• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What do you like the most about the 1968 Mustang?

classicsguy

We all love our 1968 GT/CS and HCS and specially love the fact that these (GT/CS) were made only during one year. A lot of people like the 1968 model year for different reasons even if its not a GT/CS or HCS. What do you like the most about the 1968 Mustang?

Midnight Special

Interesting question in that I'm having to think... Personally, I never really paid much attention to them in the old days unless they were Shelby or GT/CS. I think it was because there were so many around (like 65 & 66s) and I was for the most part a 69 - 70 Mach & Boss fan. Nowadays, with acquired history, familiarity, rarity and fellowship; I have to say it was something that I just grew into after having my first big block CS back in 1978.

Pretty easy to work on - ability to have a big block in a small car - timeless and classic styling that provokes intrigue and conversation (IMO) over the many 65 & 66 coupes and etc... Truthfully though, had it not been for the GT/CS, I probably would've stayed with big block Machs or had a Boss (although we do have a basic coupe that TJ loves to work on & drive :)

Attachments

• IM000908_1.jpg
    IM000908_1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IM000909_1.jpg
    IM000909_1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IM002284.jpg
    IM002284.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 40

obwan93001

For me, the subtle differences/changes that set it apart from the '67 (and older) like the chrome scoop emblems, the '67 had the funky pronged ones and the '68 didn't. The bit wider body style gives the '67/'68 models a better look/meaner stance than the earlier ones. Just having bigger/sportier tires/wheels make a big difference in looks when you put one next to another w/stock tires/wheels (less wider). I also like that Ford began incorporating more and more safety features in '68 like the padded steering wheel and collapsable steering column. I also like that the '68 models don't use shims in the UCAs as in the '65/'66 models. Less things for me to replace and look for!

I do have to say that aside from the GT/CS and HCS my other favorite '68 is the Fastback. I had one back in the late '80s and should never have sold it, still kick myself for it. What does it for me w/the GT/CS and HCS is the GT look they have, w/the scoops, stripes, fog lights, tail lights, etc...

Oscar

Ruppstang

We have both 67 & 68's and I love them both. The things I like about the 68 are the safty features, extra padding in the seats and the quarter ornament design is much easier to clean than the cheese grater style of 67. The biggest thing is that Ford offered the GT-CS and the HCS.
We bought this 68 to go with our 68 Cessna 172. We put over 7K on it last year. Marty

Attachments

• 003_crop.jpg
    003_crop.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 37

NosAvrenim

To be honest, I still favor the '67s over the '68s -- something about the side scoops that I just love. I had a 6-banger '67 coupe in college that I was restoring but had to sell when I ran out of funds (so some of the preference probably results from my wishing I never sold that car).

That said, it wasn't until I came across this site a couple of years ago (didn't join until I bought my first GT/CS) that I fell in love with the GT/CS, it's history and styling. I stumbled on this site after seeing a HCS for sale on ebay and wanted to learn a little more about what it was and discovered the GT/CS. (Would still love to get a '67 HCS one day too!)

Overall, comparing the '67/68 models to the '64-66s, here is a quick breakdown:
  • Compared to the '64-'66s, the '67/'68s do have a wider, more aggressive/athletic stance that appeals to me. When you put the two next to each other, the '64-'66s just look puny.
  • I've never been a huge fan of the gills by the headlights in the '64-'66s; the smooth lines on the '67/'68s looks much cleaner.
  • The concave taillights and rear end design on the '67/68 just seem to integrate better into the overall design than the convex design on the '64-'66s.
  • The interior of both the '67s and '68s (yes, I'll even include the woodgrain here -- I tend to like the '67 deluxe interior better than the woodgrain on the '68s) seems to be a bit more refined and balanced than the earlier models.
  • '68 was the last year of the front quarter windows on the driver and passenger windows. While they can sometimes be a pain, the added air flow that they provide (particularly when you don't have A/C) is invaluable on hot days and helps to eliminate window fogging.

I'm a huge fan of Mustangs (all years) and '67/'68 models particularly so. But as others have said on other threads, the '67/'68s were a refinement of the earlier body style. Which makes it no surprise that Ford looked to these years when designing the S197 body.

whodat

I alway's liked the body styles of the 67 and 68. I liked the cheese grater side panels of the 67. My uncle had a 67 and talked about the Shelby's all the time. Then I noticed the GT/CS and since it was made from a 68 this is what I liked the best. Because even if the side panels were cheese grater one couldn't see it anyway. I wasn't a fan of the side marker light's on the 68.

gofastguy

To be honest, I still favor the '67s over the '68s

I'm with you on the 67's. I think I prefer the body style without the side marker lights. I kind of stumbled onto the CS cars when I couldn't find a nice affordable fastback and am sure glad I did since I have something now that's far more "Special"...

rvrtrash

To answer the original question, the thing I like the most is that they made the CS and I like the front end on the '68 Shelby's. I have to admit, without that, my favorites are the '71-72 fastbacks with the '70 Mach's and Boss's being a close second.

Steve

GT/CS S Code

Sorry ...

I'm sorry to have to say that my absolute personal favorite Mustang is still the classic 65 Fastback! I've always loved the overall styling of these cars and especially the original, classic Shelby GT350 version. SOMEDAY ... we WILL finish our own 65 GT350 clone car and as much as I love driving our "arrest me" red '68 390 GT/CS, I will likely spend more time driving the 65 FB!

Sorry folks ...
:embarass:

Attachments

• Al's Mustang7 resized.jpg
    Al's Mustang7 resized.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Al's Mustang5 resized.jpg
    Al's Mustang5 resized.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Al's Mustang3 resized.jpg
    Al's Mustang3 resized.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 1965 GT-350#6.jpg
    1965 GT-350#6.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 26
  • ph6004.jpg
    ph6004.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 1965 GT-350 quarter shot 2 resized.jpg
    1965 GT-350 quarter shot 2 resized.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 31
  • 1965 GT-350#5.jpg
    1965 GT-350#5.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Al's Mustang resized.jpg
    Al's Mustang resized.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 20
  • GT-350poster.jpg
    GT-350poster.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 22
  • WhiteLightning.jpg
    WhiteLightning.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 23

p51

Well...

The 1964 - 1970 stangs had the best styling, hands down. And...
The 1964 - 1966 were a little to small for my taste while...
The 1969 - 1970 were a little to large but...
The 1967 - 1968 were *just* the right size :smile:

Also, I like coupes more than fastbacks or convertibles but I also like the Shelby styling leaving the 1968 GTCS the only choice...
...was there any other? :wink:

dalorzo_f

That I own 3!

Coupe and convertible, best lines of a Mustang....ever...

For a fastback gotta admit I'd go 65-66, just a tighter, sportier look than the slide into the bloated early 70's slopebacks...

JMHO

hookedtrout

Well...

The 1964 - 1970 stangs had the best styling, hands down. And...
The 1964 - 1966 were a little to small for my taste while...
The 1969 - 1970 were a little to large but...
The 1967 - 1968 were *just* the right size :smile:

Also, I like coupes more than fastbacks or convertibles but I also like the Shelby styling leaving the 1968 GTCS the only choice...
...was there any other? :wink:

You expressed my feelings exactly! Especially the size comments, my first car was a 65 Mustang but they just seem smaller and dainty not muscular like the 68's and on but they did get to big.

rvrtrash

For a fastback gotta admit I'd go 65-66, just a tighter, sportier look than the slide into the bloated early 70's slopebacks...

JMHO

So do you not like the Falcon XB GT's, since they're the same size? I always thought those were cool cars as well.

Steve

dalorzo_f

Didn't say I did not like them, just a preference... displaced yank here in Oz and have actually been looking for an XB project but they are stupidly expensive.

And are you talking sedan or hardtop, two different versions of the "XB GT"? :)

To the question; yes, given the choice of an XB or 65-66 fastback I like the lines of the 65-66 fastback. The XB (73-76) is "similar" to the same era mustangs and has the bulkier body of the era.

There is absolutely no comparison between the lines of an XB and a 65-66 fastback...

yellowxbgt.jpg

rvrtrash

The one in the picture is the one I like. It looks like a cross between a '70-'71 Torino and a '71-'72 Mach 1, both cars that I like. Is that a factory sunroof in that picture? Never seen that before! You're going to cry when you hear this. In 1978 I was looking at a '65 Fastback on a Ford dealers lot. It had a weird back window, spare tire where the seat went, fiberglass front end that didn't fit very well, and they wanted $6,000 for it (it cost more than a new car). I thought they were nuts but went home and started reading (pre-internet days and I was young and dumb). Went back to try and buy it and it was gone. I ran into the guy the bought it a few years later and yes, it was a true R code GT350, 1 of 36 I believe.

Steve

Midnight Special

...I get those stories a lot, Steve. When I bought my '69 Mach, I took it up to the airport to show a retired airline pilot friend. He said "yeah, I had one of those... It was smaller and I got it from a rental outfit... It had GT350H on it... I hated that gawdam thing, cuz I couldn't keep it runnin' right, needed brakes and my wife hated it too!... I finally sold it to some kid for 1000 bucks..."