• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine Genealogy

I'm trying to figure out where the engine in my GT/CS came from.
The vehicle Vin is 8R01C144844 built 02-29-1968
The cast block number just above the starter is 0/C80E-6015A 8K15 which I have read means it's a 302 block cast on 10-15-1968. So that means that the engine can't be the original.
Today I was able to use someone's digital camera and take a picture of the number stamped on the block behind the intake manifold. The number is 94524624.
Anyone have an idea where my cars engine came from?
Thanks, Greencsmachine

Mosesatm

Some of the digits in the VIN behind the intake don't look correct. If you're sure the first digit is a 9 then the engine was installed in a '69 Ford. Can you post the photo?

I just realized you have Timmknz's old highland green car. Did you purchase the car from Tim McKenzie or someone else?

OP
OP
G
Mosesatm, Thanks for the reply. I bought Tim McKenzie's GTCS in 2011.
I've attached a picture of the stamped engine number. See if you see the same numbers I do.

Thanks, Greencsmachine

Attachments

• IMG_1206c.jpg
    IMG_1206c.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 60

8R01S

The V.I.N. stamp is 9H524624. "9" 1969 "H" Lorain, OH. plant. Mercurys were built there. First V.I.N. numeral "5" will be a Mercury. The 302 probably came out of a Cougar or Cyclone. The casting date code will probably be between June and September, the stamped assembly date probably August to October, for a vehicle produced around September or October 1968 for the 24624th vehicle off the line for the 1969 model year.

CougarCJ

The V.I.N. stamp is 9H524624. "9" 1969 "H" Lorain, OH. plant. Mercurys were built there. First V.I.N. numeral "5" will be a Mercury. The 302 probably came out of a Cougar or Cyclone. The casting date code will probably be between June and September, the stamped assembly date probably August to October, for a vehicle produced around September or October 1968 for the 24624th vehicle off the line for the 1969 model year.

Not from a 1969 Cougar. Those were not built at Lorain, and not available with 302 engines unless it was a Boss 302. :wink:

Mosesatm

According to WIKI it could be any of the following:
Ranchero
Econoline
Cyclone
Fairlane
Montego

Mosesatm

From what I can find it's from a Canadian truck or a Galaxie/Marquis. C is Ontario Truck, and G is Chicago.

OP
OP
G
Thanks to all of you for the info. I would have replied sooner but my computer died so I had to barrow one temporarily and while I see if mine can be repaired.

Thanks Greencsmachine

"Computers, a love hate relationship"
I love em' cause I can source parts for my CTCS, I hate em' cause when they break they really break.