• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT or not a GT GT/CS

bindiman99

This is to anyone who can help me with a question I have been asking myself since I got my Ford CAC report back. It says my car came with heavy duty susp. and wide oval wsw tires and tinted glass and so on but it has a 289 2v and I think the gt was only on the 302 and larger motors. So is mine just a reg california special with all the gt equipment except a motor that wasnt available yet or what???????

classicsguy

You are right, the GT option was only available for the 302 and larger engines in other words J,S or R code cars were the only ones that can have the GT option. You might even find an S-code 390ci car WITHOUT the GT option. This equipment ( GT ) was a separate option. The 289 C-code cannot be a factory GT. Hope this helps.

68sunlitgold

bindman99,
classicguy is correct, you had to have a 302 or larger to get the GT option. Anyone could order the options of heacy duty susp and wide oval tires separately on the 289 which looks like your car has. So to answer your last question, YES the original owner ordered most (still missing the exhaust option) of the additional GT options (that is over the ones that came with the CS package) but got a 289. He actually saved money because if he would have purchased a 302 with the GT package along with the CS package, he would have had to pay for the CS and GT options even though over half of the GT options where deleted when you purchased the CS option, ie stripes, GT badges, and fog lights.
Hope this answers your question.
Doug

Just to add a couple of things. Doug answered most of this...

--About 5-8% of all GT/CS cars are also GTs. This IS rare!!

--Sometime during the spring of '68, Ford switched blocks for the C-code from the 289 to a 302. This didn't change anything about the GT option. The thing about the "C" code is that it's a 2bbl. carb. GT cars needed a 4bbl (or 2bbl. 390) to qualify.

--When you got a GT option on a GT/CS, even though some things were deleted (GT stripes, gas cap, etc.) from the CS package superceding it--you still got charged the same amount for the GT package from Ford!!! It was something like $83.00

--The GT items to look for on a CS is: heavy duty front and rear springs, (factory!!) dual exhaust with valence, GT center caps on the styled steel (rally) wheels (either argent or dealer upgrade chrome).

Maybe this helps. A Marti report would spell out this option if you need to know for sure.

Paul.