• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Steering wheel and trunk bumper question

calspecialchic

I am in the process of restoring my mustang. I am confused about a few things though. I know my car does not have trunk bumpers. But when I was looking at the parts list for All Classics Mustang it referred to trunk bumpers being specific for GTCS and Shelby's. So I asked about them, and he thought they were on there. same kind as used under the hood. Then when referring to Paul's GTCS book from the 80's? it showed how a seal was used. Well, mine are no longer there. I dont see that you can order that part. Can I just use some extra trunk weatherstripping and put it there? Hope thats not a dumb thought.
Also, I am confused on what is the original steering wheel. I have standard interior, only deluxe belts. When I look in catalogs, all I see are 65-66 steering wheels.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Mosesatm

I am in the process of restoring my mustang. I am confused about a few things though. I know my car does not have trunk bumpers. But when I was looking at the parts list for All Classics Mustang it referred to trunk bumpers being specific for GTCS and Shelby's. So I asked about them, and he thought they were on there. same kind as used under the hood. Then when referring to Paul's GTCS book from the 80's? it showed how a seal was used. Well, mine are no longer there. I dont see that you can order that part. Can I just use some extra trunk weatherstripping and put it there? Hope thats not a dumb thought.
Also, I am confused on what is the original steering wheel. I have standard interior, only deluxe belts. When I look in catalogs, all I see are 65-66 steering wheels.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Paul's book is correct and the parts list is incorrect. According to Paul, in a recent thread, the trunk bumpers were used on Shelbys but not on our cars. Our cars used a sort of sponge tape. No one reproduces it but someone here may know of a product that is similar.

Do you need the entire steering wheel, with the pad? Many '68 Fords and Mercurys used the same wheel with different pads. NPD has new ones for $210 (Item 3600-3) but you also need the pad, the horn rim, the inner pad, and the cups.

OP
OP
C

calspecialchic

Thank you. Yeah, any thoughts on what to do about that sponge tape would be great.
Yes, I need the whole steering wheel. I will put it on my Christmas wish list.

P

PNewitt

Well....I hate to give away the big secret...but here it is:

You can use grey weatherstrip foam tape, and cut it to size (dimentions are in my book). Go buy a roll, (like at Lowe's) use some for your GT/CS trunk lid, and the rest on your home's windows and doors....LOL!

Paul.

P

PNewitt

If anyone is wondering...the foam tape strips are is 7/8" wide, by 4 1/2" long.

It's a medium grey, and about 1/4" thick. If anyone has the original ones on thier CS, they will be very flat; under 1/8" thick. Shrinkage comes with time.

When I first read this thread's title, I thought: "Well, the steering wheel doesn't attach to the trunk bumper".

LOL
Paul N.

OP
OP
C

calspecialchic

What color?

My interior is parchment. Is there a particular color I should have? Obviously not blue or something like that, but are there parchment colored steering wheels out there or is it best to go with wood or something like that. I have not seen parchment so that is why I am wondering.

Mosesatm

My interior is parchment. Is there a particular color I should have? Obviously not blue or something like that, but are there parchment colored steering wheels out there or is it best to go with wood or something like that. I have not seen parchment so that is why I am wondering.

They are out there but my guess is that they are RARE. Here is a picture of a parchment steering wheel. Wood may not be a bad idea.

Attachments

• Parchment Deluxe Interior .jpg
    Parchment Deluxe Interior .jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 27

case12

The interior pad is black on my parchment wheel. The wheel itself has a cover (not the wrap type) which makes it look really nice. It can be painted with parchment paint (avaible from most mustang parts companys). I have painted spots of mine. So, get a 68 wheel, take out the center section, tape off the horn rim, and paint away. It should look fine. You can check the pics in my gallery for what mine looks like. Casey