• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A little closer to singing like Willie Nelson!

I purchased a 302/C4 combo this weekend and also a cherry picker from CostCo. After 23 years of being totally and completely dead, the CS is getting really close to being "...on the road again!!!"

The 302/C4 currently residing in the engine compartment is only about 8-10 bolts from being ready to hook up to the hoist and pull out--maybe by next weekend I'll have it out of there.

It still blows my mind how clean and straight and rust-free this car is! I've never seen floorpans like these inside (I pulled the carpet this weekend as well), and the underside is excellent. I think I'm looking at the red primer/undercoating spray on the underside of the floorpans that I've heard about, but I'm not sure. There are just major cobwebs underneath and that's it--no grime at all! It's almost like looking at a new car compared to the Mustang's I'm used to working on.

I'm being torn on what to DO with this car. I had decided that I'm over-extended with projects and I was going to get rid of this car (the CS) and keep my 64.5 "D" code, but the CS is just so much of a nicer car in better shape. And it has power disc brakes and power steering (unlike the "D"); the only negative is that it's an automatice vs. the 4-speed manual in the "D." This hobby is going to either put me in the poor house or an insane asylum!!!

StraightSix

Deadstang, you think like me. I love manual transmissions. The 3-speed on the floor was the thing that lured me to my GTCS, before I even knew what a GT/CS was.

Tell me this: if the GT/CS is so nice, does it even need a lot of work/money to make it enjoyable? If not, just make it driveable, shine it up, and drive it some. Put your money into the '65. That way you can have your cake and eat it too!

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Deadstead,
did you get an original 302 or just a remanufactured one? I would make sure you keep the original one, no matter what shape it is in becasue it will always be of value when it comes time you decide to sell the CS :'(
Doug

OP
OP
G

"Nice" is a relative term when talking about old Mustangs!!! I'm used to working on my "very inexpensive" T-Bird (the car looks like it should be in the movie "Deliverance") and the "D," which has NOT been garaged for the past 23 years! It's true, (I believe) once I get this engine/tranny combo installed, it will cost me very little to get the beast rolling under its own steam again.

But, the CS has the original paint and I live in western Oregon where it rains 9 months out of the year. The car sat in a carport and sun must've come across every day in only a couple of places, because the paint is peeling off only on the top of the driver's fender and 1/2 of the roof. The rest of the paint is intact and reasonable. Maybe I'm starting to tweak about my Mustangs, but I can't let this car deteriorate any further--it really should have paint before it gets driven in the rain at all, and that's some serious dough for a good quality job. The "D" also needs paint and a little very minor rust repair (door bottoms, right QP). The paint on the T-Bird is unmentionable!

What it all boils down to, is that I don't make a lot of money, and I have 5 old rigs that I'm trying to maintain/restore/drive. I couldn't help myself and had to pick up each "hot deal" that came my way, so now I am spread so thin that I can't really afford to seriously work on ANY of them. The money aspect aside, I only have covered parking for 3 (2 in the garage and one in a CostCo shelter), so 2 have to sit out in the rain. I am currently driving the T-Bird to work--I toss a tarp in the trunk and cover it while it sits out each day (and like this at home, too). It breaks my heart to think of any of my cars deteriorating while in my care, but I'm just to set up or able to be an old car rescue society ;-) And the final problem I have is that the other half is "on me" that I have too many cars--he "only" has 3. So I think it's reasonable to weed down a car or two from my stable--it's just deciding which one(s)!

OP
OP
G

And yes, I bought the "new" 302/C4 from a private guy, so there was no core trade-in. The original 302 block and tranny will go with the car when/if I sell her. I'm going to use the original intake manifold, 4-barrel carburetor, power steering pump, and various other little bits and pieces.

StraightSix

Well, you should only keep the cars you really are in love with. Unfortunately, it sounds like the GT/CS isn't on the top of the list -- the T-bird and D-code 'Stang are, right? I'm sure there are many that would love to have the GT/CS, and could afford to make her shine. She should also fetch a pretty penny, giving you more money for the others. Yes, I think the investment potential is higher for the GT/CS, which is still coming into its own on the market. But your time is worth more than anything, and you should be happy with the fruits of your labor. If you might end up with something that you aren't entirely happy with after all that trouble, then it might be better to "jettison the load." Or you could trade it for a GT/CS with a manual tranny and sell off one or two of your other cars that you didn't mention ;D

-Winston