• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Is there a way to know the stripe color?

Ruppstang

Is there a way to find out what the original stripe color was? Our HCS is Brittney Blue so it could have had either a black or white stripe. I has been repainted and has a white stripe. The interior color is Black so I thought it may have had a black stripe.
Would it be found on the build sheet?
Marty

somethingspecial

Of the 13 Q code Brittany Blue cars in the Online Registry, all but two had white stripes, regardless of interior color. The two black stripe cars did have black interior. When you disassemble the car, the three places to look are on the end of the front fender between the fender extension (head light bucket), the inside of the fenders/doors for traces of stripe wrap around, and under the side scoop grilles. The stripes were installed on the side scoops before the SS grille was pop rivoted in, so if repainted, hopefully the painter did not remove the grilles and there will still be evidence of the stripe under the grille.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks Mike,
I have checked for tape wrap around in most of the places. One scoop is missing and the grill is out of the other and it was painted. Hopefully when we do the stripping we will find traces of the original stripe some where. The repaint did a good job of removing most of the old stripe even under things.
I still am surprised that it does not list the color on the Marti report or the build sheet. It had to be on the dealer order. Interestingly my other HCS had the paint stripe option and on the Marti report it is listed white paint stripe.

franklinair

IIRC, the paint stripe option ("Accent Stripe") was the thin painted stripe that was applied to the beltline contour along the fenders & doors. (Listed as an option, $13.90) That would have to have been specified on the order & build sheets, and logically in the Marti Report. The accent stripe was painted versus the CS tape striping.

Neil

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks Mike,
I have checked for tape wrap around in most of the places. One scoop is missing and the grill is out of the other and it was painted. Hopefully when we do the stripping we will find traces of the original stripe some where. The repaint did a good job of removing most of the old stripe even under things.
I still am surprised that it does not list the color on the Marti report or the build sheet. It had to be on the dealer order. Interestingly my other HCS had the paint stripe option and on the Marti report it is listed white paint stripe.

Yes, my point was the color was called out on that Accent stripe but not on the GTCS option.

dalorzo_f

Beleive there was a standard color match, I think I recall seeing a list some time ago that listed them, and it would only be called out if an optional alternate was used?

A review of the Marti's here might find some noting a stripe color which would point to that as a possibility? As build sheets for San Jose are pretty rare hard to determine, but maybe only noted there?

dalorzo_f

Found the reference, an old booklet "68 Ford Mustang Facts" compiled by the Editors of Mustang Monthly Magazine, no publishing or copyright date.

It notes the following "recommended" accent colors, which may align to standard GT/CS stripes

Black stripe with colors = I, M, N, O, T (notes for M, Wim White, a Gold stripe was used with saddle and nugget gold interiors and only with black interiors on Candy Red cars)

White stripe with colors = A, B, D, F, Q, R, T, U, X (notes Gold stripe used with Raven Black and Highland Green with black, saddle, parchment and nugget gold interiors, gold strip used with Royal Maroon with black or parchment interiors)

Red stripe with colors = M and N (with red interior)

Blue stripe with colors = M and N (with blue interior)

Not sure if its accurate, from a Ford doc or compiled from elsewhere, no mention of a reference.

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks for the help.
In Paul Newitt's book it lists the possible colors of Stripes with the exterior colors. With Q code Brittany blue it list white and black stripes. I may have to contact Kevin Marti to see is the color choice is on the order or build sheet.
Marty

dalorzo_f

Did not have that one handy, at the shop with the painter for some final detailing issues on the EXP-to-be... be interesting to compare the two lists...

franklinair

Mike's data shows 11 of 13 Brittany Blue cars with white stripes. I'd favor white, based on the statistics.

Neil

J_Speegle

Details like the color of the stripes are not covered in the buildsheet since the paint and stripes would have been completed during the first half of the build before the buildsheet came into use for the build (other than making tags and placing VINS on the body) If San Jose had used buck tags in 68 then we might have had this info :(

Just a thought

Now looking at the approx 160 Marti reports from Cal Spec I have I found 14 of those with the stripe color called out (likely accent stripes) and one with the hood black out but no Calif Special stripe colors described/included in the report

Mosesatm

Marty,
If you are going to keep the car you may want to go with the color you like best.

My unsolicited personal opinion on what looks good with Brittany Blue is black stripes only with a black top, otherwise white stripes. Either is outstanding.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Dad like the white but we will make them black if we evidence there of black stripes.
Marty