• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Looking for PPG formula for 68 Highland Green

dalorzo_f

NOT the PPG/Ditzler color number - Ford M3067 Ditzler/PPG 43644, but the actual mix PPG would use to make the color. Base, tint, etc.

Locally I can get the '67 Dark Moss Green, similar color, but my shop has been told by PPG here the Highland Green is only available in some new water-based paint which they can't spray as it requires a differnt booth, gun, blah, blah, blah....

But if I can get the formula PPG locally says they can mix it in the "standard" non-water-based paint...

somethingspecial

I'll call my paint guy today and get the formula. He has it on file from my car. The formula on my can washed out. It is a two stage.

Ruppstang

The original paint codes were Lucite-4869L Duco-4869 and Dulux-4869D

somethingspecial

Highland Green Base Coat Formula

This is using Du Pont Chroma Premier Base Color. 4869F
1968 Ford Code: 3067 Highland Green-Effect Metallic/iridescent content>5 Grams/Liter

Tinting Guide:_____ Mix Size: 64.0oz.
#__________ DISC.____________________________Grams:
4530S_______FLOP CONTROL AGENT______________324.2
806J ________HS BLACK________________________591.7
832J________GREEN___________________________790.7
890J________TRANSOX YELO____________________835.9
810J________FINE ALUMINUM___________________ 852.9
813J________MED COURSE AL___________________866.6
62320F_____ BINDER__________________________1771.7

This is straight from my base coat can, and confirmed by my paint guy. I hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

franklinair

Here's what my paint shop gave me for PPG Global, Base coat:

D777_______1646.6grams
D740_______2669.0grams
D767_______3258.1grams
D772_______3760.6grams
D759_______4072.7grams
D753_______4102.2grams
D790_______4110.7grams
This is for a BaseCoat/ClearCoat application, based on the original Highland Green single stage formula from long ago.
Let me know how you make out, or if you need more info.

Neil

somethingspecial

Neil, I took the liberty and cut and pasted your formula in the Restoration Reference section. Folks now have both formulas for Highland Green in one spot. Thanks.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Well... all I can say is there is about 0% chance of matching original.

I have 4 test colors of "Highland green" from different paint vendors and they all look very different... so much for any restored car looking "original"... just going to pick a Glasurit cutom color as all were a bit light for what I wanted for the project...

franklinair

Quite a quandary. 4 mixes and 4 different shades from prescribed formulas? All too light from the original Highland Green?
Do you have an original sample piece with the original color? I've seen Mike's (somethingspecial) Highland Green C/S and it looked right to me (and apparently to several Gold Card MCA judges). It would be worthwhile to see your 4 samples compared to his car color to see any differences.
I'm kinda curious, as my C/S is Highland Green (repainted) and I'd like to know how close it is to the original color.

Neil

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

I don't have original. I have PPG in old style and new watermix, same vendor, "same" formula, different colors. All "simialr" and if you saw in on a car sitting alone it would not be obvious. But side by side, no doubt the colors differ... I forget which other brands my painter mentioned, will try to take some pics of the samples and see what the camera shows

Ruppstang

Neil,
I have a original paint chip chart. If we get together some time I could bring it.
Marty

franklinair

I'll be in Concord in June. I'll try to remember to pack one of the tail light caps from inside the trunk. To the best of my knowledge its original, not repainted, even though the exterior of the car was.

Neil

Ruppstang

Neil sounds like a plan. We have so much to pack for the tally room and to show a car. Please remind me a week or so before. Marty