• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 side mirror question

bassman2

I'm in the process of restoring 2 1968 california specials -

One car has a standard rectangular chrome mirror that I've seen on other specials.

The other car has a "sport mirror" (aerodynamic rounded body color mirror) on driver and passenger side - They look original and there is no evidence of them being replaced - the car still has original paint etc. Drivers side was remote controlled.

Were these mirrors original or NOT?

68 special

I'm pretty sure the "sport mirrors" were '69 and up. '67 & '68 remote and standard are chrome. The '67 remote is different than '68 tho. it has a teardrop remote knob and the '68 has a ball type knob.

Bret

case12

The 68 had the rectangular mirror. The sport mirror came out a year later (I will check the facts on that to be sure), and could be a dealer installed option for both sides. It would be very possible for a CS to have these installed by a dealer for a car on the lot or brought in - just my subjective opinion. Casey

Ruppstang

The standard mirror was the rectangular one with out inside control. The only optional mirrors were chrome as Bret described. It is possible a dealer installed sport mirrors in 69 but that would still be considerd incorrect by the Mustang Club of America rules.
Marty MCA 38812

Doug

Speaking of mirrors - what would be the correct passenger side mirror be? I have the remote driver side and have thought of adding a passengers side.

Thanks - Doug

robert campbell

Doug,
I have often wondered what passenger side mirror was proper.

Casey,
Great answer! We have 69 sport mirrors on our 67 Fastback. They look great! They were added around 1975. We love the look on this car as it is a bit of an extreme custom. For those wanting to see, it is in our gallery and of course in our new book.

Rob

J_Speegle

Speaking of mirrors - what would be the correct passenger side mirror be? I have the remote driver side and have thought of adding a passengers side.

Thanks - Doug

Depends on what drivers side mirror you have.

General answer would be one that matches the drivers side.

Doug

Depends on what drivers side mirror you have.

General answer would be one that matches the drivers side.

Jeff - the question that I have, were passenger mirrors available and is general use on 68 Mustangs? I don’t recall seeing a lot of them. I guess that it could have been a dealer option. Do you recall seeing a Marti report with them? BTW I have the square remote.

Doug

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Thank you guys for all the replies!

I will take some pictures so you can see the mirrors and the "evidence" of what looks like a possible dealer installed option - This car hasn't been restored or painted as far as I can tell - and I'm slowly taking it apart.

robert campbell

Doug has framed the same question I have been thinking about. To my knowledge there are no "remote operated" right side mirrors. So I guess you would get a standard mirror for that year. I think this is true for 1967. So my guess is that it does not matter what mirror is on the drivers side. There was only one mirror for the passenger side.

I also agree with Doug. I have seen few 68 Mustangs whether they are GT/CS cars or not, with a right side mirror.

Anyone got a right side mirror that is stock to the best of their knowledge?

Rob

franklinair

The '68 outside mirrors were the chrome rectangular. Both sides look identical. The driver's outside could be ordered as a remote, and as stated previously- the remote mirror knob for a '68 is round ball tip ('67's are a tapered type tip).

Neil

Doug

The '68 outside mirrors were the chrome rectangular. Both sides look identical. The driver's outside could be ordered as a remote, and as stated previously- the remote mirror knob for a '68 is round ball tip ('67's are a tapered type tip).

Neil

So I would have to assume that they make a passanger mirror that looks like the drivers side?

I just wonder why I have not seen to many on the 68 cars

franklinair

The non remote mirror will fit correctly on the left OR right. Just measure the location of the mounting screw holes on the driver's door, and duplicate on the passenger door.

Neil

case12

OK. I got the time to look it up in the 1968 catalogue. Under "Performance Equipment" one could order "Mirror, Racing Type, Exterior" as a dealer installed option only. Under "Comfort/Convenience Equipment", one could order "Mirrors - Left-Hand Remote" as a Regular Production Option (RPO, meaning from the factory), and one could order "Mirrors - Right-Hand - To Match L.H. remote" as a dealer installed option only. Casey

robert campbell

Tim's thread "Norcal Outing" shows a beautiful 1968 Fastback with a right side non-remote mirror.

Rob

nfrntau

I picked up a right hand side convex mirror from Ron (Clubpro). It looks just like my drivers side (non-remote) and works perfectly.
I was having mirror issues without it.

Ruppstang

Thats right Casey. I have installed them on the RH side they look nice but are so small the are not much help. probably why you don't see it that often. Marty MCA 38812

Midnight Special

Tim's thread "Norcal Outing" shows a beautiful 1968 Fastback with a right side non-remote mirror.

Rob

My C-code has one as well. 'Looks to be original & the same vintage as the driver's side, but I can't swear to it...

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 31