• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mailer: What would you like to ask GT/CS Owners?

P

PNewitt

I'm finishing up the GT/CS mailer to send out to over 1,000 members.

Since I'm doing this, I'm asking a few questions to answer a few production questions I've always wondered about. Here are a few (no need to answer them here--wait until you get your mailer ASAP).

What I need to know is if there are any other similar type questions that I should ask members. Did I leave anything out?? Suggestions??
Thanks... Paul.

---below are sample questions only for the mailer----do not answer------

--------------------------------------

-- Interior Mirror (mounted on windshield) is the handle for day/night moved foward-backward, OR side-to-side?? (we, I mean, Bob Teets just told me this one)...

--Is there a (heavy duty) signal flasher bracket mounted on the dash rail, just inside the ash tray? (remove ash tray, and look behind or just to the right behind the tray’s location.

--Any markings by rubber stamps? These are usually located under the hood, on the top of the firewall, the inside area of the headlight bucket, etc. Please list the actual name/word, and the exact location (if possible).

--Fog Lights: Marchal / Lucas / Nothing (if Lucas, are they mounted properly on grill “sill” with the proper bolts, square washers and pedistals?) Do you have a rubber washer mounted at the base of the pedistal?

--Rear Reflector: Inset with body-colored trim / Chrome one-piece type (also used on Cougars--sticks out).

--Interior Pads: Do you have the interior-colored dash pad that runs across the dash, just above the radio? YES NO

--Do you have the (inner) padded windshield pillar pieces? YES NO

--Do you have a small rubber piece on the far left and right attachments of the front bumper? (next to the front side marker):

--Do you have the “witness line” visible on the top and side of the side scoops? This is about 1/4” back from the face of the scoop. it’s a casting line left on the side scoop.

--HCS Owners Only: Is the side scoop emblem--and the stripe piece on the scoop ONE piece? or--is the HCS emblem mounted on top of the side scoop stripe piece? Is the shield emblem offset 3/8” forward from center?

--Rear Valance: Is yours stock, or a GT Valance (with exhaust cutouts?).

--Antenna Base (original type, is still on car) Round or Square

--Vinyl Top? State Color, including paisley; or if “spray on type”.

--Bumper Guards, Front, and/or rear?

--Trunk Mat Type: Speckled or plaid ( those original to car only). Plastic protector strip on which side of the wheelwell seam? Any plastic “luggage protection” wrap on one or both of the trunk lid tension springs?

--Any car show awards?

--------- AND.....

1. (Optional): Age/ Occupation/ Other Hobbies

2. How you drive your GT/CS: Hard/ Moderate / Mild / Cruising

3. How is your GT/CS used? Daily Driver / “Sunday Only” / Street / Autocross-Racing / Concours Car Shows & Mustang Club Events.

4. Is your GT/CS currently being restored? Ground Up / while being driven

5. Original Dealership car was sold:
Number of previous Owners (only if you happen to know):

6. Ownership (current owner) in years:

7. Mileage at Purchase--and current Mileage(as close as possible, some odometers may have flipped over, and/or are broken):

8. Modifications -- Engine / Trans / Suspnesion / Interior / Other :

9. Repainted? Same Color? Explain. Original color of stripes, or different?

10. Dealer Options added (either at original purchase, or added by owner(s):

11. Factory Options (i.e. GT Equip Group, Wheels, Posi rear End & ratio; etc.):
(in dash Tach, clock, vinyl top, Air Conditioning, Tinted Windows, Tilt Wheel, Remote Mirror, Convenience Control, Radio (am, or AM/FM, or AM-8-track?)

12. Shelby Performance Items? “Vintage 1968” performance items? Currently available Intake-carb-headers, etc? Please list.

13. Wheels currently on your GT/CS (stock rally wheels, or hubcaps, or custom wheels)?

14. Estimated condition of your GT/CS (1= poor condition, up to 10= Concours) Has your GT/CS ever been appraised? (revealing value not required)

15. Any other items you wish to add, and/or customizing, such as custom paint or body work.

--- do not answer -----

thanks, Paul N.
(sorry--(there was) duplicate stuff here...oh! the failings of "cut and paste")

Last edited:

rvrtrash

Wow, I thought I had deja vu or had lost my place in reading there for a minute. :grin:

Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

that can happen with raw data.....LOL!

you got any electrical questions? I guess I should ask who has sequential taillights, and who's using LED bulbs, too.

Paul N.

BroadwayBlue

:grin: Glad it wasn't just me.
I kept saying "damn I lost my place again" :grin:

Paul,
On the first section are you asking this only for things that we believe are original to the car or the current state of the car?

For example:
-- Fog Lights: Marchal / Lucas / Nothing Do you have a rubber washer mounted at the base of the pedistal?

For this, my 289 CS didn't have the correct posts for the Lucas lights. It had the Shelby square posts. I ordered a set of correct posts from Bob Teets.
So mine will have the rubber washer but because I added it.
So would I answer yes to this?

A lot of the questions seem to be items that may have been changed over the years.

Antenna is another. I have a square base but don't know if that was original or replaced at some point. I'm assuming replaced.

Just not sure what you plan on doing with the info and want to provide you with what you need. Thanks!

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Of course, it would be preferable that I'd get original info on the cars, but I can't--through no fault of (perhaps many) owners, and almost 40 years.

What this will be is a stastical average--with a lot of "analyzing" and best guesses, and a lot of my own data saavy from over 20 years of seeing responses.

It's not that I discount anything, I just interpret it. If someone today has square bases on their Lucas lights, I know that that wasn't factory, nor was it a dealer retrofit. I bought a set of Lucas Square eights for my own CS back in 1974, and bolted them on. Today, they have the same "settled" and "stressed" look as if it was original....so, I work on the answers as all kinds of data that I'll interpret. I just appreciate those who take the time to answer everything as best that they can.

The inside mirror data will be cool to see, because no one (yet) knows when they made the production switch from one type to the next. THAT kind of data will be of interest to the MCA rules folks.

One can't take any of the info I'm asking as literal, exact info. I use it to figure out other things, that will be revealed in the book.

For instance, Little Red was airshipped to Dearborn in August, 1967. Shelby American left LAX the same month. It looked like Little Red was going to be something worth sending to Michigan, huh?? It's like puzzle pieces. Every piece helps.

Thanks!
Paul N.

BroadwayBlue

Thanks Paul! That helps!!

One other thought. I would be interested in the current condition of the cars in the registry.

Either a scale of 1-5 that many of us are used to.
Or phrases - needs restoration, restored, concours, etc ...

I'd would just hope that people are honest in their answers.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I think that question #14 does that...or was it 11 plus three down, and four to the side? LOL...

Paul.

clubpro

Antenna Question

Paul,

My car has a rear mounted antenna and I would like to know how many have a rear mounted antenna. Of all of the cars that were at Mike's BBQ none of them had a rear mounted antenna. I know that it is common on the Shelbys especially the convertibles, I'm just curious how many GT/CS came like mine.

Thanks!

Ron

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Paul,

My car has a rear mounted antenna and I would like to know how many have a rear mounted antenna. Of all of the cars that were at Mike's BBQ none of them had a rear mounted antenna. I know that it is common on the Shelbys especially the convertibles, I'm just curious how many GT/CS came like mine.

Thanks!

Ron

Great idea! Absolutely!
See? when my head is packed with too much and not enough "RAM" in my brain, I forget stuff like this...

Thanks, Ron!

Paul N.

rvrtrash

that can happen with raw data.....LOL!

you got any electrical questions? I guess I should ask who has sequential taillights, and who's using LED bulbs, too.

Paul N.

I can't think of any electrical questions buy might make a suggestion. Since a lot of the people you're mailing to might not visit this site, you may want to include sample pictures along with the questions. How many people are going to know the difference between a standard and heavy duty flasher bracket, as an example.

Steve (Well, I guess it was kind of electrical connected)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Since a lot of the people you're mailing to might not visit this site....
Steve

thanks, Steve for the suggestion...

I'll be sure to do a screen capture of this site's home page--and a real hard sell for folks to come here once they see it in the mailer.

Who knows what will happen then....uh oh!!

thanks!

Paul N.

somethingspecial

Interior color combination.

This question nagged me for some time on mine. It showed standard Ivy Gold, and several examples I saw showed Dark green carpet and dash pad. The headliners have been kind of a saddle, where mine was a dark green. The metal parts were painted a light Ivy Gold, but I found evidence mine was painted a Medium Ivy Gold. It would be interesting how many different color combination interiors there are that deviate from the original design, Before leaving the factory.

Seat Belts. Color cooridnated or black? Shoulder Belts?

Mike

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hey Rob,

Yes, I'll be doing that. I once posted a list of cars per state on these boards.

I'll be including a lot of stastical data in the book. Everyone will see the numbers and realize just how unique each and every GT/CS really is! (especially as survivors!).

..and thanks, Mike for the interior suggestion.

Paul N.

case12

Is there original paper work -

dealer invoice
window sticker
warranty cards
build sheets
manual (not repo)
safety booklet

Casey

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Casey...

And I'll ask if anyone out there has a an original "space saver tire" and air canister. That was new for '68.

I might as well ask if there were any "freebee" factory items left in the car--like money under the carpet, and funny drawings, coffee or cola cups, etc...

I'll take any strange stories, too--if they're fit to print! LOL!!

Paul N.

hicountrybob

Thanks, Casey...

And I'll ask if anyone out there has a an original "space saver tire" and air canister. That was new for '68.

I might as well ask if there were any "freebee" factory items left in the car--like money under the carpet, and funny drawings, coffee or cola cups, etc...

I'll take any strange stories, too--if they're fit to print! LOL!!

Paul N.
Paul, Boy, a spacer in '68 is a new one on me. I wonder if this should be checked out in some Ford lit. or with a '68 MCA judge, etc. I know that these savers are not listed in my "Salesman Facts and Specification" book dated April 29, 1968. Some time ago, I sent you, on full sheets, a copy of the '68 Mustang pages from this 48 page booklet and this item is not listed. What's up??? Do you have any stuff on this issue in '68 Mustangs already? Let us know, please. Thanks, Bob here.

rvrtrash

In later Mustangs, the space saver spare was only offered with a fastback with fold down rear seat, or a Boss regardless of the seat. Would a coupe like our CS's even have had the option of having one?

Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

In later Mustangs, the space saver spare was only offered with a fastback with fold down rear seat, or a Boss regardless of the seat. Would a coupe like our CS's even have had the option of having one?

Steve

I remember "reading somewhere" about the 68's getting the space saver. I think it was in a 1968 Motor Trend "what's new for '68" issue.

But--like the 427, Ford could have changed their minds by production time, and, instead, used in '69, and/or for use in the '68 Fastback, and Shelby.

Since I have this great resource of so many owners, I'd like to present the question, and see what happens. Perhaps nothing, but it will help us know what it had or didn't have. I'll also check the options lists that I have.

Let me also say that I appreciate (all of) you taking the time to answer these questions, when they arrive in your mail.

Paul N.