• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Powder coat

BOSS3024ME

I have a ton of powder coating done (at work) and was thinking of starting to have as much stuff coated as I can. anything unboltable can be blasted and powder coated any thoughts?

I would do most of the original black items in semi gloss black but again do not want to make any "bad" decisions....

Midnight Special

...Why on such a straight car? Personally (down the road), I would hesitate to buy a car that had all that done for wondering "why" and what else was done. 'Just my immediate thoughts...

...But then again - I've bought worse cars ;-)

Attachments

• 2509.jpg
    2509.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 46

rvrtrash

I did much the same thing with my chassis parts, but used NAPA chassis black paint. I did it to keep bare metal parts from rusting, and I like the look. If you can do it on the cheap at work, I say go for it.

Steve

dalorzo_f

I did a lot of brackets, etc a few years back and would not do it again. Initially they do look great, but once they get a few chips no easy way to touch it up, except to remove and recoat. With paint if you have the same colors/cans you can touchup to match.

On items like convertible top frames with holes bushings and captive nylon bushes it fills the holes and has to be filed (pre-chiiped, in a way) and the heat can damage parts not capable of taking the temps.

If the above are not a concern, it is a hard wearing solvent resistant surface that gives a pretty good look.

x-codegtcs

I have PC parts before and never had a chipping issue...the stuff just does not come off if done right...with that said, it just does not come off!!! LOL I am sure you know that! I would PC as many small brackets as you can - especially brake backing plates etc as brake cleaner will not bother the PC.

dalorzo_f

Crank down an alternator, PS, or smog bracket adjusting bolt a few times and see how it holds up... all mine are chipped after a few years... if its a trailer queen it may be "forever". It is extremely durable, but in daily use it is not indestructible (in my experience).

Getting a "right" finish can also be tricky, if you want a correct SGB look. Powdercoat has a different look to paint.

Minor, but a consideration as the PO asked for pros/cons...

x-codegtcs

Richard - I would bet the coating was too thick...small job shops don't control the coating thickness very well as the profit per part doesn't warrant the proper technique that a mass production environment would require for cost savings. A really good PC job will be almost as thin as paint. A lot depends on the parts you are coating as the faraday and flow are opposite of each other (paint v PC). You are right that the finish is not an exact match unless you happen across a specially formulated batch that matches. So, if you just powder coat the whole engine bay, no one will notice! ;)