• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Cobra Update

PFSlim

As many of you know, our project after completing our GT/CS restoration was to build our brother-in-law a Factory Five Cobra. We started this project in November and are making good progress.

The engine he ordered was a Ford crate racing (302) to push 345 HP. We made our trip to the dyno a few weekends ago and the engine performed well at 347 HP. We brought the engine back and installed in the frame for a test fit. The engine is out now waiting a few clutch parts. Our goal is to have a running "go cart" (without body) for his birthday on May 28th.

The last photo is the test fit of the body to the frame. Soon, the body will go to the paint shop. My brother and brother-in-law have been spending time on the body to fix any rough edges and to round the edges in the wheel wells. This provides a more finished look when painted.

My job has been to do the wiring. It has an I-Squared System in it and an MSD. We are very close to sticking the engine back in and trying out the final portions of the wiring system.

Paul

Attachments

• Photo_050507_002.JPG
    Photo_050507_002.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo_050507_005.JPG
    Photo_050507_005.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 36
  • tcobra8.JPG
    tcobra8.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 36

BroadwayBlue

So Paul, did you draw the short straw to get stuck with the wiring?

As much as I am a technical person I would think a car's wiring is the one thing I wouldn't want to tackle!

Good Luck!

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Rich

I think being the youngest had something to do with it. Either that, or I missed a meeting during the plan-build process.

The wiring is a pain. The I-Squared system is a good system, however a lot more difficult to figure out compared to the GT/CS system. You receive two boxes (Master Controller and Power Controller) and just wires as part of the kit. My brother-in-law has a kill switch and several breakers wired into the system as well as a "tip-over" shut off. Thus complicating matters even more.

So.... Hopefully it works when we turn the key and he gets his ride for his birthday.

Paul

case12

A beauty! Would you build one for me? I have seen one with a Viper V10 and it barely can stay on the pavement - if it had wings I think it would have enough power to lift off. Is your son helping with this one? Casey

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

No unmarried sisters. Sorry. Zach (my son) is helping. Not as much as we would like but he is still there for the big days. He attended the Dyno run with us and has worked on the peddle box assy, helping to remove and install body for test fit, that kind of stuff.

To me, it is the perfect fit (engine wise) for this car. My brothers 428 is quite of bit of HP for the weight of the car and makes scary HP. This will be a much better "fun" car to drive around in.

I will keep you posted.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00288.jpg
    DSC00288.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

We installed the 347HP 302 last night (complete with transmission). The engine fired and ran. We are attempting to have the cobra ready for a "go-cart ride" for my brother-in-laws birthday on this Sunday. I think we may just make it.

Hopefully I can get some pictures of his drive. Then the body will head to the body shop for final work and paint.

Paul

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Well, we made it. My brother-in-law wanted to drive his Factory Five Cobra for his 60th birthday. On Sat afternoon, he was out and about. Engine runs great and sounds even better.

Paul

Attachments

• Photo_052607_001.JPG
    Photo_052607_001.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 35
  • Photo_052607_002.JPG
    Photo_052607_002.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Photo_052607_003.JPG
    Photo_052607_003.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 28

rvrtrash

When I was a kid, a neighbor had a go-cart, but it didn't look anything like that. :grin: I like it!

Steve

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

We are having a great time building it. As stated earlier, our next step is to get the entire car (the body has been installed) to the painter for final fitting of the doors, hood, and decklid. Then, we will separate the body and bring back the go-cart. We can start installing panels for the final time, laying carpet, finishing the dash, installing seats, etc. The painter will get the body ready for installation.

Paul