent window open slightly, while using a small air circulating device that generates just enough heat to keep the moisture level low enough to prevent mold and/or mildew from forming. Rust is a little less of an issue as most metal in the marine environment is stainless steel, galvanized steel, brass or bronze, but the principle is still applicable.

Here's the device I use:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50668&classNum=50670#.UbpiGue1GSo

You might want to try this first without the bag to see how well it does. There seem to be a bunch of folks writing reviews claiming to use this successfully to get rid of moisture problems in storage lockers, gun safes and car interiors.

Best of luck.

whodat

Curious about the size of your trailer. Thinking of getting a trailer myself.

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

It is a 24 foot Wells Cargo MotorTrac MT2424-1000. Ramp load, bumper pull, with tongue, it is about 27 feet overall. It has a side door on drivers side for easy in/out through drivers door of car. The Mustang sits to low in trailer to open door, so I put 2x12 runners in the wheel tracks to drive the car onto to raise it up to clear the access door on trailer. Car door opens fully this way. I capped the 2x12s with aluminum diamond plate. The 24 foot box allows me room for pop up tents, a tool box, spare tire, cleaning supplies, signs, jacks, etc. still leaving room in front and rear of car for chains and binders.

I set the car where I needed it to line up with the side door, then made wheel stops to bolt onto the runners, through the floor of the trailer. This allows you to drive the car into the trailer until it hits the stops, and the car will always be in the right spot to chain down. This also positions the car center over the axles of the trailer. Better ride.

robert campbell

poor mans dehumidifier. 3 pound coffee can full of charcoal briquettes. works very well

A fan that moves the air even without heat does wonders. I use one in my semi-heated garage all the time. Keeps moisture at bay even at low temps.

Never open the trailer after a long cold spell. My garage with its cement floors would "keep the cold" in very well after a week in the 20's. I opened it one day after a long cold spell to allow some 45 degree "heat" in before I got my garage heater..... It created a perfect storm of condensation. surface rust everywhere! It was amazing to watch. Chrome Cragers on my lift 6 feet in the air. Dripping with water!!