• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Installing GT/CS Side Stripes

Russ

I just installed the side stripes on my GT/CS and thought I would share a "restoration tip". I used a laser level to insure the stripe went on perfectly straight, and the results were great. I used blue painters tape to mark where the stripe was to be placed rather than leaving the laser light on during the installation. Using this method, I had the stripes installed in a couple of hours. Hope this helps, Russ

Attachments

• Lee-Tate Final 002.jpg
    Lee-Tate Final 002.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Lee-Tate Final 003.jpg
    Lee-Tate Final 003.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Lee-Tate Final 004.jpg
    Lee-Tate Final 004.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 51
  • Lee-Tate Final 010.jpg
    Lee-Tate Final 010.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 59

franklinair

Russ;
The car looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car 'up close and personal' in September in Asheville @ the Biltmore Estate MCA show. I'll have my C/S there as well.
When you installed the stripes, did you experience a tendency for the narrow stripe to lift as you removed the protective paper covering?
I followed your advice using a laser beam, but I ran the blue painter's masking tape the full length. This gave me an edge to butt the edge of the stripe against. (Just had to allow 1/4" for the edge of the protective paper edge)

Neil

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Neil, I did not have any trouble with the thin stripe, but the gap at the leading edge of the door was a challenge. Also, I was very careful cleaning the area where the stripe would go. I used enamel reducer to clean any polish/dirt. I want to see your stripe when you are finished. Russ

logue636@comcast.net

I see you have snow on the driveway. I can finally see mine. I hear your getting another foot of snow. Don't send it here... Your GT/CS is beautiful. Lobo.

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

It's snowing as I write this...and we got another foot last night! The news stated that Flagstaff has had the most snow of any large OR small city in the United States this season. We have had over 125 inches so far (Anchorage, AK has had 46 inches), and March is one of our snowiest months!! I'm just glad my barn is heated. Russ